Pro Wrestling Only

Is the empire crumbling before our eyes?

flyonthewall2983

I hope there's a crackdown on this nonsense too, but this is a company that already meddles in every part of their independent contractor's lives to make sure they aren't able to earn a penny without it going through Vince's fingers first, but are apparently OK with talent posting dangerous anti vax and covid denial bullshit on social media. 

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Even Joey Janela is speaking out now.
Not sure what's "funny" about any of this though. 
Tucker too.

At this point, I feel almost sad for Drake Wuertz. He is obviously a severely, profoundly mentally ill man. Combine that with drug and possible CTE issues, and it's a recipe for disaster.

2 hours ago, MoS said:

It was funny when, right after Rollins had as usual whined about fans booing, "confusing reactions" and therefore really liking the thunderdome era cuz it was creating "cleaner storylines", Nick Khan in some subsequent interview basically shut it down immediately, saying that the fans' "live feedback" and immediate reaction is extremely valuable to them, and that they can't wait to get in front of live crowds again. Vince probably respects the fact that he has for the first time in forever, met someone who doesn't drink his and WWE's Kool-Aid 

I think Vince respects the fact that Nick Khan got him a billion dollars from Peacock and was a key figure in the FOX television deal even before he formally joined the company. You can get away with not drinking the Kool-Aid if you put a billion dollars into his pocket.

As for the return to live crowds, that's one of the biggest x-factors for me with the whole Velveteen Dream deal. If he is back on any active roster when television and PPV's/monthly specials return to the road, what the fuck do they think is going to happen the first time Velveteen Dream walks out in front of a live crowd in a "smart" market like Chicago or Philadelphia?

Hell, the last time Dream had a match in front of other NXT workers and PC trainees, they were noticeably not reacting to anything he did. I think WWE feels like they painted themselves in a corner with him since Hunter vocally defended keeping him around so many times and now it seems like he's a pariah to his co workers. Knowing WWE mentality they probably are refusing to release him out of spite because they think it will look like they are caving in. 

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

Hell, the last time Dream had a match in front of other NXT workers and PC trainees, they were noticeably not reacting to anything he did.

Yeah it was very noticeable. Even his peers refused to acknowledge him. Imagine the kind of allegations known in those circles which we have no idea about

1 hour ago, PhilTLL said:

Xia Brookside's nonsense just hit the "BadCOVIDTakes" Twitter account, which has quite a few scientist and journalist followers.

Already taken down?

@BadCOVIDTakes

Account suspended
Twitter suspends accounts which violate the Twitter Rules

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

Hell, the last time Dream had a match in front of other NXT workers and PC trainees, they were noticeably not reacting to anything he did. I think WWE feels like they painted themselves in a corner with him since Hunter vocally defended keeping him around so many times and now it seems like he's a pariah to his co workers. Knowing WWE mentality they probably are refusing to release him out of spite because they think it will look like they are caving in. 

It has been 18 weeks since Dream has appeared on camera on NXT.

There's a dispiriting (of a positive standing!) update on his status that will possibly be reported in the coming days.

4 hours ago, MoS said:

It was funny when, right after Rollins had as usual whined about fans booing, "confusing reactions" and therefore really liking the thunderdome era cuz it was creating "cleaner storylines", Nick Khan in some subsequent interview basically shut it down immediately, saying that the fans' "live feedback" and immediate reaction is extremely valuable to them, and that they can't wait to get in front of live crowds again. Vince probably respects the fact that he has for the first time in forever, met someone who doesn't drink his and WWE's Kool-Aid

I remember reading that interview and going "of course he likes no fans". 

30 minutes ago, MoS said:

Yeah it was very noticeable. Even his peers refused to acknowledge him. Imagine the kind of allegations known in those circles which we have no idea about

True, but I think it's more of Dream not being part of the "in" crowd beyond the allegations. Austin Theory was accused of associating with a 13-year-old girl and seems to be doing fine among his peers. Don't think his situation was as bad as Dream, but still.

Probably didn't help that Dream felt like a teacher's pet. Which was understandable. His character work made him stand out especially during that period of NXT. Triple H and HBK clearly anticipated big things for him.

On one hand I can see how a performer would like not having to worry about fans hijacking the story you're trying to tell, but of course when they do that it means you did your job poorly. You can't be a whiny pissbaby about fans rejecting the story and not the company that fights them every step of the way. 

1 minute ago, sek69 said:

On one hand I can see how a performer would like not having to worry about fans hijacking the story you're trying to tell, but of course when they do that it means you did your job poorly. You can't be a whiny pissbaby about fans rejecting the story and not the company that fights them every step of the way. 

Yeah, I get the positives of it but he has a history of being a real bitch about anything remotely negative so it really just comes across as him being overly sensitive to anything.

8 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Probably didn't help that Dream felt like a teacher's pet. Which was understandable. His character work made him stand out especially during that period of NXT. Triple H and HBK clearly anticipated big things for him.

I'm wondering if they were starting to sour on him even before the allegations broke, as it seemed like his ring work was far behind his character work with no signs of it improving. 

Plus it seemed a little weird at the time when it seemed storyline wise they were building him up to win the NXT title and just.....didn't.  I know that's common on main brand WWE but it felt very "plans changed" for NXT.

1 minute ago, sek69 said:

Plus it seemed a little weird at the time when it seemed storyline wise they were building him up to win the NXT title and just.....didn't.  I know that's common on main brand WWE but it felt very "plans changed" for NXT.

Well, I'm pretty sure the allegations broke out right before that weird parking lot match with Adam Cole for the title. 

1 minute ago, C.S. said:

Well, I'm pretty sure the allegations broke out right before that weird parking lot match with Adam Cole for the title. 

Yeah, but I seem to recall a few times before that where all logic would seem to indicate he would have won and didn't, which was puzzling me at the time and now makes me wonder how long they knew and were just hoping it was going to go away. 

8 minutes ago, sek69 said:

I'm wondering if they were starting to sour on him even before the allegations broke, as it seemed like his ring work was far behind his character work with no signs of it improving. 

I felt like his ringwork had been getting progressively worse before the allegations first hit. I know I had started to sour on him leading up to that. He had that really good match with Riddle and it's been kind of downhill since then.

6 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

I felt like his ringwork had been getting progressively worse before the allegations first hit. I know I had started to sour on him leading up to that. He had that really good match with Riddle and it's been kind of downhill since then.

His back is shot. 1993 Rick Rude has been my comparison point. 

The quality of his strikes massively went south in particular. I am aware of a pandemic era match last year that had to be reshot as he wasn't himself so to speak.

1 minute ago, rovert said:

His back is shot. 1993 Rick Rude has been my comparison point. 

The quality of his strikes massively went south in particular. I am aware of a pandemic era match last year that had to be reshot as he wasn't himself so to speak.

That would explain a lot because he has gotten increasingly awkward in that period of time.