Pro Wrestling Only

Is Charlotte Flair the most overpushed WWE wrestler of the century?

KawadaSmile

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the problem with Charlotte - like Sheamus and Orton before her - is that she's accomplished everything already. 

That's why those two felt so stale well before their time (well, that among other reasons in Orton's case), and why she feels stale now.

With Becky gone is going to seem like Charlotte is extremely overpushed. Neither Sasha or Bayley are pushed as strong as her. Nicki Bella and Ronda are the only other Women in recent history that been pushed to the level of Charlotte or Becky. Charlotte is not as crisp at times but I think she has been an exceptional worker they past few years so I can tolerate it. She can pull off some really good matches. You cant really say that about other people mentioned, including HHH,. HHH has had some great matches but I don't think he was capable of doing it as many times as he should have considering hoe many times he was put into the position to. Corbin isnt multiple times World/Universal champ yet so cross him out.

Well I guess is it about winning titles and main eventing or just plain tv time?  Since the summer of 2017 Corbin has been getting an incredible amount of tv time. Especially that interminable stretch on Raw in 2018 where he'd be in multiple segments week after week. Then his main event run last summer that really started the ratings plummeting 

Bayley is just as overpushed as Charlotte. She's won all three womens titles, including the tags which Charlotte has not held. Her two SD women's title reigns combined have been longer than all 5 of Charlotte's combined. She beat Charlotte for a title 3 separate times including being the first person to beat Charlotte on PPV. Their WM records are almost identical with Charlotte only starting a year ahead. I don't even think Charlotte was ever pushed as hard as Becky's past year, Charlotte never came close to a year+ long title run. I think Charlotte's great and has earned her spot with countless amount of great matches, way more than others. 

7 hours ago, Loss said:

Not at all. It's a rare case where they've booked her to be a star with little to no funny business and she has become one. It somehow seems unjust because of all the talent we've seen squandered, but this is how it's supposed to work.

Couldn’t agree more. She’s probably the best handled wrestler in the WWE of the last decade or so.

8 hours ago, C.S. said:

I think the problem with Charlotte - like Sheamus and Orton before her - is that she's accomplished everything already. 

Has she beat her daddy's record already ? If not, that's coming up.

But that is the issue with 20 years of monopoly. People stay in the same company forever, and since you pretty much have a token spot on the card, it soon feels like you've been there forever.

And since we were talking about women and babies and cosmetics in the Corny thread, Charlotte is 34. How long before WWE decides she is "too old" ? John Cena was deemed too old when he reached 40, despite still being the biggest draw by far in the company. Considering their general views on women (Mickie James, who's only 40 now, has been called "fat" and "old" in the past in WWE angles), I truly wonder how long Charlotte's life expectancy is at this point. She really is the first woman who got to that point in WWE (don't give me Trish Stratus, please), since Becky (who's the bigger star) is leaving to have a baby and there's no telling what is coming for her when/if she decides to come back.

She has been directionless more than anything, especially since Becky replaced her as the top female star. She has been used as props for other people more than anything, except they constantly also push her on commentary as one of the GOATs and occasionally they remember it in the booking and give her big wins that don't really help her or anybody. 

Prior to Becky's rise, I absolutely think her beating Asuka at WM was the wrong move. Asuka was the closest thing to a force of nature the division had seen until Ronda and Charlotte's PPV streak had been broken - including at WM - so there was absolutely no reason for her to win that match. And then to have Asuka cut a promo basically bowing before the Queen. 

Yeah, Charlotte never has any actual storylines or feuds. She just kind of floats around between title matches and will randomly pick up a title for a couple of weeks or even a couple of days just so they can push her towards getting 16 even though no one on earth will think that somehow makes her equivalent to Ric. She was far better as an out and out heel when she had Ric or Dana Brooke as her second.

I don't have any problem with her being pushed as a star per se but it's done in the most uninteresting way possible.

Sure, Charlotte was booked to be a star. From the moment she got called up, she ended Nikki Bella's then record-setting reign. Nikki did everything she could to put her over, and those matches were good! But man, five years later is just feels like the women's division is Charlotte and Friends.

I remember vividly a match she had against Carmella where I'm pretty sure she sandbagged the whole thing. Char looked visibly upset at putting Carmella over.

And well, now she basically ran through the entire NXT division as well. No one, not even Becky, is on her level.

6 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

That does seem to reflect the general issue with WWE's booking philosophy, doesn't it?

Yes. Much like the criticism about not having real issue. Like it's been said before, everything in WWE now is about records and "moments". She has X numbers of titles. She has X days of holding the titles. She will have her X Mania moments.

This is tough because, like John Cena, Charlotte is good. 

Is it overpushed if the person being pushed works?

Baron Corbin doesn't always work. But I also don't think he's been around long enough for his name to even register with me. 

Edge comes to mind as well. Probably not over Triple H though. 

They've burned through so many title runs with her she's a weird Schrodinger's Cat of being both under and over pushed at the same time. They're clearly trying to have her match daddy but at the same time having  75% of her title runs fail in the first defense she's almost like the female version of the one week NWA champion.