Pro Wrestling Only

Is Charlotte Flair the most overpushed WWE wrestler of the century?

KawadaSmile

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

The Alexa push was awful. There's not much worse than a heel who verbally eviscerates her opponents before beating them clean. Especially when she's the smallest wrestler in the division and one of the worst workers. Anyway, I'm sure her depush was due to injuries catching up to her. It's hard to build around someone who's on the shelf for an extended period of time every few months.

Yeah, I think people are being far more kind to Alexa's run than they should be.  I like her and think she's an incredible talent, especially on the mic, but at one point she was getting the overkill push and just kept winning and winning while also burying the talent on the mic and some of her feuds weren't helping (dear god that writing team somehow killed Bayley, BAYLEY, when we all thought it was impossible to screw up Bayley).  Capped off by that Nia Jax feud where, like it or not, that WrestleMania match with how it was built up with Alexa being a bully and Nia standing up for herself, should've ended with Nia squashing her in a minute in a feel good moment of someone finally standing up to the bully.

Roman Reigns from 2013-16 ish is my pick here. HHH 99-04 is certainly on this list somewhere too. Roman's push was different though, unlike anything I have witnessed as a wrestling fan. He was getting a Hulk Hogan push with a Rocky Miavia reaction. 

Not saying they shouldn't have tried with Roman. Of course you push Roman Reigns, look at him. But in those first few years after the Shield, they pushed Reigns so hard, and did such a poor job of it, that a majority of fans resented him. People actively turned on that character to the point of it regularly hurting the product. It took him revealing his serious, life-threatening illness to reverse the damage of that first run and get fans on his side. That's the craziest overpush I can remember. 

HHH crushing everyone from 1999-2004 was also terrible, and also chased fans away from wrestling. I think those are the top 2, at least that I've seen. 

The contenders in my mind are HHH 2002-2004, Randy Orton 2004-2009, they backed their way into JBL and lucked out, Great Khali was fucking brutal (I stopped watching Smackdown for years because of him), Kane is a decent candidate, Baron Corbin is definitely overpushed, Seth Rollins but only recently I would say 2019. I am surprised a certain someone has not come up but I am such a huge mark for him I won't bring it up. :P 

HHH (2002-2004) - It was a truly brutal time listening to those 30 minute windbag promos as he went over every single WCW star (Steiner, Booker, Nash, Goldberg and I am probably missing others). He considers himself such a student of the game and idolized Flair so much but when he got a chance to play Flair he totally missed the point of what made Flair work...sub-5 minute promos and shining babyfaces. He is a fool. He is probably my pick. 

Randy Orton (2004-2009) - Cena & Batista needed a heel to wrestle ultimately and I guess Orton was good as any. He grew on me in the 2010s. I like his grinding style now. He has a great European Uppercut. I really enjoy when he makes some really weird faces. After 20 years, he has become a halfway-decent promo. He was the shits as a kid. He was the victim of the first start-stop push winning the World Title before Cena/Batista only for HHH to shit on him. I am glad they went with Cena & Batista over him. He was their go-to heel but he was pretty blah. The WrestleMania 25 build and match with HHH was pretty terrible. Once they laid off the push in the 2010s, he became more palatable. He was the PERFECT choice for the Authority's Candidate to go against Bryan in 2013. That was marvelous and the best he ever was. Bryan and Orton had freaky chemistry. The stuff with Edge right now is brutally bad. To hype it as the Greatest WRESTLING Match ever is so insulting. Orton is a classic case of getting pushed before he was ready. If it was like Bret and he was in a tag team 5, 6 years and then I-C level 2-3 years, dude would have been golden. Too much, too fast. It is too bad they rush things. 

JBL was so short and he turned out to be a tremendous promo that even though it started out as an overpush, it became a deserved push. 

Great Khali the absolute shits. I dont remember how long he was around but it was too fucking long. People can say well he became a comedy character but I think he had at least three years as a monster and it was three years too long. While overpushed, perhaps not the most overpushed but he needs to be mentioned for how atrocious he was. 

