Pro Wrestling Only

The Jim Ross Is A Grouchy Hateful Vile Human Being thread

Loss

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect he changed at some point. He went from babyfacing Rush Limbaugh on commentary at Clash 22 to saying within the last few years in a blog entry that Real Time With Bill Maher is one of his favorite shows to watch.

1) Liking Limbaugh and Maher simultaneously for their entertainment value is not necessarily a sign of "change" in social issue opinions.

2) For the much of the core audience of Clash 22, I'd imagine it would be more of a babyface opinion to be supportive of Rush Limbaugh than it would be for a heel to be supportive of a conservative social and political issues commentator.

3) Being pro-consenting adults can marry regardless of their gender is separate from being someone that thinks nothing of blurting out causal homophobic comments, most likely due to "time and place" that they grew up. Doesn't make it right, but it is possible that is the case with Ross, as opposed to someone that is completely homophobic in every way possible.

From J.R.'s Q&A:

MariahCareyLover Asks: Hey JR. Do you think Eva Marie could have heat waiting for her when she goes back after her suspension? Posting all those pictures on Instagram acting like she is on vacation. Most wrestlers who get suspended they go to their house and hide those 30 days.

J.R.'s Answer:
This matter is a non issue to me. Sorry. Failing a drug test for the reasons that are reported are unnecessary and irresponsible.

This seems nasty and hypocritical to me. No way would he throw Roman Reigns or any other "WWE darling" under the bus like this. I bet he hasn't. But "because it's Eva" he's being a judgmental twat. Fuck off, J.R. :rolleyes:

From J.R.'s Q&A:

MariahCareyLover Asks: Hey JR. Do you think Eva Marie could have heat waiting for her when she goes back after her suspension? Posting all those pictures on Instagram acting like she is on vacation. Most wrestlers who get suspended they go to their house and hide those 30 days.

J.R.'s Answer:

This matter is a non issue to me. Sorry. Failing a drug test for the reasons that are reported are unnecessary and irresponsible.

This seems nasty and hypocritical to me. No way would he throw Roman Reigns or any other "WWE darling" under the bus like this. I bet he hasn't. But "because it's Eva" he's being a judgmental twat. Fuck off, J.R. :rolleyes:

Is there more to the Eva Marie drug test other than "She has an adderall prescription and WWE has arbitrarily banned this legal drug?"

I mean, it seems illegal for WWE to suspend someone for taking legal medication prescribed by a doctor. Can they (or any company) do this? What am I missing here. What are the "reasons being reported?"

And yeah. Fuck off JR :)

I always thought that was weird. Who carries prescriptions with them at all times? My doctor phones in all of my my prescriptions, I never get a physical copy. Hornswoggle said something similar happened when they surprise tested him and he couldn't provide documentation right then and there. Isn't this something the office should be able to verify with minimal effort? Am I missing something here?

Just another odd thing for JR to demonize someone for.

The text of the Wellness Policy is available on WWE's corporate website. Here's what it says about prescriptions:

WWE Talent are required to provide prescriptions for all drugs prohibited by this Policy to the Medical Director upon receipt of such a prescription from his/her treating physician.

The method to provide this information to the Medical Director is as follows:

• Using a fax cover sheet, WWE Talent should print his/her name and phone number, the name of the medication, the prescribing physician, and his or her office phone number along with a copy of the prescription providing the dosage and duration instructions for proper use. Though WWE Talent are free to use any format of cover sheet they wish, as long as they provide all of the requested information, a sample fax cover sheet is attached as Exhibit A to this Policy.
  • Fax both the cover sheet and copy of the prescription to the Medical Director at XXX-XXX-XXXX.
  • The Talent’s physician may receive a call from the Medical Director to discuss the prognosis and expected length of treatment and corresponding duration of the prescription.

In other words, prescriptions have to be pre-approved. You can't just get a prescription from a mark doctor and pull it out if you pop hot. The issue isn't having the paperwork in your physical possession at all times. It's submitting the paperwork to the front office in a timely manner.

Has anyone here ever heard his old WCW sponsored radio show gig? I remember trying hard to find the one where Vince appeared to make an announcement right at the very end of its run but never had any luck. Surely Ross must have each episode, I'd love a "Christmas Special" or something where they are re-aired instead of his podcast.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but AXS just showed Shibata/Ishii from 3/19, before Shibata's brain injury, and every time Shibata would throw a headbutt JR would make all these prescient comments that these could end up damaging him far more in the longterm. It really came off like he was setting himself up for some kind of "Well, I said in earlier matches that these could be his downfall" back pat, even though the commentary was recorded after Shibata's injury. It came off really shitty to me.

hqdefault.jpg

"Someone oughta tell all these young wrestlers that shoot headbutts just ain't safe, gang."

Seriously though, as someone who doesn't get AXS to hear it myself, I'm willing to give JR the benefit of the doubt on this. Shoot headbutts are stupid and anything that discourages anybody from trying them is probably a net positive.

• 3 weeks later...

The thing with Bix is it's not always what he says, but how he says it. He has some great points, both about the NJPW announcing and Scott Williams' not receiving cover credit, but the way he's going about trumpeting them makes it look like an attack on JR to the average Twitter follower.

Bix - is now really the time to pile on Jim Ross with what he's going through?

I know this is an asshole thing to say but can someone give me a time table when you can give people a pass for a shitty performance that may or not have been alcohol influenced?

To be fair, it started from Dave defending JR's flub ups on night one of the Long Beach shows by saying New Japan doesn't do production meetings, but Bix pointed out that JR was tweeting out pics of the material he was given to study up on the days leading up to the show. So even if they don't normally do pre show prep, JR clearly was given the opportunity to brush up.

Also for some reason they flew in Kevin Kelly and Don Callis to the shows despite knowing AXS wanted to use their team, which only served to annoy the talent since they were lobbying for them to do the show since they were more familiar with the product.