Pro Wrestling Only

Is the empire crumbling before our eyes?

flyonthewall2983

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, sek69 said:

Funny how Vince can budget the XFL for up to three years of $150  million+ losses, but the 'rona shuts things down for over a month and he starts putting WWE folks in the catapult.

My guess is that it's """"""better"""""" to release people now and ease the financial losses during the pandemic, and be able to rehire them later, than keep them, lose more money, and release even more people due to the massive losses.

It sucks.

Thing is, as long as WWE is getting TV money they're still getting the  vast majority of the income they would be getting if things were going as normal. Losing the Mania gate sucks, but it's honestly the financial equivalent of stubbing your toe when you're still getting those fat Fox checks. 

It's almost like hoarding people just to hoard them ends up being a bad idea when you have financials coming up, and you have to try to maintain your pre-COVID profit goals. 

That's the rub, WWE doesn't have to release anyone right now. UFC is up to its eyeballs in leveraged debt, and Dana's promised not to cut anyone while this is going on. When Affliction Lex Luthor has the moral high ground, you know you done fucked up. 

Reports are saying the agents being let go are just being furloughed, which is just being fired with the promise of being brought back when things get back to normal. Can any of them really trust that will happen though?

Also didn't Gallows and Anderson just sign "please don't go to AEW" contracts not too long ago? I wonder if they got any buyout for that (who am I kidding, WWE contracts are so stupidly one sided it probably cost them money)?

The list sucks for the people getting released but I count, at least, 10 of the current list who would be much better utilised and more useful elsewhere. EC3 and Maverick could slip into Impact into their old routine with no problem, Logan, Anderson, Gallows, Rush and Finlay seem like great picks for AEW, though they probably aren't in a position to expand their roster that much. You have to think Kurt Angle comes in as a special ref for something on PPV down the line Heath Slater has a great indy run in him, I'm sure. 

What is more alarming is that I had no clue Daivari was working as an agent. Hoarding wrestlers is one thing but hoarding agents is another.

3 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Also didn't Gallows and Anderson just sign "please don't go to AEW" contracts not too long ago? I wonder if they got any buyout for that (who am I kidding, WWE contracts are so stupidly one sided it probably cost them money)?

Now I have more sympathy for The Revival not taking the money, because as we're seeing with this and saw with Bret Hart, WWE absolutely will not honor anything like that.

5 minutes ago, Stiva said:

I assume 205 Live is now just going to be rolled into NXT proper? I imagine Maverick is the first of many cruisers cut, not to mention NXT UK.

Will Ospreay mentioned to watch if any UK guys get cut, since the government there apparently has some sort of program paying 80% of people's wages if they lost their jobs now. It smacks of something WWE can use to basically unload the NXT UK payroll to the government until things change.

4 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Will Ospreay mentioned to watch if any UK guys get cut, since the government there apparently has some sort of program paying 80% of people's wages if they lost their jobs now. It smacks of something WWE can use to basically unload the NXT UK payroll to the government until things change.

I don't know how the program in the UK is exactly, but a couple of European countries have programs where they support reduced hour programs. For example in Austria, companies can reduce people down to 10 % and the government pays the rest for a couple of months. Obviously, it depends a lot on the contract details as well. For example, if WWE declared NXT UK roster members as independent contractors, that kind of programs wouldn't apply.

Just now, sek69 said:

If they furlough the NXT UK workers then, yeah, they'll get 80% of their wages from the government and WWE should kick in the remaining 20% Though, if they fire them outright, I'm fairly sure they won't be entitled any other government assistance than the welfare system so I really hope someone in WWE explains to Vince the furlough system before he just cuts the entire roster adrift.