Kane - In late 90s, Kane was so fucking cool. Then they took off the mask and oh boy. I dont know if others remember this but Kane had a resthold my brother and I would affectionately call the "Kane snuggle". In the mid-00s, the reverse chinlock was running rampant as the preeminent resthold during a heat segment. Ever the rebel, Kane decided his resthold of choice was going to be a reverse waistlock while lying on the mat of his opponent. Kane was going to spoon his opponent into submission. There it was every year the Kane push. It almost felt like a rib. I did like Corporate Kane though. 

Baron Corbin - The heir to Kane. He is totally in the Kane role and I have been pushing this narrative for a while. He is tall and moves similarly to Kane. He occupies the same spot on the card that upper midcard heel they love to go to fill in those dead zones of their calendar right after Mania and right after Survivor Series. I have said this time and time again, Baron Corbin is not a bad wrestler. He is very serviceable. I have always liked his tribute to Big Bossman. I have always liked his right hand. I think he has two strong signature moves. He is actually pretty good at reciting their alphabet soup of a script. I get why he is pushed as he is universally hated. There is no pocket of fans that will cheer for him, hardcores, traditionalists, kids, casuals will hate him. He is too bland to sustain a run on top. Rotating him in and out of tag team/IC title hunt like Greg Valentine would be perfect. 

Seth Freakin' Rollins - If Corbin is the heir to Kane, then Rollins is the heir to HHH. I liked Rollins in the Shield. I liked 2015 chickenshit Rollins as the Authority's new heir to the throne. The Kingslayer stuff is when the wheels fell off the wagon and it got really bad last year against Brock Lesnar. The problem is that he has gone to the HHH school of promos and feels that length is strength and that if the promo is not 20 minutes he has failed. It is brutal. I have said this before the saving grace of HHH is that he has a sense of humor. The problem with Evolution HHH is that he was a humorless twat. There have been a couple times during DX revival HHH where I chuckled and I was like ok this fucker is pretty funny. HHH did rule so hard during the build to Bryan match at Mania XXX. Rollins does not have a funny bone in his body. The Messiah gimmick reeks of Heyman, who loves his religious references and is beyond bad. I would say Rollins is on track to exceed HHH. 

I wanted to talk about Charlotte and the women's division but this post got long. I am just going to split into two as it will be easier to read. 

What I don't get is why do they do things like always have her come out in the tallest heeled shoes they can possibly find when she towers over most of the roster already. Any time she does a promo with anyone else nearby she looks like a kindergarten teacher towering over the class. 

I have learned for years of experience front-load and bold key conclusions: Charlotte is deceptively entertaining. On the surface with her droning, monotone promo delivery and poor one-dimensional character, it is easy to believe that Charlotte is not entertaining and therefore overpushed. I have never gone into a Charlotte match thinking "this is going to rock" but 90% of the time I am at least satisfied. I really enjoy when she brawls and works stiff & hard-hitting like against Rousey & Ripley, they really wailed on each other. Some of her work with Logan I think early this year was wicked, it was like sub-5 minute FUTEN-style stiff brawls. She usually produces at least one WWE Women's match of the year candidate a year (vs Rousey, vs Ripley, vs Becky @Evolution 2018, vs Sasha in 2016, vs Asuka in 2017, I am just missing 2019). Therefore, I would argue her in-ring exploits are commensurate with her push and it is in large part because she is at the very least in the top 5 female workers of the main roster at any given time. While I cant point to a single non-wrestling segment Charlotte has ever entertained me in, I do enjoy her matches. 

So is Charlotte overpushed? No especially in comparison to her peers.

Bayley's heel run has been dreadful and has only been propped up by Sasha Banks' fierce, keen fashion sense during COVID Lockdown. They screwed the pooch with Bayley's babyface run which seemed unfuckable but this is WWE after all. Bayley is not a good promo. She trips over her words and also has a flat delivery. Again, a lot of it has to do with the total lack of angles or storylines ever. I do like Bayley in the ring probably more than most even if she is a little clunky. The Smackdown women's roster is pretty thin but Bayley has led Lacey Evans and Ember Moon through above average matches through solid pacing and escalation. 

