Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - May 13, 2020

MoS

On 5/14/2020 at 3:34 AM, MoS said:

If JR cannot sell what he is seeing cuz he needs to be legit or whatever for his fans, the least he can do is not bury it and let others do the selling. He's been awful for a good while. I was definitely NOT missing him. 

This. There's two occurence of JR sucking bad today.

First, the drone beatdown. Either get with the program or get the fuck away. Second, when he pointed out in a super condescending way that Brodie Lee did not hook the leg at one point, as he was Gorilla Monsoon at his worst.

The thing is, it also allows me to points out how *good* Schiavone is. First, listen to the tone of his voice when he concludes the drone beatdown sequence, with a sense of empathy and sadness in his voice, selling the fact it actually means something to Matt Hardy. Second, when JR makes his stupid remark about not hooking the leg and hammers it down, Schiavone jumps in and tries to rationalize it, talking about maybe it is part of Brodie's arrogance that he doesn't feel he has to do it. And then Excalibur, who is obviously smart but would not "counter" JR, adds to to Tony's point. In both case, JR acts like he's above the angle/the character and it's Schiavone who puts things back in the rails of the storytelling.

Apart form that, I enjoyed the hell out of the tag-team match, Matt looks much better than I thought he would, I thought he was more broken, pun intended, that this. Omega ruled, as he does. Glad to see Ortiz and Santana back "in the best shape of their life" (aka wrestling lingo for "nowhere near the best shape of their life, of not fat") too.

The women match however was a complete mess, and it's obvious Penelope, Statlander and even Baker are way green still, so the three of them together was not a good recipe. Statlander really is the greener of the three though, she dropped herself on her head on that one, it was scary. Baker should focus on doing heel maneurisms and spots like she did on Dark in a very nice squash, high speed intense spotfest aren't good for her at this point. Penelope was fine apart from the awful spot with Statlander. Nyla vs Shida no DQ could be quite good however, as Nyla has delivered in big matches with excellent workers, which is what Shida is.

When you have an announcer looking like Dasha, put the fucking camera on her at times, especially when she is being intimidated by Brodie Lee, so we can see the intimidation on her face. That's something I don't get. Lucha Underground was the best at it and of course Melissa Santos was an awesome announcer (will she follow Brian Cage to AEW when he eventually shows up ?).

The small crowds doing tons of noise and even chants makes all the difference in the world, so the PPV should at least have a decent atmosphere. The Stadium Stampede could be awesome.

Also... Colored wrist band for people who have been tested = pro-wrestling tapings are now officially like a gangbang. 

6 hours ago, El-P said:

The thing is, it also allows me to points out how *good* Schiavone is. First, listen to the tone of his voice when he concludes the drone beatdown sequence, with a sense of empathy and sadness in his voice, selling the fact it actually means something to Matt Hardy. Second, when JR makes his stupid remark about not hooking the leg and hammers it down, Schiavone jumps in and tries to rationalize it, talking about maybe it is part of Brodie's arrogance that he doesn't feel he has to do it. And then Excalibur, who is obviously smart but would not "counter" JR, adds to to Tony's point. In both case, JR acts like he's above the angle/the character and it's Schiavone who puts things back in the rails of the storytelling.

I noticed that, perhaps out of deference to JR's legend status, often seems hesitant to try to keep JR on point when he strays off the path. I suppose since Tony's got about the same level of experience he has it's ok if he's the one who reigns him in. 

The women's match was sloppy and should never have gone that long, but it had really great personalities and I hope they continue to be utilised, in a better way. Penelope is a star, Britt is amazing, and Statlander has real potential. Shida of course is great and has been for a while. 

Why are we not talking about the chemistry and timing between Jungle Boy and Chuck Taylor? There were a few exchanges between them that were so beautifully on point, let alone the excellent timing of JB's appearance in the ring as Chuck/Trent did their hug gimmick that JB interrupted with a dive, and it's not getting enough love.

If Ford is a star then I'm blind, because I've seen nothing from her in AEW, Beyond, GCW, etc. that makes me think she's worthwhile outside of the "trashy girl from Jersey" routine. Little moment from the women's match that made me really enjoy it: Baker going to stomp Shida's teeth out and Statlander, her partner/friendly rival, making the save and dumping Baker down. Statlander is going to be the star of the women's division sooner than later.

JR was right to shit on the Vanguard 1 stuff. This schlocky garbage is why I won't pay for an AEW show and, according to social media feedback, is a big turnoff for a sizable portion of the audience. It doesn't help that Matt Hardy walks like the Iron Sheik these days.

I had to explain to my girlfriend that Christopher Daniels was, for many years, a talent that it was impossible to have a bad match with. He needs to hang it up and Brodie Lee needs to get away from the Dark Order cancer gimmick. The Dungeon of Doom was shit 25 years ago, it's even shitter now that it's filled with career indie jobbers.

Social media has been abuzz with how angle a or angle b is a huge turnoff and will ensure AEW is never taken seriously since before the promotion started so I am not too concerned about that. That said, AEW has consistently shown it listens to audience feedback so hopefully they keep fine-tuning the angle.

I'll admit that, to me, one of the big positives for AEW thus far has been their ability to fine-tune things. Britt Baker is a great example. She went from being easily one of the weakest parts of the show to becoming one of the most entertaining. Just by tweaking her character. She's still not great in the ring but like her interactions with Tony Schiavone are great & leaning into the Doctor Dentist stuff for heat is great.

At the same time, maybe it ties-in with that positive, is that sometimes they're very unwilling to give up on things when they stink. Especially if it involves people from The Elite or friends of people in The Elite.

Well, yes and no. I can see your point but if you look at for instance, the atrocity that was The Nightmare Collective, that was kibboshed rather quickly. Granted, some would say that they then paired Brandi with Dustin Rhodes and QT Marshall but considering she's Dustin's sister-in-law, it makes more sense to me than that occult shit they were going for with the Nightmare Collective.

On 5/17/2020 at 9:25 AM, El-P said:

Damn, Kenny Omega killed his career dead two weeks ago now this ? Wow, AEW is so fucked now. 

Ok, next.:lol:

I want you to find that quote from me, and the look up what a strawman argument actually is. Until such a time, I will continue ignoring your feeble attempts at trolling. 

11 hours ago, SirEdger said:

Well, yes and no. I can see your point but if you look at for instance, the atrocity that was The Nightmare Collective, that was kibboshed rather quickly. Granted, some would say that they then paired Brandi with Dustin Rhodes and QT Marshall but considering she's Dustin's sister-in-law, it makes more sense to me than that occult shit they were going for with the Nightmare Collective.

Aye to this. Brandi paired with Dustin is just fine, and I've no problem with her being involved in Cody's programs, or even going off and doing her own thing. It just so happens that she's regularly attached to one of the worst parts of the show, week after week.

12 minutes ago, Laz said:

I want you to find that quote from me, and the look up what a strawman argument actually is. Until such a time, I will continue ignoring your feeble attempts at trolling. 

I did not quote you because my post was a followup to MoS post talking about people on social media. You can apologize now if you feel like it, not that I really care.