Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - April 29 2020

MoS

This was a good edition of Dynamite. Both tournament matches were solid but i hope in the future they point out that one of Allin's shoulders was not on the mat, I could be wrong though in what I saw. Britt Baker continues to shine as a heel and is my top pick for gimmick of year. It was also nice seeing Rebel too, I'm digging these cameos AEW inserts on occasion. We all knew it was coming down to Cody/Archer in the finals but they did a good job putting heat on it involving Dustin, good stuff.

I don't think overrated is the word. No one even talked about him outside of making jokes before the G1 in 2019. He was just "that tramp stamp guy" that used to drink with the marks from TNA after the shows. He did a good job reinventing himself in New Japan.

His G1 performance rightfully turned heads because he exceeded expectations. Granted the expectations going in were low as most people had written him off, but he had good showings & rightfully was praised for it. He put in the work. 

He was a good signing for AEW. And although he might not be everyone's cup of tea, overrated is certainly not the word to use. Not when he is working in the same promotion as Kenny Omega & The Young Bucks.

I thought Archer was really bad in that match too. If you are going to be a monster, your stuff should land with force, and you shouldn't just slowly wander around the ring making faces. On SC I said he reminded me of one of those 2000s Power Plant guys who were big and had some impressive spots, but didn't know how to string anything together or land with any force. I imagine Dustin could have a good match with Johnny the Bull, but it wouldn't be structured like this

Best empty arena show since the beginning of the thing. The last few weeks really have been carried by Jericho & Schiavone's awesome announcing, but this week had three really good matches and some terrific vignettes to boot.

Darby vs Cody was very good. Nice finish, straight out of a Bret Hart match from 1995 (which is great). The right guy won. Cody needs to be the first TNT champ, as the man makes the belt first, and they need to make it such as Shane Douglas made the ECW TV title as important as the World Title back then. Darby will be fine, he's just improving by leaps and bounds.

Loved the garbage tag team match and to me Havoc (whom I wasn't a fan of at all when I was watching him in MLW) was the star of the match with his timing and screwed up charisma. The fact he reminds me (facially) of an old friend never cease to be odd to me. Orange & Penelope as always got their cool shit in but I thought the whole thing was fun. That footstomp thingy looked brutal. 

Terrific main event. Archer carrying on the Suzuki-Gun tradition of killing a ransom jabrone on the way to the ring is cool. The way he was countering every Dustin signature spot early on was a very nice touch. Archer was one of the highlight of last year NJPW's Climax, and considering it was the greatest pro-wrestling event, like, ever, it says a whole lot. He's not gonna have the "crazy gaijin" appeal, but he's got the looks, the work and a manager who can cut promos. Yeah, Archer is a terrific catch for AEW. Loved the ending, just perfect booking. I'm glad Brandy is back managing too, she's so good at it (although she'd be ever better as a heel but unless Cody turns, and it won't and shouldn't happen, there's no way we get any of that anytime soon).

Speaking of monsters, next too Archer and Brodie Lee, Wardlow's presentation really comes off cookie-cutter like. Apart from the lack of tribal tattoo and very, VERY late 2010's haircut, everything about him reeks of mid-00's WWE monster guy. There's plenty of time to evolve, but for now, he's just there. 

Someone who isn't, however, is Britt Baker. She almost stole the show with a single vignette. What an awesome character she has turned into.

Line of the night : "He was twerking ! He was twerking !". Tony Schiavone, 2020.

This was the first empty arena Dynamite to hold my attention from beginning to end. I even watched the big man squashes.

I have emotional investments in the characters and the work is good. What more could I ask for?

I guess I didn't like the actual pin by Cody- it felt botched, like the momentum was forced. But I understand the overall story, so I gave it a pass.

I like Brandy now and even Dr. Britt Baker heeling it up.

Havoc has been good in 2020. That tag match reminded me of a good ECW brawl.

Wardlow has a great look for TV. Gotta have someone that looks like him in a league where many workers don't look larger than life, even if he looks like a CAW, he really stands out. 

I will support whatever Mr. Brodie Lee does. His Vince satires make me feel high for a little bit even though the world is crumbling due to COVID.

Dustin once again was fantastic. I can't say enough about him and his career. I hope he ranks high if there is another GWE poll. I have appreciated Lance Archer since 2018.

8 minutes ago, War is Raw said:

Havoc has been good in 2020. That tag match reminded me of a good ECW brawl.

Agreed on both point. And that's coming from someone who *hated* Havoc the first time I saw him doing half-comedy/half-harcore matches with paper cuts spots and stuff. Havoc the actual worker is better than I thought he would be, plus he's got potential as a character and promo, as he showed in MLW when he was paired with Salina de le Renta (whatever happened to her ? Just just vanished from MLW TV and only does the announcing I believe. What a shame.)

He absolutely has. Outside of a couple flippy spots and his finish, everything Archer does is what we rag on Kane for, right down to the "brisk walk" tempo. Wardlow at least moves his weight and body around so his stuff looks believable. He just needs new gear and to ditch the manbun.

The best thing about Britt Baker is the relatable aspect. We all know the straight-A student who is "professional" and always says the right, pleasant things. Deep down, those types are often concealing so much rage and have a really nasty side. That's basically her character right now. Think Tracy Flick -- the overachieving perfectionist type with a certain entitlement about them.

6 minutes ago, Loss said:

The best thing about Britt Baker is the relatable aspect. We all know the straight-A student who is "professional" and always says the right, pleasant things. Deep down, those types are often concealing so much rage and have a really nasty side. That's basically her character right now. Think Tracy Flick -- the overachieving perfectionist type with a certain entitlement about them.

Oh, that is just an excellent analogy!