Pro Wrestling Only

Is the empire crumbling before our eyes?

flyonthewall2983

9 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Charlotte didn't "resort to" an inside cradle. She reversed Toni's cradle into one of her own. In fact, the opposite is closer to the truth. Toni was the one resorting to desperation pin attempts because Charlotte was kicking her ass at will. Of course, that led to Charlotte beating her at her own game. It was quite the impressive demolition of a babyface challenger.

And for the record, I don't dislike Roman and would love to see him in a promotion that wasn't a sinking ship. I just don't buy into him as the undisputed top guy. If you told me a year ago that I'd be way more into Kenny Omega as a worker and performer in a year's time, I would've said you were nuts. But here we are.

Actually it was a flurry of pin attempts that Charlotte started by grabbing onto the ropes. The finish saw Charlotte ultimately reverse an inside cradle but it wasn't a dominant victory or a burial by any means.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, El-P said:

WWE needs the Cavinder Twins to reach a younger audience. Cavinder Twins don't need WWE to make shitloads of money already. The new generation of influencers use brands to their advantage. They are not gonna be brainwashed by the "WWE Dream" unless they are super WWE fans to begin with. And we know that there aren't a lot of *young* super WWE fans.

Despite me being kinda salty/sad that people make way more money in one month on TikTok than I will ever see in my life, it does rule that a younger generation can have some sort of leverage with regards to a billion-dollar company. But then again TikTok is also a billion-dollar company so I don't know where the fuck I was going with this

5 hours ago, Big Pete said:

Actually it was a flurry of pin attempts that Charlotte started by grabbing onto the ropes. The finish saw Charlotte ultimately reverse an inside cradle but it wasn't a dominant victory or a burial by any means.

Toni was left weeping in the corner like she was Seth Rollins seeing the Fiend, making it clear she was the biggest geek in the (WWE) universe. 

On 12/30/2021 at 6:15 AM, gonzalez said:

With how corporate centric it’s become, that won’t happen. Unless these deals completely fall through, the WWE’s path is clear to become a pure content driven IP company that will sell to the highest bidder. 

In reality they have already been a content factory basically ever since the Network launched.  It’s just become more obvious in the past couple years.

I just hope whoever buys them has a better-organized streaming platform than fucking Peacock.

19 hours ago, sek69 said:

Toni was left weeping in the corner like she was Seth Rollins seeing the Fiend, making it clear she was the biggest geek in the (WWE) universe. 

Thanks for pointing that out, I honestly spaced on it and when I went to check out the finish again to see if I remembered correctly the WWE YouTube clip cut the post-match out.

Even with Toni's display of emotions, it didn't come across as a total burial to me and it was more about how much effort and how close she came to winning the title. Yes, the point of the segment was to put Charlotte over but I saw it as a moment where a seed was planted that they could germinate coming out of Wrestlemania.

Obviously that's not how it worked out and that's the legacy but there was room there. She wouldn't be the first star to cry after losing an important match and coming back to win down the line.

1 hour ago, Big Pete said:

Thanks for pointing that out, I honestly spaced on it and when I went to check out the finish again to see if I remembered correctly the WWE YouTube clip cut the post-match out.

Even with Toni's display of emotions, it didn't come across as a total burial to me and it was more about how much effort and how close she came to winning the title. Yes, the point of the segment was to put Charlotte over but I saw it as a moment where a seed was planted that they could germinate coming out of Wrestlemania.

Obviously that's not how it worked out and that's the legacy but there was room there. She wouldn't be the first star to cry after losing an important match and coming back to win down the line.

I feel like WWE has given us more than enough evidence that we shouldn't buy into any sort or redeeming/underdog/comeback feel good story because they either never actually plan for it or they do have a plan for it but change plans before the story is finished.

Only exceptions are the handful of people that are truly seen as top stars by Vince.

3 hours ago, sek69 said:

Yeah even if there was a plan to do that, there's no reason to have any confidence it would have made it to Mania. 

Just for clarification, I don't think she would have done anything meaningful heading into Wrestlemania. However coming out of it, when they needed some fresh feuds she would have been in line for a push. We'll never know because she decided after three years it was time to move on but that's typically how they book their championship programs around Wrestlemania season.

15 hours ago, Strummer said:

Has anyone in recent memory had a more nondescript run as champion than Big E.? He's been champion going on 4 months and no one ever mentions him or talks about his booking. Maybe it's been better than Rey's 2006 run.

Same reason the Kofi run didn't matter to me, to be honest. You can't be a comedy character for five years & then just expect to be a big deal because they give you a belt. 

Also, not saying this is necessarily the case with Big E, but sometimes it feels like in WWE when a long-time character wins a title, it's more of a panic move than or a payoff. It never felt like Big E moved up the card to me & then he was a top guy. Same with Drew McIntyre & Jinder Mahal.

1 hour ago, Coffey said:

Same reason the Kofi run didn't matter to me, to be honest. You can't be a comedy character for five years & then just expect to be a big deal because they give you a belt.

Not only that, but Kofi was basically thrown in the spot because Ali got injured... So much could be said about *that* swap too. But anyways, and then his reign ends with a total squash by the real star, and then where is Kofi Kingtson on the first card of 2022 ? Hum....

New Days vs Usos.

Like it's 2016 of something. Same match that has been done approximately a thousand times in more than half a decade. Kofi had his Mania Moment tm, then went back to the same old same old he has been for years. He hasn't been elevated in the slightest in the long run.

1 hour ago, Coffey said:

Also, not saying this is necessarily the case with Big E, but sometimes it feels like in WWE when a long-time character wins a title, it's more of a panic move than or a payoff. It never felt like Big E moved up the card to me & then he was a top guy. Same with Drew McIntyre & Jinder Mahal.

The Jinder push had a specific goal in mind. Great success too, remember the panic mode at the end ? :lol:

Drew is kinda different in that he went away, came back as kind of a big deal but his main event push happened during the no-crowd era, so it's hard.

Big E. totally feels like a "Your turn to get the belt, you deserve it" with nothing more behind it. 

At least they were committed to Kofi before they ultimately jobbed him out . They're not even pretending to give a shit about Big E. The nature of his victory (babyface cashes in on an injured oppenent. No plan, no journey. Just a reactionary ratings grab.) kneecapped him from the start, and they've done nothing since to suggest they see him as a star. Poor guy just looks like he's keeping it warm for Seth before Mania season.

God I wish they had the guts to keep the title away from Rollins.

Big E winning the belt, the cage match against Lashley and the match against Roman were good stuff, but the subsequent booking isn't even what I would describe as "dropping the ball", like they did with Belair vs Lynch, but more like "they didn't even try".

It's sad and a huge indictment of how the company feels like it's on cruise control for 90% of its programs.

9 hours ago, sek69 said:

Welp, looks like Odyssey Jones decided to start 2022 off with a bang by being transphobic online. 

Wonder if WWE is having second thoughts now about getting rid of superior big men Keith Lee and Bronson Reed (JONAH) now that Odyssey Jones is a clear liability likely to be Khaned in a future roster cull.

Wondering how much input Shawn Michaels has in those decisions. He's running NXT 2.0 right now and Vince is probably thrilled with how it's going. So at the end of the day, Vince probably wants Shawn with people he can entrust to deliver on that vision. Looks like those people no longer fit the mold.