Sasha Banks when she is on is every bit Charlotte's and Becky's equal if not their superior but man when she is off, she is off. The Boss was The Man before The Man was The Man. They seemed hell-bent on making Sasha a babyface. She could never cut loose since 2016. The Boss vs The Man produced the WWE MOTY at Hell In A Cell again because they wailed on each other and it was just a great fucking firefight. The build was brutally boring. It was clear the Boss had lost her swagger and mojo and lets be honest it has been gone for a while. Banks is a great bumper, she can really sell, and the Becky match proved she can go toe-to-toe and wail, her and Becky also had the best double-limb psychology match of the 2010s. She is very versatile, but when she loses her confidence everything goes South. 

My girl Becky! I was a huge Becky Lynch since I saw her Sasha match in 2015. There was something about her that I immediately latched onto and I picked her to be my favorite Four Horsewoman back in May 2015. I think it was the passion, drive and effort. Since Smackdown plays the B-towns and I live in New England, I usually go to 4 Smackdowns a year and all to see Becky Lynch because there is one performer that always gave 110%. Her promos always felt more authentic than the rest and most importantly they were fun! No Becky is not the smoothest in the ring but she makes up for it with sheer willpower and determination. To her credit has a three legitimate classics under her belt and probably the most iconic scene of the late 2010s (thanks Nia!) even if it was an accident. If you watched her Steve Austin Show appearance, you will see this is a person that it doesnt come naturally to. She stresses and really puts thought into every word and action. That can go either way. Randy Savage and The Rock have proved you can be a meticulous planner or have every word spelled out but if you can make it organic then it is fucking organic and I am none wiser more power to you. That's the key to Becky she was putting a lot of effort in and still coming across natural and organic. Mad respect for The Man! 

The non-Four Horsewomen: Shockingly it looks like Asuka is making a comeback. I would have never guessed that in a million years. The rising tide raises all ships looks to be helping Kairi Sane. Besides Becky, Asuka & Sane are my favorite WWE women's wrestlers. I thought the Pirate Princess gimmick was gold and loved her work with Shayna in 2017  and went to an NXT House Show in Lowell just to see her live. I have always enjoyed Asuka but I always figured she would never be more than a workrate queen because I just didnt think Vince/WWE would know how to market her and WWE fans at large wouldnt know what to think of her (similar to Nakamura). The Kabuki Warriors was something designed to pop me but I was disappointed time and time again first by not winning the tag titles and second by lack of air time. Then they turned heel. It took Sane a little longer than Asuka to find her sea legs as a heel but once they did they have been the best act on WWE TV by a country mile and especially during COVID Lockdown. They have amped up the zaniness and it is fun! Perish the thought, pro wrestling is fun! I am nervous they will do the WWE standard of Sane pulling a disappearing act now that Asuka is champion but it looks like based on her terrific recorder (who else played the recorder in 3rd grade!) performance that she is safe for now. If you are asking most underpushed in the women's division it is Kairi Sane without a doubt. How we didnt get a lengthy Becky vs Sane singles match back in the beginning of the year is insane!  

It has been covered but Alexa Bliss' concussion issues has shunted her down to the tag ranks. I think Alexa is amazing promo and the best at reciting the WWE drivel. She makes it seem like something a normal human would say and thats a real, rare talent. I like her ode to Nikki Bella right punch and she has great chemistry with Nikki Cross. She was overpushed for a spell there as a heel and I do think there was a market to turn her babyface earlier because she was over. She is the closest a woman has gotten to breaking the Four Horsewomen glass ceiling. 

I like Nia Jax more than most. I get it. She is dangerous. Some of those throws on Kairi were brutal recently. She does really need to tone it down, but I just love hosses and she is a hoss. That girl has power. The Rousey match was bonkers! Fucking terrific! Her power is so addictive to watch. When she goes on her sassy rant of being a 6', 300lbs Samoan woman I always pop. A safer Nia Jax that does awesome splashes and safely tosses her opponents around would be a wonder. 

