Pro Wrestling Only

Is the empire crumbling before our eyes?

flyonthewall2983

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/14/2022 at 6:10 AM, MoS said:

Always fascinates me just how massive a box office draw Steve Austin is, 20 years after his run. He's barely been on TV for years too. He always pops a rating too, even when everyone knows he is going to come and do absolutely nothing but say 3:16 and whoopas and What a bunch of times. At this point I am willing to consider him the biggest, most enduring box office draw in WWE history, even more so than Hogan. 

Especially when you consider how short his time as the unquestioned company ace actually was (1997 face turn through losing the WWE belt to Jericho in December of 2001, so a little under 5 years) in comparison with other big runs.

WWE going back to the same old playbook, giving quotes on how the competition is promoting women self mutilating (referring to the blood in the TayJay vs Bunny/Penelope match), which is probably not the right wording to use when you're about to be hyping up the next Saudi show. 

I mean I'm sure it was all done mafia-like where Vince didn't say the exact words, but IIRC they were given the impression that blood would be okay to get the match over but also they don't want sponsors to see someone doing a blade job and left the rest up to them.

From Fightful:

As Ali revealed weeks ago, there was a vignette filmed for a Mustafa Ali "New America" gimmick that looked promising for the star. According to those in the know, initially the character was accepted, before those in power in WWE changed their mind. We're told that in its place, there was a pitch from Vince McMahon for "something Mustafa Ali would never have done," and it led to a heated argument between the two. Ali hasn't been around since.

I'd put money on the idea that Vince wanted Ali to do something anti-America as I believe we're coming up on a few years since the last time someone did such a gimmick and its one of those tropes that the McMahons have routinely used. Nobody here needs a history lesson, but good for Ali for likely standing up against such a tired and, in many cases, career-crippling gimmick.  

I wasn't as huge into Ali as others were a couple years back, but this is another great example of WWE having a talented performer with a back story that was a slam dunk from a marketing perspective who, at one point, was getting solid reactions, and then just completely letting him die on the vine to the point that I think he'll need some rehab on the indies before a company like AEW should sign him. Then again, maybe Tony Khan being of Pakistani descent will be more open and eager to telling Ali's story and capitalizing on it with a segment of the audience that is underrepresented and underserved? 

The use of the word "women" is really telling too. Not even "women wrestlers" (and really, they could have simply said "wrestlers"). Just "women self-mutilating". Such a dirty, shameless tactic. Of course apparently blading and bumping on tacks is sleazy but promoting an authoritarian regime run by a war criminal is not, but hey, capitalism is hypocrisy so of course sponsors would care less about this (when are the Olympic Games taking place already ? What ? Uyghur ? What is that ?).

As far as Ali wanting to get the fuck away, I can only imagine the kind of angle they would have him play. 

3 hours ago, Blehschmidt said:

So according to Fightful, WWE has trademarked the name Gunther Stark.

Which also happens to be the name of a WWII Nazi U-Boat Commander.

They really need to get an office temp that knows how to use Google.

I just hope this isn't a main roster name for Walter... 

To be fair, if you come up with a somewhat common German name, chances are that there was a Nazi (or Wehrmacht soldier, which is not really the same thing) of that name. The German Wikipedia lists three Günther Stark and the u-boot commander is not one of them, i.e. he was not a very prominent Nazi.

And with that name, he could form a team with Roderick Strong (because "Stark" is the German word for "Strong").

When you search it on the English Wikipedia, there's no direct page but the fourth result is for the type of U boat he commanded and mentions his name. 

Either way, it's more of less standard protocol for any major company to run even a perfunctory search to see if the name/term they want to copyright has any negative connotations. 

18 minutes ago, Dale Wolfe said:

Knowing this lot the idea of naming him after a Nazi commander is probably a plus

I can just imagine the discussion:

Bruce: uh Vince, that name we just trademarked? Turns out it's the name of a Nazi commander.

Vince: Oh wow, really? *pause* THATS GOOD SHIT, PAL! TELL THAT BLOOM KID HE'S GETTING A NEW GIMMICK