Pro Wrestling Only

Is the empire crumbling before our eyes?

flyonthewall2983

4 hours ago, Coffey said:

They're not even on television & outside of the people at the facility, how many people see them at all? It's complete lunacy. 

Maybe it’s a recruiting thing? With trying to bring in these college athletes and influencers maybe they believe it will make the PC more attractive to them?

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

FWIW with the whole wrestler name ties to known high ranking Nazi military leaders.  

You know the whole YouTube meme with Hitler’s final meltdown from “The Downfall” that is titled “Hitler Reacts…”?  Commander Felix Steiner is referenced, as an offensive he was told to carry out failing was what triggers the epic meltdown.

Every time I see a version of the clip, I keep envisioning either Rick or Scott (oddly enough their last name is also a stage name), comically, as a Nazi commander.

Point being, it probably would be hard to come up with a German sounding name without it having ties to the name of someone affiliated with the Nazis.

Not sure if I blame them for not Googling or going on a Wikipedia rabbit hole, but on the other hand, probably add German sounding to the list of “names that we will get blasted for on social media.”

Fightful reporting WWE is not going to grant Mustafa Ali his release, which is interesting. They clearly see him as a guy who could be a star somewhere else but yet somehow haven't figured out a way to put him on their TV that wasn't so offensive he lost his shit at Vince over it. 

Cue to "Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard" circa 2025:

Conrad: "What made you think taking this talented wrestler that had a great reputation before going to WWE, and naming him 'Nazi Von Stormfuhrer' would get him over?"

Bruce: "Well, he would have gotten over if he committed to and sold the gimmick and didn't sheepishly sleepwalk his way through the promos and his matches!"

It's interesting with as many people as they've been releasing lately that they're still choosy on their decisions to release people or not. Like Toni Storm just dipped & WWE didn't seem to give a fuck. But they deny Ali? Storm was on current TV & in a feud with Charlotte, Ali hasn't done anything in months.

Ali could have a killer feud for the US Title. Like, he was basically putting together those fantastic promos back when he was the heart of 205 Live. He is creative, became a great promo, is easily likeable, is marketable and can be a great heel without resorting to lame stereotypes. How hard is it to give him something?

Incredibly stupid name aside, it really sucks for ol' GUNTHER that he's not in a WWE that wants to run with babyfaces on top anymore because, back then, he'd be built up really strongly for a 3/4 month run against Cena, lose but be kept strong and probably eventually settle into a decent gatekeeper role as a trusted monster heel who can be trusted to have good matches and keep his heat. Unfortunately, we're trapped in the Reigns-Lesnar vortex in which nothing else can escape or thrive so good luck breaking through that.

1 hour ago, Stiva said:

Incredibly stupid name aside, it really sucks for ol' GUNTHER that he's not in a WWE that wants to run with babyfaces on top anymore because, back then, he'd be built up really strongly for a 3/4 month run against Cena, lose but be kept strong and probably eventually settle into a decent gatekeeper role as a trusted monster heel who can be trusted to have good matches and keep his heat. Unfortunately, we're trapped in the Reigns-Lesnar vortex in which nothing else can escape or thrive so good luck breaking through that.

Seriously. Walter would be a great heel challenger for Drew McIntyre or Big E. Even Brock.

2 hours ago, Coffey said:

It's interesting with as many people as they've been releasing lately that they're still choosy on their decisions to release people or not. Like Toni Storm just dipped & WWE didn't seem to give a fuck. But they deny Ali? Storm was on current TV & in a feud with Charlotte, Ali hasn't done anything in months.

I think it could simply come to Toni Storm didn't make anything public; she had enough, she left and quit.

Meanwhile, Ali publicly asked on Twitter for his release. I hope he didn't actually expect Vince to grant it to him. If anything, he's more likely to pay him to sit at home until his contract ends.

3 hours ago, El-P said:

Well, the issue is not that they had nothing for him, the issue is what they wanted to give him apparently. I shudder to think...

"we have nothing for you... EXCEPT Mustafa bin Hassan!"

3 hours ago, Stiva said:

A handful of years earlier and WALTER would be headlining Mania. Or having A BEEFY match against Umaga (I miss him)

Anyone else excited to see WALTER dance?

The fact that Vince feels like he needs to re-package an established performer like him tells me that he absolutely doesn't get or give a shit about anything that happened or was accomplished by him in the past. He's moldable clay to Vince...and speaking of Clay...

I hope Walter doesn't mind hearing "Somebody Call My Mama (Funk is on a Roll)" because he's likely to be hearing it or something very much like it as he walks dances down the aisle about a year from now. 

16 hours ago, Strummer said:

1991 and 1994 were both on Saturdays

And for the same reason. Those were two years with no bye week before the Super Bowl (1990 was the first 17-week season, 1993 was an 18-week season with two byes, which only lasted that year.)

It seems like Saturday "premium live events" are going to be more the norm than the exception going forward.

It's not just the Rumble. Elimination Chamber, MITB, Summerslam, and Survivor Series are all taking place on Saturdays, as did Day One before that. Looking at WWE's 2022 PPV premium live event schedule, the only ones scheduled for a Sunday are the second night of Wrestlemania the name-to-be-determined shows in May and June (the dates for the September and October shows are still to be determined). The Observer noted a while back that Nick Khan grew up in Vegas, which is a Saturday night town for sports and entertainment. He clearly doesn't give a shit about wrestling's time-honored traditions, and the rationale behind holding wrestling PPVs on a Sunday (to avoid going head-to-head with big boxing events) is no longer a relevant consideration for WWE in the Peacock era.

That makes sense, and it's what AEW also initially thought, but AEW's Sunday PPVs have consistently done better than its Saturday's PPVs, regardless of what other PPV was happening that weekend. I'm really not sure why beyond wrestling fans being creatures of habit.