Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - May 20 2020

MoS

16 minutes ago, MoS said:

Mox SHOULD destroy this dork, but they also need to sell the PPV. One of the absolute weakest headliners in recent history. Pandemic is not a great time to have a PPV.

Loved Mox saying he wasn't going to chase Brodie around backstage like a GEEK.  It's great seeing actual intelligent babyfaces in US pro wrestling. 

10 minutes ago, MoS said:

Like, they JUST had an absolutely terrific match without the need to do any stupid dive. If this is not a microcosm of issues with today's wrestling then nothing is. 

To be fair, you'd see the same thing happen in every Lucha show for the last 20+ years.  

That Page comeback was cool. But this show was the first mediocre AEW show of 2020 imo. Some good stuff, but a lot of weird booking decisions, injuries, bad audio issues, just a weird show. And what is up with Cody missing two straight PPV go-home shows. 

Also, Sammy has now officially been beaten too much. I know he gets his heat back by being in the Inner Circle, but he needs to be pushed as more than a JTTS. 

Had to be the weakest Dynamite yet. Although I thought the promos delivered (Jake & Arn and Shawn Spears), those matches had way too many risky useless spots and it might cost them a few participants. If I'm Tony Khan, I'm ripping into them after the show tonight.

The champion (Nyla) beating her challenger (Shida) clean in the final match before the title challenge just seemed silly. Obviously Baker was injured and couldn't figure into the finish, but if an audible had to be called, why not have Statlander eat the pin instead?

Ray Fenix should be furious with whomever the group was on the outside that didn't catch him. Jesus Christ guys.

Pac's vignette was awesome. The guy just comes across as so believable. Loved how he delivered the "cocky, little prick" line.

So this was the first Dynamite I watched since the one of with the Cody cage match on it. I thought it was decent, with some issues. 

It's probably be mentioned before, but AEW do the whole 'empty arena' thing better than WWE. The talent surrounding the ring does wonders to make the show sound lively. 

I don't buy Brodie Lee's gimmick. He's well-spoken, but his delivery of his promo felt forced and like he was reading of a script and not speaking from his heart. The Dark Order crap has always been bad, so there's no change there. That being said, Moxley backed up his side of the feud and looked brilliant. His match with 10 did what it needed to do and wasn't too back-and-forth yet it wasn't a total squash either. AEW struggles big time with finding this balance for TV matches featuring midcard guys fighting their top stars. I'm sure Lee/Moxley will be a hell of a match.

I thought the MJF match was the strongest match on the show despite being a squash for the most part. I think Dynamite need more matches like this. He toyed with Stunt and looked like a right prick. MJF/Jungle Boy is another match I am looking forward to at Double Or Nothing. 

As previously mentioned, the interview segments worked. It was great seeing Jake and Arn cut a promo, but it would of been nice to see Archer or Cody hype up their match some more. The Pac, Spears and Allin vignettes did a decent job of building them up without having a match.

Yeah, didn't care for the women's match. Their women's division is easily the worst part about AEW. Shida's decent, but I doubt she can get something worthwhile out of Rose. 

Hardy/Guevara was good, and the post match stuff at the stadium left me intrigued for the match at DoN. It could be awful, but I reckon I'll get a kick out of it. 

Thanks to Bucks, Omega, Private Party and Best Friends not wrestling on the show, I wasn't burnt out on the overly long matches as much as I was when I followed Dynamite weekly at the end of the year. No random midcard TV match should go over 10 minutes, in my opinion. The constant spotfests on AEW TV burnt me out and I stopped watching at the end of the year despite the main event stuff still being compelling. I honestly think Dynamite would improve significantly if they had to made it a one hour show.

I liked the show on the whole, although, in retrospect, I'm stunned there's no big Cody promo. He's been absolutely amazing at that the last year, and not having one is making this match feel a bit lesser.

Mox-Lee still feels a stop-gap because they didn't want to burn a money match on an empty arena show, but that it would have worked much better in a few months when the Lee character had filled in a bit beyond a caricature. Feels like they need a real banger just to help solidify Lee.

The Stadium Stampede is a clever way to basically replace Blood and Guts. The visual of the Page run-in was great.

I thought this was a pretty solid go-home show. Ten showed some good stuff, MJF worked a perfect competitive squash and Rey/Fenix was pretty fantastic. The two have great chemistry even though those dives after the match were terrifying. Did nobody want to even try and catch them?

Some excellent stuff, like MJF vs Marko and most of all Fenix vs Cassidy. If he lives, Fenix should be eventually pushed as a single star, he's just that awesome.

The main event was pretty damn good, Gueverra is gonna be totally great one day. Yeah, not crazy about him doing the job to Literally Broken Matt Hardy but that's ok I guess. The stadium postmatch was great shit and I can't wait for the match itself, hopefully they really go for broke.

Shawn Spears News showcased Spears strong points, the guy is actually a great talker.

Mox not playing along The Dark Order stuff was cool. I can't say I'm enthralled about this whole angle though. The Dark Order stuff is better, but still not exactly super compelling or anything. Schiavone "Ok I was right it's a cult" line was perfectly timed though.

The women match was rough, *again*. Statlander is cool and all, but she's so not ready for this push. Poor Dr. Baker got her leg of ankle squashed when they dropped Nyla on her, hopefully she'll be fine. 

Two vignettes in a row with people burning stuff (Allin and PAC, who looked great as usual) was not the greatest planning.

And I must say, I was not crazy at all about Arn & Jake. They are cutting promos about a match that will never, and hopefully never even as a tag or something, happen, meanwhile the real issue and the TNT title feels like an afterthought. The reality is that Cody (nor Brandi) doesn't need anyone to cut promos for him and Jake is putting the heat on himself instead of Archer. So yeah, underwhelming stuff if I'm being honest.