Pro Wrestling Only

Is the empire crumbling before our eyes?

flyonthewall2983

"Kane" Glen Jacobs is a useless piece of shit.

Wasn't sure where to put this, so here is as good as any, because I'm sure Kane was influenced heavily by the radical Republican political culture of WWE (even though he himself identifies as an even more radical Rand Paul libertarian, he certainly wasted no time puckering up and kissing Trump's ass in his book). 

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, FMKK said:

People see the guy reading some Ayn Rand bullshit backstage and they're just like "wow, that dude had a book!" And now he's got a reputation as a smart guy instead of as a fucking dullard.

It was always funny how wrestlers used to call him smart cuz he...*Gasp* read books. Talk about low standards

On 9/23/2020 at 11:13 PM, KawadaSmile said:

Weren't they going ti be investigated last time they did that?

Yes, the lawsuit that a lot of the Saudi stuff came out of alleged that they withheld material information to keep the stock price high and then sold off shares before announcing the bad news that lowered the price. 

Another sad example of the toxic WWE culture:

Sami Zayn on assimilating to WWE culture: I still didn't have that realization, that heartbreaking moment where you realize, 'Oh, you can't just be yourself' because you have to put on this facade and if anything, that's a testament to how amazing my life was. I only learned that lesson at 28! Most people learned that lesson when they're six!

More here: https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2020/09/sami-zayn-recalls-wwe-star-talking-to-him-about-being-675344/

It appears as though talent can continue to Twitch using their own names.  That doesn't rebuild the audiences they've built overnight, but the company is certainly within its rights to participate to the extent that the wrestlers are using company IP, i.e. their ring names.  Curious how this would affect someone like Samoa Joe where the company doesn't own the name.  

18 minutes ago, WingedEagle said:

It appears as though talent can continue to Twitch using their own names.  That doesn't rebuild the audiences they've built overnight, but the company is certainly within its rights to participate to the extent that the wrestlers are using company IP, i.e. their ring names.  Curious how this would affect someone like Samoa Joe where the company doesn't own the name.  

This is why Xavier Woods uses the name of Austin Creed for UpUpDownDown and LeftRightLeftRight. He owns it and can grow/expand into the gaming world without WWE interference. He also just started an UUDD merch store, so there are ways of wrestlers doing what they want if handled correctly. If there's anyone who I think could leave WWE over this, it's Woods. The money he's making away from WWE has to be incredible.

I'm not 100% sure how Twitter really works with influencers and all that. Are there WWE personalities who are influencers? Who have side deals to promote other products? I don't have a Twitter account myself so I don't follow say, Nikki Bella, who I would assume has a high enough profile to be paid to tweet about certain products. 

I'm guessing Woods is just taking the next logical step to secure his own Twitter audience (is that what it's called?) and further establish his own brand outside of the company. Which is smart. I don't think he's trying to get out of the company, though. Then again, at this point, if he's saved enough money, making enough money outside the ring, and has offers to further transition into being a "media personality"/host, leaving a company run by a family who is chummy with our openly racist President wouldn't surprise me at all.

On 9/30/2020 at 8:56 AM, rovert said:

It is but Sami is really, really annoying and socially unaware in real life. Some people are entertained by it and others really not. 

I remember Jericho and Steen talking about that when Steen was on Jericho's podcast.  Steen is obviously one of Sami's closest friends and even he admitted that Sami is annoying as hell a lot of the time.

13 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

Man, this is completely fucked.

That can't be legal, right? I mean they obviously can stop talent use the companies IP on Twitch or whatever, but I really doubt that they can say "go on, use whatever name you want, we will just pay you less". Sure, you can setup contracts to work that way, but you cannot interfere in contracts that way.

1 minute ago, Dale Wolfe said:

Why couldn't they just apply to SAG? That's what I don't get 

I would imagine they get tons of anti-union propaganda thrown at them non stop, all the usual "unions just take your money, the company can help with your workplace issues better than a union can" type stuff. 

Wal-Mart had an entire team that would swoop in to deprogram everyone if they caught wind of any unionizing attempts,  one can only tremble at what a Vince-run company does.

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure if this is big enough to bump the thread but it doesn't fit the Weekly thread. 

Fightful posted that around a half dozen wrestlers negged out on signing new contracts stating they want to see what the future holds for WWE's plans post COVID. The summary I get is that their expectations (especially in comparison to other offers given in 2019) were well different to what WWE actually offered now. 

Choosing not to resign is nothing new, but I can't recall it being in such numbers before. 

12 minutes ago, Rah said:

I'm not sure if this is big enough to bump the thread but it doesn't fit the Weekly thread. 

Fightful posted that around a half dozen wrestlers negged out on signing new contracts stating they want to see what the future holds for WWE's plans post COVID. The summary I get is that their expectations (especially in comparison to other offers given in 2019) were well different to what WWE actually offered now. 

Choosing not to resign is nothing new, but I can't recall it being in such numbers before. 

There have definitely been reports that getting rid of house shows has killed the pay for low to midcard guys who were relying on getting paid per show (plus probably getting small bonuses for meet and greets and stuff like that). If WWE isn't raising the downsides, there's apparently a lot of people who could make at least somewhat comparable money in other places (especially when the world is relatively open and you could combine your contracts with, say, Impact/AAA/NOAH or something).

The idea that WWE is apparently lowballing people on the heels of record profits while also dipping into people's pockets to take any money made on the side is just crazy to me. It speaks a lot of the arrogance they have to think they can keep fucking with people's money with it not having any repercussions. 

Anti-masker Glenn Jacobs once again proves that his reputation as "one of the smartest guys in wrestling" is - like most everything else in the industry - absolute fucking bullshit.

Buck Sexton - whoever the fuck that is - is living proof that Twitter hands out blue checkmarks way too easily.