Pro Wrestling Only

Is the empire crumbling before our eyes?

flyonthewall2983

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, PeteF3 said:

Yeah, I'm just not sure why they shouldn't be classified as such. They set their own hours, provide their own car, and aren't under a written contract.

In theory, there's no way they shouldn't. In reality, companies push for it so they don't have to pay benefits/unemployment. 

The issue with these 'gig economy' companies, is that their status as 'hiring agents' is in question. So sure, you provide your own car, but you don't exactly choose your own hours, because if you choose to work at a particular time, those companies can direct business to you or not, and on the basis of certain performance thresholds they track, which is why some states want to classify them as hiring agents and then that creates an issue of employee vs independent contractor. Again, these companies have largely won that fight by dumping a ton of money into ads against ballot initiatives, but it is certainly a debate. 

The Australian High Court (Australia's, erm, highest court) ruled just this week on the status of independent contractors.

"The High Court’s ruling on the status of a pair of truck drivers who were attached to the same company for 40 years has the potential to shift power back to organisations in the battle over how participants in the gig economy should be protected by the law...The decision, experts say, gives credence to claims by gig platforms like Uber and Deliveroo that their workers are not employees...

On Wednesday, Australia’s High Court ruled that two truck drivers who worked for a lighting company, which required the workers to emblazon its logo on their vehicles and work clothes, were not employees...

In taking this stance, the ruling returns power to businesses following several Federal Court decisions, along with decisions from the Fair Work Commission (FWC), that have backed the rights of workers."

More fool me for expecting better from America's 51st state.

14 hours ago, SirEdger said:

Yeah, he's not helping himself right now.

14 hours ago, sek69 said:

At this point he might as well go full napalm, both sides seem to be pretty entrenched in their stance so it's not like the bridge can be burned any more. 

Well, he kinda has been:

If HHH was in shape, they had one "dream match" (notice the quotation mark) for Mania right there. But, oh well...

It would be kinda ironic to have Cody & Brandi show up and be treated as huge stars though (and really, they would get a ridiculous pop showing up)... like... So AEW is a big deal after all ? 

2 hours ago, El-P said:

Cody in charge of NXT 2.0 anyone ?

Then at Mania next year, Cody & Brandi vs HHH & Stephy for Brand Supremacy ! 

I know. I'm shivering just at the thought of this actually happening...

Jokes aside, as serious as Hunter's heart issue seems to have been, I don't see WWE clearing him to compete anytime soon if ever. 

Also I'm not sure if Cody coming back after it became clear the company he helped create has moved on without him is the victory lap WWE and their stans think it is. 

Having said that, having Cody present the Dusty Cup sure would be something. 

1 minute ago, El-P said:

You mean 2020 ? Ok, it works.

Seriously though, I think some people are way overestimating what Cody back to WWE would mean. In 6 months he's just another guy.

Without trying to predict how things turn out, this is the first move that at least has a plausible chance to change the narrative for them and make people talk about something other than how bad the product is in a very long time. 

2 minutes ago, El-P said:

You mean 2020 ? Ok, it works.

Seriously though, I think some people are way overestimating what Cody back to WWE would mean. In 6 months he's just another guy.

I’m seeing some WWE stans treat this like Flair in 1991, Hogan in 1993 or the idea of Bret in 1997!

SMH.  Mox jumping back suddenly, Omega, Sammy or MJF showing up.  Those would be on that level.

Just now, Migs said:

Without trying to predict how things turn out, this is the first move that at least has a plausible chance to change the narrative for them and make people talk about something other than how bad the product is in a very long time. 

It won't change the incompetent booking one iota. 

1 minute ago, SteveJRogers said:

I’m seeing some WWE stans treat this like Flair in 1991, Hogan in 1993 or the idea of Bret in 1997!

Like I said before. Cody was a nobody in an unsuccessful promotion, but now that he's gonna jump all of a sudden it's a huge deal and a game changer (wait, I thought AEW wasn't a success anyway, so how does it change the game ?) :lol:.

Not big news for most here but WWE fired Carlos Cabrera today. He was the latino play-by-play announcer for 29 years and certainly the voice of wrestling for a whole bunch of generations of wrestling fans.

Atangana! and Por poquiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiito are two of the GOAT wrestling calls.

If Tony reunites him and Hugo Savinovich in AEW he might bring a good number of latino fans with them :lol:

35 minutes ago, Jmare007 said:

Not big news for most here but WWE fired Carlos Cabrera today. He was the latino play-by-play announcer for 29 years and certainly the voice of wrestling for a whole bunch of generations of wrestling fans.

Yeah, it's huge for the Spanish speaking fans.

Can't even think what the reaction would be if WWE would not use Christophe Agius anymore (he's been doing it for almost 20 years now). I think this would legit hurt them a lot in France (not that they care that much probably considering the market, but still).