Shayna is by far the most athletically gifted and coordinated wrestler they have. Her matches with Nattie have been terrific. She moves so well in the ring and is so fluid. She is beautiful to watch. Booking fucked her up but they can still recover. A thin division will make it tough on her but I enjoy her a lot. Shoutout to Sonya Deville. I change my pick the most underpushed wrestler in WWE is Sonya Deville, excellent offense. I would drool at the prospect of Sonya vs Shayna. I was fortunate enough to see an Asuka vs Sonya random house show match which is probably the best house show match I have ever seen, Beautiful mat work and strikes, built to a hot finish. 

That's my rundown of the women's division. I dont think you can call Charlotte overpushed based on her workrate talent and her peers. 

All the talent in the world won't matter when you're the focus on three separate (until this week) shows.  She absolutely should be at the top level based on her ability, but after a while it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy that none of her peers can match up when they all get groomed to lose to her. Just because she gives her opponents more before beating them doesn't mean it won't have the same effect of Hunter's Reign of Terror in hampering the company from creating new stars.

Sleeze with an excellent breakdown (and I'll add that 'length is strength' is the greatest descriptor in the history of our sport) but I am not sure one can come to the conclusion based on the rundown that Charlotte is not overpushed. A lot of weaknesses highlighted in her peers are booking issues like Vince not getting Asuka's and Kairi's appeal, Bayley being a HHH-style heel instead of her natural babyface role, and even Sasha basically being neutered since 2006. Charlotte is the only one who has been pushed consistently as a top star since Steph invented feminism in 2015, but they don't book her in any focused way at all - not since Becky's rise. It's why, imo, her wins often seem jarring and her few losses meaningless.

Charlotte should absolutely be pushed, but she, like everyone, is a victim of WWE booking, and this year at least, her booking has also hurt other wrestlers' momentum. I would mark really hard for a Charlotte feud with a returning heel Ronda though.  

40 minutes ago, MoS said:

Charlotte should absolutely be pushed, but she, like everyone, is a victim of WWE booking, and this year at least, her booking has also hurt other wrestlers' momentum. I would mark really hard for a Charlotte feud with a returning heel Ronda though.  

She's proven to be completely unlikable as a babyface, like a female Randy Orton, and Ronda would have to murder puppies in the middle of the ring to be a heel in that feud. 

Corbin is the heir to Kane, which is the problem. They're both usually slotted as upper-midcard heel gatekeepers, but just about everybody they feud with ends up less over than they were previously. However, I found it simultaneously amusing and baffling during the Team Hell No era when people who were smart enough to know better would insist that Kane had actually become actively good and wasn't just being hidden in tag matches. Then the team broke up and he went right back to sucking.

12 hours ago, sek69 said:

All the talent in the world won't matter when you're the focus on three separate (until this week) shows.  She absolutely should be at the top level based on her ability, but after a while it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy that none of her peers can match up when they all get groomed to lose to her. Just because she gives her opponents more before beating them doesn't mean it won't have the same effect of Hunter's Reign of Terror in hampering the company from creating new stars.

On WWE's The Bump talk show this week Charlotte in jest teased showing up on 205 Live!

Appreciate it, MOS and KawadaSmile, I was kinda annoyed at myself for staying up late to write that post but I am glad it was well-received. 

I cant take credit for "Length is strength" I was apart of the first generation of kids to undergo standardizing testing in Massachusetts and every year English teachers would argue whether "length is strength" was the right test strategy and the turn of phrase has always stuck with me. 

MOS one thing I would dispute is that Sasha has been neutered. Jimmy Redman and I have talked about this. She is in the camp that she has been neutered, but I think at least 50% blame needs to fall on Sasha's shoulders. I think she has lost her Boss swagger/mojo she had in NXT. She is very much a person that wears her emotions on her sleeve and lets her mood affect her work. I dont think that's necessarily a bad thing. She needs to figure out to channel that. Emotion is the basis of great pro wrestling so the fact she experiences emotions very vividly could be an asset. 

