Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - April 22, 2020

goodhelmet

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you told me 6 months ago that a match between Darby Allin and Sammy Guevara would be a slugfest with 2 bloody faces and Darby working on Sammy's ankle after removing his boot, i wouldn't have believed you... but thats what we got. If this happens in front of a live crowd, it would be even better but what we got was pretty damn great. Jericho was great on commentary once again. 

Excellent match and excellent finish. I think they pull the trigger on Darby when he faces Cody. 

They are either phasing out Damascus or acting like it's a split personality thing with Matt Hardy and I am in favour of it. AEW shows it listens to fans and Matt Hardy is a good promo without being a crazy dude. I liked this video from Matt.

Here are my thoughts so far -

Excellent match and excellent finish. I think they pull the trigger on Darby when he faces Cody. 

They are either phasing out Damascus or acting like it's a split personality thing with Matt Hardy and I am in favour of it. AEW shows it listens to fans and Matt Hardy is a good promo without being a crazy dude. I liked this video from Matt.

I agree wholeheartedly with Kenny. I know they are trying to give these local guys a chance but national TV is not the place to give them offense against one of your champions. 

I love all of the vignettes, personality profiles,  hyping up BTE. I know these things don't get ratings but they give the wrestlers more depth. I think these are things that will help the wredtlers more in the long run.

The Bubbly Bunch was amazing. Shocking that Jake Hager has a personality.  I lost it when the prize was hand sanitizer. 

Orange Cassidy's debut on TV was disappointing because Jericho spent the entire match putting over Jimmy Havoc which I don't think was the intended outcome they were looking for. 

2 minutes ago, goodhelmet said:

Orange Cassidy's debut on TV was disappointing because Jericho spent the entire match putting over Jimmy Havoc which I don't think was the intended outcome they were looking for. 

The way it was booked, it seemed a showcase for Havoc more than Cassidy to me. Which is stupid to me because Cassidy is great and Havoc is horrible. 

11 hours ago, MoS said:

I dunno how legit MJF's injury is, but him blaming it on his inability to quit gambling was amazing. He is the most natural promo I have seen in wrestling in years and years.

He can't leave New York and attend shows. Same deal as Proud and Powerful.

Solid show but it definitely peaked with the opener. I don't see a lot in Wardlow other than MJFs muscle, especially when Brodie Lee is also squashing dudes, looking better doing it. The less said about Kenny Omega letting job guys get sustained runs of offense on him when he's supposed to be a main eventer, the better. They're doing the best with what they have but man, it has to suck featuring Jimmy Havoc every week because he lives in the area. Does Jimmy Rave still live in Georgia? They should have brought him in for these tapings.

1 hour ago, Laz said:

Haven't watched the show yet, but Cassidy's singles debut on Dynamite was a match with PAC months ago. Probably the best PAC match in the company yet, too.

He faced PAC at Revolution in February but hadn't had a singles match on Dynamite until last night.

• Show was pretty good. Worth watching for Jericho and Tony on commentary alone tbh.
  • Sammy/Darby was a blast once again. I liked the call back to their Revolution match. That splash onto the ladder was absolutely disgusting.
  • Kenny's match was far too competitive for me but I guess that's Omega's whole thing now.
  • The OC/Havoc match was a little odd with Havoc having so much offence. Havoc biting Cassidy's hands and putting them into his pockets was great though.
  • Wardlow looked impressive and Jericho did a good job selling it.
  • The backstory for Preston Vance (favourite for the Heisman Trophy, aspiring model, career ended through injury) is a good one. Brodie Lee's squash was solid with that brutal finish but I'm not really a fan of his ring gear. Brodie/Stunt could be a lot of fun though.
  • Loved the Bubbly Bunch with Jericho getting pissed off and throwing the hand sanitiser at the phone. 
  • Main was good with the right man winning.

People bitching about Kenny Omega giving too much to a job guys... *cough* Ric Flair *cough* 

Remember when people thought having squash matches was needed and that it was better than actual competitive matches ? Well, it ain't. Once in a while, ok, but really, that makes for some uninteresting stuff... Wardlow looks like a colorless Adam Bomb thus far, honestly. Or some WCW Thunder Power Plant guy. And yeah, Brodie Lee showing up and doing it better while looking much more scarier doesn't help. 

I kinda like the threesome of Havoc, Sabian & Penelope. Wait, I did not say that.

These shows are made a whole lot better than they actually are thanks to the awesome announcing by Schiavone & Jericho. Damn, Jericho has turned himself into a living legend with this AEW run. I don't miss JR one bit. Hell, JR solo "sports-like" announcing the previous week only made the never-ending Hager vs Mox match even duller than it was. With Jericho & Tony at the helm, it would have been more entertaining to watch for sure. 

These shows are ok but also a bit sad to watch. The BTE format works so much better during those circumstances.

32 minutes ago, El-P said:

People bitching about Kenny Omega giving too much to a job guys... *cough* Ric Flair *cough* 

Unless that completely unknown random guy is going to become a George South-esque mini-celebrity jobber, I don't see how having him go toe to toe with your top guy, including kicking out of a V-trigger, helps anybody. 

10 minutes ago, MoS said:

Unless that completely unknown random guy is going to become a George South-esque mini-celebrity jobber, I don't see how having him go toe to toe with your top guy, including kicking out of a V-trigger, helps anybody. 

It never helped Flair, either. I think El-P is just saying that plenty of greats weren't great in job match situations. Although I'd have maybe picked a jobber they see something in for that slot.

I liked this show much better than last week. Better pacing, some very good vignettes.

I feel like this Brodie Lee thing would be dragging on shows in front of crowds, but in this situation I don't mind the vignettes and squashes at all. He might weirdly be a beneficiary of all this because it's allowing them to build the character and transition naturally from using the parody aspects as a base instead of being the whole character.

Matt Hardy having both aspects of his personality available gives me much more hope for the long-term value of his character. 

Very much looking forward to Cody vs. Darby.

43 minutes ago, MoS said:

I'm not saying I disagree. I thought he gave him too much too. Just pointing out that untouchable figures like Flair did exactly the same thing. Going toe to toe is a gross overstatement though. Even Jericho mentioned that Omega was basically toying with him at the end, and it lasted what, just a few minutes. He didn't even use his actual finisher to end the guy either.

27 minutes ago, Migs said:

It never helped Flair, either. I think El-P is just saying that plenty of greats weren't great in job match situations.

This.

Yeah, Omega gave him too much. Do I think it will matter in any way shape of form at the end of the day ? Nope.

27 minutes ago, Migs said:

I feel like this Brodie Lee thing would be dragging on shows in front of crowds, but in this situation I don't mind the vignettes and squashes at all. He might weirdly be a beneficiary of all this because it's allowing them to build the character and transition naturally from using the parody aspects as a base instead of being the whole character.

Matt Hardy having both aspects of his personality available gives me much more hope for the long-term value of his character. 

All of this too.