Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Money in the Bank : what the world is not watching

El-P

2 hours ago, MoS said:

They should have the entire gimmick vanish forever because it makes every opponent he feuds with look like a complete dork unless they are bulletproof like Cena and Bryan. 

It makes Bray, the writers, and all of us look like complete dorks too.

Speaking of dorks, I probably should have realized that last night, they were fighting up on the black (non-glassed) part on top of the top floor, where the logo is. But I didn't know that was habitable space until this show.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- I like Otis as much as the next guy but...I dunno...too goofy for me as a "Money in the Bank" winner. I'd have preferred AJ or Rey win, personally, as I think they're the only two guys capable of pulling something decent out of Braun. 

- I like Bray's puppets showing up in the empty arena. I think they should keep doing it when the crowds are back. At this point, him as a credible heel threat is done - he's simply lost too many times and, at MITB, got outsmarted by the "dumb monster" Braun Strowman. Bray definitely still has his fans, though, that buy his merch and eat his shit up and, as a midcard babyface act, this act could be okay. I loved the Firefly Funhouse stuff. Let him do more of those with guys like The Miz or Rollins. Just don't make them actually wrestle each other.

- I'm glad Asuka won. She's definitely been the best thing going in the WWE for months now, even before the pandemic. 

- That was the worst "Doink" I've ever seen. Could they not find the right wig? Was the internet down and they couldn't see a picture of what Doink's actual make-up looked like? 

29 minutes ago, DMJ said:

- I like Bray's puppets showing up in the empty arena. I think they should keep doing it when the crowds are back. At this point, him as a credible heel threat is done - he's simply lost too many times and, at MITB, got outsmarted by the "dumb monster" Braun Strowman. Bray definitely still has his fans, though, that buy his merch and eat his shit up and, as a midcard babyface act, this act could be okay. I loved the Firefly Funhouse stuff. Let him do more of those with guys like The Miz or Rollins. Just don't make them actually wrestle each other.

The whole Fiend booking progression was so incredibly strange, as they skipped right past him being an upper mid-carder before figuring out how the character worked in matches and just set themselves up for disaster. When you're putting him in title matches and main events, the bar is way high. Put it in the midcard and who cares if Bray's latest idea falls flat?

Rollins being terrified of Fiend and then losing to him cleanly was terrible booking. Of course it made Fiend very popular and got his merch selling. The supposed top face of the company looked like a wimp before him - as did Miz throughout their feud. He gets over at others' expense, and if he was a long-term top guy, that would have been fine. But he is clearly a novelty attraction best used in his own self-contained universe. If he keeps having Firefly Funhouse matches in the midcard, it's fine I guess. 

21 hours ago, DMJ said:

- I like Otis as much as the next guy but...I dunno...too goofy for me as a "Money in the Bank" winner. I'd have preferred AJ or Rey win, personally, as I think they're the only two guys capable of pulling something decent out of Braun.  

I don't even think having a good match with the current champion even matters. Usually the cash-in is some 30 second, non-match spot anyway. Like the Fiend will show up & put him out with the Mandible Claw then Otis will Worm him & pin him or some shit.

Haven't watched Sandow vs Cena since it happened either but I remember it being a really fun "PWG Cena" match with tons of moves and John kicking out of everything (which made Sandow's next big move feel like it could finally be the one), though not on the level of the ONS II main event.

23 hours ago, Coffey said:

I don't even think having a good match with the current champion even matters. Usually the cash-in is some 30 second, non-match spot anyway. Like the Fiend will show up & put him out with the Mandible Claw then Otis will Worm him & pin him or some shit.

Yea, I maybe didn't explain my feelings too well there. Its not necessarily about how he'd pair with a Braun or McIntyre or even The Fiend, Lesnar, or Reigns - who could all be Champion when he finally gets around to cashing it in - its mostly about the lack of depth to his character. There's been guys like him for ages in the WWE, from "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan to Rikishi to Polka-Dot Era Dusty, who are undeniably over but they're too comedy-based to be World Champions (to me). I'm not even saying Otis can't become a more serious character - I've been on the "Big E Deserves A Main Event Run" train for a long time now - but the present-day Otis, with the grunt and the ham obsession, is just too low brow. 

That's just one peron's opinion, but to me, he's fine in small doses, but I can think of 4-5 other guys that I'd be pushing as singles stars before I got around to Otis.

19 hours ago, DMJ said:

Yea, I maybe didn't explain my feelings too well there. Its not necessarily about how he'd pair with a Braun or McIntyre or even The Fiend, Lesnar, or Reigns - who could all be Champion when he finally gets around to cashing it in - its mostly about the lack of depth to his character. There's been guys like him for ages in the WWE, from "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan to Rikishi to Polka-Dot Era Dusty, who are undeniably over but they're too comedy-based to be World Champions (to me). I'm not even saying Otis can't become a more serious character - I've been on the "Big E Deserves A Main Event Run" train for a long time now - but the present-day Otis, with the grunt and the ham obsession, is just too low brow. 

That's just one peron's opinion, but to me, he's fine in small doses, but I can think of 4-5 other guys that I'd be pushing as singles stars before I got around to Otis.

I don't think they're trying to push Otis as a long-term singles star. They're in a period where nothing really matters, and Otis winning is a clip they can use for years to show "anyone can win Money in the Bank!" If there's someone they did want to strap a rocket to, this would be the worst time to do it. So instead, they can give Otis some credibility and do some humor around him holding the case.

Otis is the modern Hillbilly Jim.

I finally watched the match and thought it was surprisingly lacking drama. Basically a series of sketches that didn't really build to anything - the climbing spots at the end felt completely disconnected from everything before it. They should do more matches on the roof of the Tower, though, it was a cool looking venue.

Otis is actually bringing in a few viewers in key demos. Not that it means anything (nor it should, for obvious reasons) but it's a funny anecdotal evidence that HE'S THE GUY.

And, real talk, his program with Mandy is indeed wholesome. It feels sincere and they have good chemistry.