Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - May 6 2020

MoS

These mat exchanges are such a refreshing break from the usual wrestling we see on Wednesday nights. The usual wrestling is great of course, but I like the world champ working this way. Very very old-school booking that way. 

2 hours ago, gordi said:

Who are you to doubt el Brandi? She's a jam-up lady! :lol:

In hindsight, I actually should have shut up. The snake angle was awesome and credit to Brandi, she sold it perfectly. 

The main event was so ridiculous once it got backstage that I loved it. Matt Hardy's demented face while driving the cart with Omega hanging out the window was an amazing visual. The balls on Sammy to just jump into it too; it was like a Jackass stunt.

You know what, call me a mark, call me a fanboy, call me a stan, I don't care there's so much to love about that show I probably forgot half of it because every sequence was better than what preceded it.

But yeah, love the fact they are having Shawn Spears (who's got a great personality as showed by his shit at ringside and the one time he did commentary on Dark) be a dick and trolling Cody about his brother. I'd love a dramatic heel turn for Dustin, the guy can pull off anything.

I love the little tease of Darby & Taz getting into some sort of relationship/angle. I love how Brandy is such a bad-ass promo and how she did not sell (well, she did, but didn't) the fucking snake in her face and between her tighs (now I sound like Type O Negative). I love that Britt is my favourite female character this side of Madison Rayne and how that whole shoe running gag actually ended up meaning something. A match would not be great, but angles and promos from those two, can't wait.

I love salty JR at times "Awww, where's Kenny, where's the Kenny Omega that faced Okada... Well Kenny's here and he's doing fine.". 

And I loved, really loved the hell of that main event. Matt Hardy on ice ! I was so hoping he would come out of it transformed again and HE DID ! The Sammy bump off the cart was insane. Omega's moonsault was some crazy on the spot shit. This match was MOTYC, I don't care, the whole thing just killed me. Easily the best show since the pandemic started and this is why I have nothing but trust in AEW. Also, they can run Daily's Place as long as they want, and this place is gonna be iconic in a few years if nothing bad happens.

Yeah, loved this whole thing. (and yeah, I chuckled at the Corona advertisements all over the walls of Daily's Place)

Finally got around to watching my DVR.

PRO:
-Decent opener, but it's getting to the point where I can just say "SPOILER LOL CODY WINS" to start each show. Not that he shouldn't be beating Janela, he absolutely should, but variety is a thing. Even Nitro didn't start the same each week.
-MJF is the best promo in the entire business today and I can't wait for his in-ring return next week. He's such an alarmingly underrated talent between the ropes, too, because he's a rare talent who actually "gets" ring psychology.
-Shawn Spears needs to get away from Cody, but damn if he wasn't right.
-MJF AND Spears?! There's your tag partner, Shawn. There he is. Be the workhorse for MJF and Wardlow. Do it.
-Solid match between Mox and Kazarian, but it took a bit to get going. Kazarian looks more impressive when he does less spotty shit and has never looked better than he has in AEW. It was great to see the PIP not only return but highlight actual action.
-Darby Allin accomplishes more by not talking than Lance Archer can with a GOAT promo guy as his mouthpiece.
-ME was surprisingly decent, I guess. Better than the overwhelming majority of Omega matches in AEW, at least. The scissor lift moonsault was sweet, but the MVP was Sammy. As it usually is when he's involved. Thank fuck the right team went over.

CON:
-Nyla Rose is garbage and highlighting the other title contenders just exposes it even more. 
-Most AEW merch is lame and screams "I watch pro wrestling." The coolest shirts look like they'd be concert tees. Mox's Paradigm Shift shirt is a bit of an exception, but it looks more like something you'd find at Walmart than at a punk show. Cody's Affliction knockoff should be bleached, burned, and buried.
-Mox isn't a great submission wrestler, as good as that match was overall. It also didn't need to go as long as it did.
-NO. FUCK THE DARK ORDER. KEEP THE DUNGEON OF DOOM GARBAGE AWAY FROM THE MAIN EVENT. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU.
-Brandi is dry as fuck and gets outdone by Britt Baker on the mic because at least Britt has a personality. "I'm not Bill's Monica." Ughhhhhh...
-In a just world, Butterfinger Fruit Punch would be stuck working spot shows in West Virginia. It makes me laugh when people defend him. He's Kane without the actual success. Or menace. Or memorable matches. Or decent gimmick. But he has an alright moonsault, right? Stupid match, stupid post-match that makes Cody look like a cuck bastard for not rushing out to his wife's aid, and a stupid waste of time. 
-Matt Hardy can barely walk, jesus...

Overall, much better than the last few weeks, but there's still a big problem that the show has with the second hour. The same talents keep appearing in the same time slots, most of the matches being set up for Double or Nothing are bland and uninteresting, and talent that should be featured on the main program seems to either be MIA entirely (Hangman Page, Lucha Bros) or relegated to Dark (Statlander especially).