Charlotte may just like wearing high-heels shoes. There's a Taylor Swift song (yes Im a Swiftie 4 Life) where she is complaining about how her ex would bitch that she would wear high heels. Taylor is 5' 10'' and I think Charlotte is about the same height. They are already taller than the average man so they do NOT NEED to wear High Heels but maybe they want to. 

Charlotte/Rousey based on their Survivor Series match would definitely have at least another killer match in them. I would not hold my breathe about them having a great feud based on angles or promos. The WWE could have the second coming of Austin and Rock right now and I would not trust them to have a great feud. It is not indictment on Charlotte and Rousey thats a WWE promotional machine malfunction. 

As for the babyface/heel dynamics of this feud, I disagree that Rousey would have to murder puppies. The cracks with Rousey began to be exposed around November/December 2018 where the fans started to turn on her. Once she turned on the fans, I thought she was a red hot heel. I am a huge Rousey the pro wrestler fan and thought the fans' reaction to her did not match her work ethic and workrate. Even a couple months ago, she demonstrated the ability to still get under fans' skin. Charlotte is both a lukewarm babyface and a lukewarm heel. I do NOT hear a vocal contingent that "Hails the Queen" or "Boos The Woo". She just exists. Charlotte needs a opponent with heat. Rousey would have heat and Charlotte would be fine as the nominal babyface. 

I'll give Naomi a shoutout now. :) Part of it was that it was getting late and I was going long like a bad HHH promo and sent myself home. Naomi is athletically gifted, but it is a bit overstated. Those rhythmic kicks to the sides of her opponent were Kofi-light and I was not a fan. Incredible entrance and the most modern of its kind by actually incorporating "hip" EMD aesthetic. I love her vibrant colorful outfits when everyone else is in fucking black. Michael Cole saying "she calls that the Rear View" always pops me. She is great in the babyface role and winning the championship a couple times here and there is a perfect role for her. I think it was a dumb decision that she didnt get a one-on-one title shot against Bayley at Mania based on her return. I think in the thing tag ranks that she would do well to form a tag team. 

So I thought about what it meant to be Overpused. I think it comes down to three different types of overpushing. 

Overpushed relative to talent: Edge, 100%. I didnt want to bring up Edge in my original post because I think Edge is abjectly the worst main eventer they had in the 21st century based on wrestling because I know he is "over" with certain fans, I think it comes from the fact that he was a part of the TLC matches. Then I realized Edge should be precisely mentioned because he was an atrocious wrestler. When it comes to actually have good or great matches and contributing to them is their anyone who contributes less. He is offensively inept. Is he good at strikes? No. Matwork/grappling? No. Takedowns/Throws? No. Aerial offense? No. Does he feed well? No. Stooge? No. Contribute to movement/tempo/energy? No. Bump well? No. Sell well? No. He is useless. 

Overpushed relative to Charisma: Randy Orton, Seth Rollins and Charlotte. I have covered that Charlotte is not very entertaining but does have great matches. Rollins has anti-charisma. He is weird combination of an overconfident, unnatural, "tries way too hard to make you like him" dweeb/tool with a nasal delivery that is just toxic as an ace face. Rollins is totally fine in-ring and actually fits the 21st century workrate style perfectly. In the 80s, he would have been hidden in tag teams and in workrate-focused midcard feuds, but because pro wrestling has been become more workrate-focused he has gotten pushed. Orton should have been at the level of his father. He is perfectly fine mechanic just like his dad, athletic and coordinated. Unlike his Dad, he got a main event push and way too soon. Orton did eventually get over but I think it took him about 6-8 years to really click and some of that was attrition. The RKO Outta Nowhere is legitimately over. His promos were very weak for a long time and only recently has he gotten more comfortable delivering them. Orton and Charlotte both seem like emotionally dull people. Whereas Rollins is a try hard.  

