Pro Wrestling Only

Is the empire crumbling before our eyes?

flyonthewall2983

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really, people are surprised that a 34 year old guy who loves doing pro-wrestling and has exactly zero future in WWE apart from a coaching job (yeah, security whatever, there's no secure job in WWE as a lot of people have learned the hard way) is gonna get the fuck away ? Again, it's pretty telling, as Gargano was one of the main figure of the latest NXT era and apparently really loved it there. Yet, doesn't want to stay. 

I think it’s pretty much mutual.  I’m guessing they weren’t exactly falling over themselves to keep him and he wasn’t going to take a low offer to stay and do jobs in NXT.  It’s pretty clear in the Nick Khan era that they don’t care at all about losing wrestlers who they think have no chance of ever being a serious money-maker for them.  Independent wrestling will be better for it.

2 hours ago, Zoo Enthusiast said:

I think it’s pretty much mutual.  I’m guessing they weren’t exactly falling over themselves to keep him and he wasn’t going to take a low offer to stay and do jobs in NXT.  It’s pretty clear in the Nick Khan era that they don’t care at all about losing wrestlers who they think have no chance of ever being a serious money-maker for them.  Independent wrestling will be better for it.

I don't think that's the case. According to the Observer, they gave him a strong offer and he turned it down. He's going to take some time off and weigh his options after the birth of his child. WWE seems to think he'll be back, which is why he was written off in a way that opens the door for a return. Still, it says a lot that he would turn down a contract and place himself on the open market when he has a kid on the way.

I really doubt the offer would be/was all that strong and "strong" is relative too. 

I'm sure the WWE thought they were giving Adam Cole a strong offer...but it involved him getting a haircut and being a manager in a company that has maybe had what? Maybe 3-4 legit non-wrestling managers on its roster in the past decade? I'm not the biggest Cole fan, but he was a smart guy to realize that the only contract he'd really be signing was a short-term extension because there's no way they would have kept him hanging around for very long as a manager and once he was in that role on TV there was no way he'd ever get pushed as a wrestler again anyway. 

I'm guessing Gargano got a similar offer and maybe even the chance to launch his stable on a main brand...but that stable would've likely including 1-2 big dudes that Vince actually wanted to push and Gargano would've been the chickenshit mouthpiece "leader" who is really more like a manager. Maybe that could've last 8 months but after that? He'd be back on the market only now he'd be a colder free agent. 

2 hours ago, DMJ said:

I'm guessing Gargano got a similar offer and maybe even the chance to launch his stable on a main brand...but that stable would've likely including 1-2 big dudes that Vince actually wanted to push and Gargano would've been the chickenshit mouthpiece "leader" who is really more like a manager. Maybe that could've last 8 months but after that? He'd be back on the market only now he'd be a colder free agent. 

It seems like it's becoming pretty obvious amongst WWE folks that if you are serious about your career and want to become a big star, then your best bet is to go elsewhere since Vince has made it abundantly clear he has absolutely no idea how to create any new stars. 

Gargano was most likely NXT for life had he stayed. Dave's speculation is that he would have been kept strong enough that it would mean something when he put a young guy over. However, I'm sure Gargano saw how Rey Mysterio and Jeff Hardy were booked on the main roster and took that into account. Plus, he surely knows that WWE guarantees aren't worth the paper they're written on.

In other news, Kairi Sane is a free agent now that her WWE contract has expired. Hopefully we'll see her back in Stardom soon.

Gargano was so overexposed in the past 2-3 years and went through such a full arc and character changes two or three times over that I really have no interest in him going anywhere. AEW is currently full of so many guys he's been associated with for the past few years, with probably a couple more coming in soon as well. Gargano is way tiny to fit in the heavyweight scene for NJ and lol juniors. He's in a weird spot for sure. WWE really has a knack for making you not care at all about people who at one point seemed like the best in the world.

I really enjoyed Gargano as the overprotective dad in The Way. The fact that that was also limiting his in ring time was probably not a coincidence.

To he fair, it wasn't all his fault. It seems like the whole time he was in NXT was one long match against Ciampa. I was so tired of that feud I never wanted to see him in the ring again. I highly suspect that wherever he ends up he will be fun to watch in the ring again very soon. 

2 hours ago, strobogo said:

Gargano was so overexposed in the past 2-3 years and went through such a full arc and character changes two or three times over that I really have no interest in him going anywhere. AEW is currently full of so many guys he's been associated with for the past few years, with probably a couple more coming in soon as well. Gargano is way tiny to fit in the heavyweight scene for NJ and lol juniors. He's in a weird spot for sure. WWE really has a knack for making you not care at all about people who at one point seemed like the best in the world.

That’s my exact feeling about him.  He was my favorite wrestler a few years ago. The Philly Takeover match vs Andrade is one of my favorite matches ever, along with the post-match angle with Ciampa returning.  Now I have very little interest in seeing him wrestle.  They just ruin dudes.

On 12/9/2021 at 4:22 PM, Jmare007 said:

Yeah I'm not sure about the point of that articule. Who is claiming Roman is a big difference maker to warrant pointing out what everyone who actually cares about drawing and that type of stuff already knows? 

I don't think anyone thinks WWE's fórmula is "working". If anything, people that are interesed in these types of discussions have mostly agreed that the company found a way to fail upwards no matter what. 

Dave Meltzer calls him a big star and tried to argue that he makes a difference to ticked sales. And the likes of Fightful are always buttering him up as this mega star, saying shit like they're so happy for Big E to get to share the ring with him and such. That's the sort of thing that got Jesse to write the article in the first place. 

49 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:
imagine if it turns out every one of Rock's career moves was done with the end goal of taking over WWE and screwing over DX. Some Count of Monte Cristo-level shit.

So basically : Rock beats Roman Reigns at Mania 23, Vince dies, Nick Khan fires Triple H, Shawn Michaels and RoadDog, sells WWE to Disney, who then produces Dwayne's biopic. End game.

I know it's just a figure of speech, but still, there's no "winning at life".

Also, I doubt Dwayne Johnson is petty enough to be bothered by whatever Triple H has accomplished by this point. Also, considering the miserable failure that NXT2.0 has been thus far, Triple H doesn't look that bad anymore on that matter.