• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From J.R.'s Monday blog:

The opening TLC match was excellent especially for three teams that aren't exactly red hot, over but who took some incredible high risk chances to entertain the fans. They were SO good nothing else truly followed them as it relates to utilizing the 'gimmick' of one's choice including the main event. Perhaps here, less would truly be more but much respect to the talents for putting it on the line.

Huh? True about the Lucha Dragons and The Usos, but what is he smoking if he doesn't think New Day is red hot?!

He doesn't like comedic heels, basically. He likes the New Day as talent but he doesn't like their gimmick.

But not liking their gimmick has nothing to do with how "hot" their act is. Apples and oranges.

To be fair, New Day does seem on paper like the type of act that will eventually go the way of Mizdow or Fandango. Hopefully it won't though.

Mizdow and Fandango were never this hot this long, and never had the type of sustained push that New Day does. Eventually they will split, but who becomes the star is the question. I know people will say Big E because he's the biggest, but if that was going to happen, it would've happened a long time ago. Ditto for Kofi, I guess. Is Xavier the one who is going to come out ahead in all this?

Mizdow and Fandango were never this hot this long, and never had the type of sustained push that New Day does. Eventually they will split, but who becomes the star is the question. I know people will say Big E because he's the biggest, but if that was going to happen, it would've happened a long time ago.

I really don't agree with this at all. They never really put any effort into pushing him before New Day. He debuted as a heel bodyguard and they didn't give him much to do in that role and then his biggest "push" was giving him the IC title but not really giving him anything to do with it except have random matches. He's only really been on the main roster 2 years and spent a lot of it on Superstars or Main Event it's not like he's overexposed or really even has a "failed" push on his record.

If they decided they wanted to make him the star coming out of the split I think they pretty easily could do so. He's not Kofi who has been around way too long to ever get above the I.C./U.S./Tag title scene.

Listened to JR and Meltzer talking Survivor series today. JR mentioned that he and JBL won't exchange Christmas cards.

What's the issue there?

Is this you?

From J.R.'s Q&A section:

MrMondayNight Asks:

Hi Jim. I heard you say on a couple of occasions you may not be on JBL's Christmas card list and I wondered why? I haven't heard you ever criticise the WWE announcing team. Thanks for your time.

J.R.'s Answer:

I like John Layfield and am happy that we brought him onto the team back in the day. He was a guy who successfully reinvented himself and became a star. I think John has gotten tired of folks on Twitter breaking his balls in the name of "he's not as good as JR." I don't blame him as I'd get tired of that too. Or it could have been something that I said or wrote. I really don't know plus the podcast line was also a feeble attempt at a little humor.

Post date:

12/16/2015 - 4:49am

Kind of an evasive non-answer IMO, but maybe J.R. genuinely doesn't know why JBL supposedly dislikes him?

• 1 month later...

So cranky old Jim sure does have some weird hangups. From this week's podcast:

Apparently EVERYBODY has been demanding that Paul Heyman manage Shinsuke Nakamura in WWE (um... huh?). Then he proceeds to do one of his awful impersonations about how these are all just 13 year olds on their keyboard and they don't know anything about wrestling.

It's not really a good idea or a bad idea, it's just there. What an odd thing to get so worked up about.

So cranky old Jim sure does have some weird hangups. From this week's podcast:

Apparently EVERYBODY has been demanding that Paul Heyman manage Shinsuke Nakamura in WWE (um... huh?). Then he proceeds to do one of his awful impersonations about how these are all just 13 year olds on their keyboard and they don't know anything about wrestling.

It's not really a good idea or a bad idea, it's just there. What an odd thing to get so worked up about.

I wonder what his reaction to Wade Keller suggesting that Nakamura debuts on NXT, gets a huge buzz and then on Mania confronts Brock after his match.

• 5 months later...

Ross can be an ok podcast host at times but he really needs to stick to just interviewing males. The guy is seriously creepy whenever he has a female guest on. Terri Runnels was this week's guest and Ross cranks the misogyny up to eleven while making "not that there's anything wrong with that" statements to cover his ass.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had time get caught up with NJPW on AXS and holy Christ was Ross unbearable. Just boring, added no life to the matches, and kept taking shots at the critics on Twitter who "still live in their parents basement." A complete turn-off.

• 3 weeks later...

Someone on SquaredCircle on reddit reposted an item from Meltzer in November 1992 about Jim Ross being reprimanded by his radio station for off-color remarks about gay people. Does anyone know in particular what he said?

No idea, but knowing Ross, it probably ended this way.

"[something offensive to gay people].... not that there's anything wrong with that..."

Finally had time get caught up with NJPW on AXS and holy Christ was Ross unbearable. Just boring, added no life to the matches, and kept taking shots at the critics on Twitter who "still live in their parents basement." A complete turn-off.

Handwaved AXS as soon as Mauro left. I have no interest in Ross doing "his thing" with New Japan. I love Mauro, I get that some people don't, but he and Barnett were the perfect pairing for modern New Japan.

Handwaved AXS as soon as Mauro left. I have no interest in Ross doing "his thing" with New Japan. I love Mauro, I get that some people don't, but he and Barnett were the perfect pairing for modern New Japan.

It hasn't been as much fun or even "must-see" for me since Mauro left.

Someone on SquaredCircle on reddit reposted an item from Meltzer in November 1992 about Jim Ross being reprimanded by his radio station for off-color remarks about gay people. Does anyone know in particular what he said?

No idea, but knowing Ross, it probably ended this way.

"[something offensive to gay people].... not that there's anything wrong with that..."

He had come out in support of marriage equality, hadn't he? That was a big surprise to me. Austin in an interview supported gay marriage as well, which was again a pleasant surprise to me, considering the character he used to play.