Toxic Overpush That Hurts The Company: HHH and Rollins. HHH I think is a talented wrestler whose reach sometimes exceeds his grasp (ok a lot of the time this happens). I do think he has good ideas and I would say he is about equal hit to miss. I do think he is very charismatic, personable and funny when he wants to be. Ultra *breathes heavy* Serious *breathes heavy* Triple *breathes heavy* Haitch *breathes heavy* The *breathes heavy* Game is intolerable because he is humorless world-beating prick that never shows ass. D-X HHH in both incarnations and during Daniel Bryan showed a lighter side to himself is a great main eventer. That 2003 run killed the WWE's popularity and it has never come back. HHH has to shoulder a lot of the burden. Cena got back to a healthy level and Roman kept maintained. I think you can trace the most recent dip to when Roman got cancer. There are three things in play here. One they badly underpushed Rousey. She should have main evented everything right through Mania. I think that would have stopped the bleeding. Second they went directionless in the male division until Mania. Its fine they reverted to Brock but no one knew what the plan was until Rumble so they hemorrhaged viewers. I think using AJ or Bryan as a workrate stopgap champion (Bryan was the champ on Smackdown and AJ was on Smackdown but fucking Roman got cancer it was an emergency and if you need to move someone do it) would have helped rather doing a start-stop push with younger talent. Even with the Rousey underpush and losing 4-5 critical months due to aimless male booking, they could have remedied the situation by choosing the right heir to Roman and they went all in on Rollins and it blew up in their face. I think this is getting to be like 2003 and it could be a permanent loss of viewers just like what was experienced in 2003. The scary thing is I dont see a "Cena" on the roster. I always plug Big E at this point and would love to see him get a shot. Drew McIntyre is showing a personality and seems likeable but with the pandemic and the WWE Promotional Machine broken, he has a lot stacked against him. 

26 minutes ago, Superstar Sleeze said:

Charlotte may just like wearing high-heels shoes. There's a Taylor Swift song (yes Im a Swiftie 4 Life) where she is complaining about how her ex would bitch that she would wear high heels. Taylor is 5' 10'' and I think Charlotte is about the same height. They are already taller than the average man so they do NOT NEED to wear High Heels but maybe they want to. 

True, but she's towering over the rest of the roster and making them look like inferior children on TV, and that's before they have the match and end up losing to her. It's on the company that is constantly aware that they are in a visual business to address that. They have Alexa wearing platform type boots/shoes constantly so she doesn't look quite as smurflike so they clearly know it's something that can be done. It comes off as the company purposely making her literally stand head and shoulders above the rest of the roster. 

I'm not sure I understand the criticism that WWE is booking someone to be clearly better than others. Isn't that the thing we want? Isn't the common criticism that WWE has too much parity, which creates a situation where everyone runs together? They put her in high heels because she's physically impressive and it helps accentuate that. Should they be downplaying that so that she doesn't come across as special? What is the ideal here that they aren't hitting with her that they should be hitting? Again, I think the idea is not that she's overpushed. It's that others are underpushed. The goal shouldn't be to bring her down to the level of others, but rather to bring others up to her level.

32 minutes ago, Loss said:

I'm not sure I understand the criticism that WWE is booking someone to be clearly better than others. Isn't that the thing we want? Isn't the common criticism that WWE has too much parity, which creates a situation where everyone runs together? They put her in high heels because she's physically impressive and it helps accentuate that. Should they be downplaying that so that she doesn't come across as special? What is the ideal here that they aren't hitting with her that they should be hitting? Again, I think the idea is not that she's overpushed. It's that others are underpushed. The goal shouldn't be to bring her down to the level of others,  but rather to bring others up to her level.

I agree with everything but I must point out they are failing hard at the last part. Everyone she's programmed with comes  out looking lesser at the end. At his point she's basically Hunter with better matches and without the racial overtones. "Overexposed" is probably the better term than "overpushed", I'd say that much. 

5 hours ago, Loss said:

Probably the big difference between her and Hunter is that this isn't her own doing.

She's reportedly not afraid to flex her political muscles, so she probably has the ability to suggest things should be done differently.