Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 05/04 - 05/10 Watch The Last Dance

KawadaSmile

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Not sure if his criticisms match the content. While it is a fair concern, it's not like it's shielding MJ away from some heavy shit.

And in fact, it's been so honest of Michael that he was making the rounds on social media telling people that they hope they don't look at him differently now that all of this is coming out.  Which is amusing because amongst anyone who has paid attention to pro basketball or the history of it, Michael's ALWAYS been known as kind of a jerk.  It's part of why he is the way he is.  Larry Bird too.  There's been a neverending debate over if you need to be harsh and cruel to your teammates to win or if you don't really need to do that, with people arguing on both sides of the spectrum (Magic Johnson and Oscar Robertson being very notable members of the "you don't have to be a dick to your teammates to succeed" camp).

19 minutes ago, Tenese Sarwieh said:

In some cases the greater the player the great the ego and that will make them feel like they can do anything they want. 

Yup, countless cases of players who took it so far that they sunk their entire careers over it.  Allen Iverson is the modern-day posterchild of this.

no RAW notes from me,  I just can't do these empty arena WWE shows......but The Last Dance has been a great doc.  As someone who's 38...39 later this year......who's favorite sport to both play and watch was basketball, who wanted to Be Like Mike but also had a love/hate relationship with him in the 90's due to me being a diehard Knickerbockers fan.....I love this shit.  I lived through all of this....I know the outlines of everything, the stories real and imagined, some stuff is being colored in a little more, the only new info I'm gleaning is minor and antecdotal (but still great)....but the best part has been all the footage that's never seen the light of day before and the current day interviews with people, especially MJ himself.  It's fucking great.

Oh yeah, pWo.  AJ is back!!!  And he's alive!!!  That at least makes the MITB at Titan Towers more interesting to me....but tbh I'm definitely already hyped to see how they pull this off.  Doesn't mean I'm going to spend 5 hrs a week watching their tv....

1 hour ago, cm funk said:

but also had a love/hate relationship with him in the 90's due to me being a diehard Knickerbockers fan

Fucking word, dude.  Being a Knicks fan is about pure suffering.  I feel for modern Knick fans because most of them started in the Isiah Thomas era so they've seen all of like... two or three good years for the Knicks ever (that weird period from like 2010-2013 where the Knicks kept making the playoffs before everything shit the bed again).  I'd go crazy if I didn't have memories of Ewing/Starks/Oakley/LJ/Houston/Spree to fall back on.  Also shoutouts to Derek Harper.

44 minutes ago, MoS said:

As good as MJ was, this documentary series is making me love Pippen more and more with each episode.  

I've made this argument forever, but Michael Jordan wasn't winning six titles without Scottie Pippen.

Can't wait for the point when this Roman things gets turned into an angle and people will argue it was the plan all along like with Bryan's push to the top.

That people running this company are petty assholes is nothing new though.

The topic of the validity of The Last Dance is much more interesting than talking about RAW, but I totally get it if this comment is deleted.

I see the documentary as being mostly focused on the NBA and the Bulls and obviously Jordan (as the biggest NBA star ever who played for the Bulls). I'm only now finishing Episode 5, so I'm not sure what is covered in Episode 6, but if it does eventually get to Jordan's divorce - widely reported to be based on his philandering and gambling - then that will kinda discount Ken Burns' criticisms.

But even if it doesn't delve into that highly personal realm of Jordan's life, I'd still consider the documentary to be fairly objective and a great representation of the real subject - which is the sport of basketball, the NBA's rise in the early-to-mid-90s, and Jordan's role in that world. I don't think the producers of the film set out to make a film that gave equal weight to Jordan's on-court/off-court career. They could've, but they didn't. To me, it'd be the same thing if someone wanted to make a documentary about The Rock or Austin in the 90s. You have to choose what your theme and subject is going to be and, remember, much of this archival footage is coming from an unfinished (?) documentary about the Bulls' last season together. They weren't necessarily filming the team hanging out and getting into mischief at bars and clubs. I wouldn't expect a 10-hour documentary about Steve Austin's career and impact to discuss spousal abuse and divorce and all that muck until around hour 9, when his life went off the rails. And then I'd expect Hour 10 to basically rebuild his image as a guy who has turned his life around. I expect the same out of The Last Dance and I don't think that's "cheating" or "spinning" things to an egregious amount. Its storytelling.

Ken Burns makes highly objective documentaries, but, man, they can also be some of driest, most boring slogs to sit through. His criticisms are valid, but to me, they're a bit unnecessary and misguided. There's too much propaganda on cable (*cough* Fox News *cough*) for him to damn a sports documentary that intentionally focuses on the basketball life of the greatest player of all time and does, multiple times so far, make sure to get in some shots at His Airness as well. (Seriously, Jerry Krause seems like a bastard, but Jordan's comments directly to him are also pure bullying and don't seem at all playful. Almost to the point that Krause becomes sympathetic.)

4 hours ago, FMKK said:

Michael Jordan got over big on Raw last night it seems!

Well, it is a very good docu-series about the GOAT of basketball and maybe of team sports (Pelé is #1 and I shudder to think what a docuseries about his life would be like). No wonder it got more attention over 3 hours of empty arena wrestling :lol:

5 hours ago, El-P said:

Can't wait for the point when this Roman things gets turned into an angle and people will argue it was the plan all along like with Bryan's push to the top.

Thing is that they are just running a Roman Reigns special with some of his best matches and are very openly mentioning him in social media, so clearly they still see value in him and respect him. Maybe they just don't want to use him as of now? At the same time, they'll edit him out from the smallest of things and not even mention him, so it's conflicting messages altogether.

37 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Thing is that they are just running a Roman Reigns special with some of his best matches and are very openly mentioning him in social media, so clearly they still see value in him and respect him. Maybe they just don't want to use him as of now? At the same time, they'll edit him out from the smallest of things and not even mention him, so it's conflicting messages altogether.

Agreed to all this. We're seeing WWE's often awkward approach to handling curveballs. They don't want to bring attention to Roman onscreen because it's a reminder of how he had to make the call himself not to wrestle, along with emphasizing how no one should be wrestling right now. It's confusing, no doubt about that.

That's entirely possible. But WWE could have easily pulled the FS1 special coming on tonight, yet haven't.

WWE has always worked in the shade. Part of being the ultimate carnies. Could there be something deeper happening with Roman? Of course, we can't dismiss it. But it feels more like Hanlon's Razor at work, at least for now.