Pro Wrestling Only

Is the empire crumbling before our eyes?

flyonthewall2983

What kind of contract is the "rolling 90-day"? I don't know how it works in the US, are these type of contract usual? It means you are always working without a fixed term contract? Then, if the contract expires or you get fired you don't have to right to get the severance pay?

I don't care that much for Steen, but I wanted to see Zayn outside WWE, at one point in 2014 or 2015 he looked like he could have been "the next Daniel Bryan".

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, Gramsci said:

What kind of contract is the "rolling 90-day"? I don't know how it works in the US, are these type of contract usual? It means you are always working without a fixed term contract? Then, if the contract expires or you get fired you don't have to right to get the severance pay?

WWE contracts are officially for a fixed term. But WWE maintains the unilateral authority to terminate the agreement at any time for any reason, and they're only on the hook for paying the wrestler during the 90-day non-compete period. That's why the joke is that WWE contracts are 90-day deals that renew at WWE's sole discretion. And no, that's not at all the norm for American employment contracts, let alone for professional athletes. In fact, I'd bet that if the contracts were challenged in court, they'd be thrown out as unenforceable.

I don't know Sami's situation, but Owens has a family to take care of. For him, re-upping with WWE is a win-win. If he gets paid, great. If he gets the ax due to budget cuts, AEW will surely snatch him up. I doubt he pulled a Good Brothers and verbally committed to them only to leave Tony hanging when WWE started throwing money at him.

2 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

WWE contracts are officially for a fixed term. But WWE maintains the unilateral authority to terminate the agreement at any time for any reason, and they're only on the hook for paying the wrestler during the 90-day non-compete period. That's why the joke is that WWE contracts are 90-day deals that renew at WWE's sole discretion. And no, that's not at all the norm for American employment contracts, let alone for professional athletes. In fact, I'd bet that if the contracts were challenged in court, they'd be thrown out as unenforceable.

I don't know Sami's situation, but Owens has a family to take care of. For him, re-upping with WWE is a win-win. If he gets paid, great. If he gets the ax due to budget cuts, AEW will surely snatch him up. I doubt he pulled a Good Brothers and verbally committed to them only to leave Tony hanging when WWE started throwing money at him.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Sami also recently became a father or is about to. But I could be wrong here so this probably weighed into the balance for re-signing.

I haven't seen it reported, but does the WWE do signing bonuses?

That, to me, would be a smart move for any big name - like Owens or even Sami - to have their agent/lawyer ask for. Considering how lopsided the merchandise deal is, that would be a demand that'd be totally warranted.

I mean, I'm not sure how much of a cut ProWrestling Tees gets from CM Punk or Sting or whatever, but I can't imagine its the 80%-90% that the WWE takes. So, if you're Kevin Owens and you're basically guaranteed to sell thousands upon thousands of tee-shirts and going to get the lion's share of those profits, that has to play into your negotiations at this point. I mean, Hook just overtook CM Punk as the top merch mover of the week. One has to believe a new Kevin Steen or El Generico shirt would've earned them a pretty penny.

11 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

I doubt he pulled a Good Brothers and verbally committed to them only to leave Tony hanging when WWE started throwing money at him.

That was the best thing that ever happened to Tony Khan. Likely deterred him from ever signing them, he still got to use them through the Forbidden Door with Impact, and he saw firsthand that Brandon Cutler and Michael Nakawaza were more entertaining and memorable in the same roles.

I haven't seen much of WWE this year but, had he signed, would people want to Sami come to AEW and do a similar gimmick or would people want him to go back to El Generico? It seems like the latter would have been a bit of a regression considering how much he's come along as a performer.

I could see moving in this direction if or when omicron cases hit a decline like they've seemingly done in South Africa--like it or not, that's the way things are going in terms of business requirements and mandates, and I think we could reach a point next year where asymptomatic wrestlers/players are allowed to go out there anyway. But fuck, can we at least get through January first and see where we're at?

7 hours ago, PeteF3 said:

I could see moving in this direction if or when omicron cases hit a decline like they've seemingly done in South Africa--

We are at our highest all time peak currently. Please don't let any numbers you might see fool you. Between holidays and people showing no regard for their responsibility, this is only getting worse.