Pro Wrestling Only

Is the empire crumbling before our eyes?

flyonthewall2983

On 6/28/2022 at 7:31 PM, C.S. said:

From Cageside Seats:

In the Observer’s Daily Update, Dave Meltzer notes that neither WWE nor Jerry McDevitt have commented on the updated Vince McMahon rape allegation. Meltzer speculates that’s because the media hasn’t picked up the story, so it “doesn’t appear to be harmful to McMahon’s position right now.”

So, nothing will happen. Nothing ever happens. As usual with the mainstream media, Wrestling Doesn't Matter.

The only consolation is that one day Vince will die and he better hopes that there is no afterlife because I don't think there is any religion on this planet that would predict a happy "beyond" for him.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 hours ago, sek69 said:

So it looks like Sasha got her release on June 10, but the company hasn't publicized it yet because "they are hoping the new management can smooth things over". I guess we know Bruce's top job priority is right now.

If anything, it's not Bruce that they're gonna send to smooth things over. I think Stephanie would be better off doing it herself because there's no way I see Sasha wanting to do anything with any of Vince's stooges, Bruce being the Stooge-in-Chief.

11 minutes ago, Embrodak said:

They signed Logan Paul lol

I mean he was really good in his first match, he clearly gets it when it comes to pro wrestling, and it's not like being a douchebag would count against anyone wanting to work for WWE. 

11 minutes ago, sek69 said:

I mean he was really good in his first match, he clearly gets it when it comes to pro wrestling, and it's not like being a douchebag would count against anyone wanting to work for WWE. 

I’m not saying he’s bad, I just think it’s funny they have to outsource their talent farming to social media because they have so much trouble finding people with personality who want to wrestle.

I dunno, while Logan Paul was quite dickhead, he seems more levelheaded now, at least to my knowledge His brother, on the other hand...

Either way, he will probably wrestle like 5 matches per year. Sweet deal for events like Summerslam, WM and the such.

WWE has mostly been getting those "outsiders" right, to be honest. McAfee, Knoxville, Logan Paul, all of them add something positive.

Has it ever been discussed/mentioned whether Nick Khan has any sort of history, cursory knowledge, or dare I say, passion, for pro-wrestling?

Because if you're Nick Khan, your biggest takeaways from WrestleMania is that the WWE would do better business if they just went ahead and made it Celebrity Deathmatch. I mean, based on crowd reactions, Logan Paul and Johnny Knoxville and Pat McAfee were right up there with Roman Reigns and Kevin Owens in terms of crowd reaction. 

In Nick Khan's eyes, why would the WWE need to look for the next Seth Rollins or AJ Styles when next year's WrestleMania can be headlined by Bad Bunny or the LA Rams' Cooper Kupp?

And I understand that they need other wrestlers to fill their weekly TV shows yadda yadda yadda, but in terms of who they're really building the business around, I can totally get see why they see more value in Ronda Rousey and Logan Paul and less in Big E and Bayley, even though I'm not sure the numbers really support it. 

But here's the thing, I don't think any of the celebrities are going to headline any shows anytime soon. In fact they had more non-wrestling related names headline Wrestlemanias in the 80s and 90s than they do now. 

The difference is that instead of using one of the biggest boxers of all time or an actor to a popular show, they are using a streamer or a former NFL player-turned podcaster. Their business model has remained the same.

Nick Khan may not have passion for professional wrestling, but he knows there are limits to celebrity participation.

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

Honestly Logan Paul is probably worth more than Rousey at this point. He still has a pretty large fanbase and Ronda's purpose in life seems to be as unlikeable as possible. 

You are not wrong there. The way Rousey has come across ever since she left UFC has been interesting. It just goes to show you how good the UFC public relations department, and Dana White were at hiding how unlikeable she is as a human being. The only mistake they made was letting her coach a season of The Ultimate Fighter because she came off terribly there. By that point the mask had really started to slip. And then the interviews she gave in the press after she finally lost exposed what she is really like to the rest of the world. You would think she would be perfect for WWE because if there was ever a person that should not be giving an interview without a pre-approved script replete with bulleted talking points, it’s Rousey.

There’s a lesson there to the difference between an outside celebrity and a trained wrestler. The act gets stale. Ronda just being Ronda doesn’t mean as much each time out. Now she has to get over via her skill as a wrestler. And Ronda year four isn’t as engaging as Becky or Bayley or Asuka year four.

1 hour ago, Al said:

There’s a lesson there to the difference between an outside celebrity and a trained wrestler. The act gets stale. Ronda just being Ronda doesn’t mean as much each time out. Now she has to get over via her skill as a wrestler. And Ronda year four isn’t as engaging as Becky or Bayley or Asuka year four.

Ronda won't get "it" and will never get "it" on a WWE TV level - angles, promos-wise. However, in her defence, her matches are almost always good and compelling. 

But social media-wise has been a real story the last two weeks. Nattie's Twitter replies have genuinely needled Ronda hard. Like when Becky tried to smack talk "Ronnie The Little Weirdo" on the platform. Ronda just showed all the emotional maturity of a toddler.

Alvarez and Meltzer confirmed that Ronda wrote this promo. Nattie has followed me for YEARS but I got a very rare DM from her about it and when I said Ronda brought a gun to a knife fight here.

Remember Ronda is the babyface here. The promo wasn't a counter to a heel but this weird evisceration of Nattie.

6 minutes ago, sek69 said:

When I saw Nattie and Ronda going back and forth on Twitter (and Nattie dunking on her at every turn) I just knew Ronda would end up gotten to over it. 

You can knock Nattie's in-ring and promos all day and/or be just TIRED of seeing her on TV in the same basic slot for nearly 15 years. But her social media dunks towards Ronda have been really funny and caustic. And ultimately always in the right.

And overall you just can't shame a Hart. But Ronda didn't understand that and keeps making herself look worse.

That promo was solid, imo. A much different side of her personality than I've seen. Probably the best promo I've seem from her really. Actually one of Nattie's was one of her better ones too. Not really a fan of the actual verbiage,  but deliveries were surprisingly solid to me.

Watched the promo. Don't see anything wrong with it. Stiff but to the point.

But hey, if people aren't satisfied with Ronda's social game, WWE signed former MMA star (I guess, I dunno, I don't watch it) Valerie Loureda. And judging from that video where she is already whining about people "not knowing her story" and "just being a girl with a dream" who "has trained every day of her life" in the most cringe way imaginable, all the while already throwing some WWE corporate love, well, I hope they train her to be a heel from the get go. I dunno. Social media, influencers and this kinda shit has really damaged people's mindset.... I wonder if in ten years WWE will basically be a bunch of influensports-entertainers (I should copyright this shit right now).

25 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Speaking of signings, Io Shirai's contract is expiring soon. Unless WWE is purposefully making her lay low for a while, she is gone. 

Imagine losing Sasha, Io, and maybe Naomi in a matter of months. Quite the fucking hit.

Charlotte is not impressed.:P

(and yeah, of course)

28 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Speaking of signings, Io Shirai's contract is expiring soon. Unless WWE is purposefully making her lay low for a while, she is gone. 

Imagine losing Sasha, Io, and maybe Naomi in a matter of months. Quite the fucking hit.

Well, 2 out of those 3 are pretty much self-inflicted wounds. In Io's case, it seems she's genuinely homesick and wants to return to Japan. She'll more than likely work STARDOM on the regular with the one-offs in the United States when needed. That's the best of both worlds for her.