Jump to content
Pro Wrestling Only
KawadaSmile

WWE TV 06/01 - 06/07 Hiding in my bunker to avoid the collapse of civilization

Recommended Posts

By all accounts Vince legit idolizes MLK, but is also best pals with Trump. I don't think the entire psychiatric profession could unravel the enigma that is Vince McMahon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MLK is a Disney character to a lot of people who probably wouldn't like the real guy very much, and I suspect Vince McMahon is at the top of that list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Loss said:

MLK is a Disney character to a lot of people who probably wouldn't like the real guy very much, and I suspect Vince McMahon is at the top of that list.

For younger folks I would imagine that could be the case, but Vince came of age right when MLK was doing all the stuff you'd expect he would very much not like. It's what makes it even more head scratching for me, it's not like he only knows of an idealized version of the man. He would have been very aware of what he stood for in real time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2020 at 11:35 PM, Tenese Sarwieh said:

He's 35? my god he should've been on the main roster ages ago instead of toying around with the North American belt, this man has it all to be a top star.

Yeah, I am really surprised Lee's knees and back aren't already shot. He played college football and he's someone his size and frame that worked the style of the day on the indies for a number of years. 

Big E is a year younger to provide some perspective. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Tenese Sarwieh said:

With guys like Lee, Big E, and countless others being stagnant provides more evidence that the star making machine is dead. 

With Big E I can kind of understand it since the New Day is such a popular act they don't want to break it up, and all three of them have stated they resisted any suggestions to do so. 

There's no excuse for Keith Lee not being made the top star though. Dude's got the ability and the charisma for it and it's hard to think of any reason why he isn't other than the obvious that wouldn't make for good PR in the current climate.  It really seems they are trying to run out the clock on him til he gets to that point where Vince deems you too old no matter what logic dictates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much of that isn't Hunter's fault, though? At this point I'm grateful Riddle and Dijak went to the main roster because they had NOTHING going on NXT.

Triple H just burned through possibly the best talent pool in wrestling today. Gargano was the #1 babyface in the world not long ago and now he's in this fucking weird heel character. Nothing happens, nothing progresses, nothing advances. 

Let's see if Dream gets the win at Takeover. Considering recent events, that might not happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Let's see if Dream gets the win at Takeover. Considering recent events, that might not happen.

Considering other recent events, that might happen. My guess is WWE will capitalize on the BLM movement and give it to him for that reason, as cynical as that sounds and is.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HHH coming out to give him the new contract was just so WWE. Respect to Drake for cutting a shoot promo that was so good he got resigned even though it's probably at a lower rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WWE firing people sucks, but I am glad he got resigned. He's really talented and now that they have pushed his resigning prominently, I hope they give him a push. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would've been a sweet angle if there wasn't a pandemic going on. And if dozens of other wrestlers didn't get the same treatment.

Fantasma's win also meant nothing, too. Not Ideal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the match was awesome, with the "fans" being a reasonable facsimile of the real thing and giving the match a little bit of extra "heat."

The aftermath was very awesome and emotional, and I liked H coming out and handing Maverick a new contract. It was a nice callback to the Cruiserweight Classic with Cedric Alexander.

Of course it sucks that so many others lost their job, but every fan always says they wish WWE would realize the mistake they made in letting go of xyz. Well, in this case, they did. 

Good on Drake. 

As for Fantasma, it doesn't really matter if his win meant anything or not, because he's just a placeholder for when the "real" champion Jordan Devlin returns and reclaims his title - probably in a ladder match with both belts hanging from the ceiling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, C.S. said:

Considering other recent events, that might happen. My guess is WWE will capitalize on the BLM movement and give it to him for that reason, as cynical as that sounds and is.

 

 

WWE painted themselves in a corner with Dream, some of it wasn't their fault, but now they're in a position where if he wins they put the belt on a guy who seems to have sent dick pics to someone underage. If he loses, then they face the wrath of having him lose a high profile match in the middle of historical racial unrest. 

Did Adam Cole ever re sign with WWE? I kept hearing his contract was ending this summer so I assumed this feud was set up to write him out if he leaves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, sek69 said:

WWE painted themselves in a corner with Dream, some of it wasn't their fault, but now they're in a position where if he wins they put the belt on a guy who seems to have sent dick pics to someone underage. If he loses, then they face the wrath of having him lose a high profile match in the middle of historical racial unrest. 

Did Adam Cole ever re sign with WWE? I kept hearing his contract was ending this summer so I assumed this feud was set up to write him out if he leaves.

They should've pivoted to Keith Lee, who has star all over him but isn't getting any younger. Instead, Lee is wasted in this terrible cringe feud.

I have no idea about Cole, but I'd be shocked if he didn't re-sign. Now isn't the time to be playing the field. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dream should probably get the win, because Cole has been at the top of the NXT food chain for too long. They're likely to get the belt on Kross ASAP, anyway. So Dream can be a transitional champ.

As far as Dream's possible legal issues, there's been no mention of them in a month. I'm guessing WWE/NXT has investigated and think he's in the clear, along with charges likely not being filed by the accusers. Doesn't make things any less icky. But if Dream's not in trouble of getting arrested, then it's business as usual.

Cole, Ciampa and Gargano swallowed NXT's main event whole for over two years. What a chore to get through, even when it was good. Aleister Black had zero chance of accomplishing anything as NXT champ because he always had to play second fiddle to DIY.

The elephant in the room is not wanting to send them to the main roster. They tried with DIY for a bit before CIampa got hurt again. But none of those guys have the size Vince likes. Cole's promo skills and personality will help, but he's tiny. Daniel Bryan was considerably bigger than him on SD last November, for crying out loud.

Agreed they should have pushed Keith Lee hard after Survivor Series. But they had to go through the motions of Cole-Ciampa, which I understand because Ciampa didn't lose the title. But everyone has been going in circles since. Having Riddle leave NXT without holding either of their singles titles is incredible. I'm not even much of a fan, but he brings something different to the mix. They really need that.

Again, get to Kross as champ and reset the deck. But I sort of get the feeling we're going to see Kross/Scarlett mix it up with Gargano/Candice for a bit. Candice as evil Tinkerbell has potential, but Gargano plays heel like a demented Smurf. Wouldn't be that bad if he wasn't so OTT goofy with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

The elephant in the room is not wanting to send them to the main roster. They tried with DIY for a bit before CIampa got hurt again. But none of those guys have the size Vince likes. Cole's promo skills and personality will help, but he's tiny. Daniel Bryan was considerably bigger than him on SD last November, for crying out loud.

This is why I'm thinking Cole might leave. He has to know there's zero chance Vince does anything with him on the main roster,  and he has a much better shot of being a top guy in a place like AEW where he  obviously already has connections. 

Dave mentioned WWE is now feeling comfortable letting guys go they feel won't be difference makers anywhere else, and I can easily see Vince putting Cole in that group.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, sek69 said:

This is why I'm thinking Cole might leave. He has to know there's zero chance Vince does anything with him on the main roster,  and he has a much better shot of being a top guy in a place like AEW where he  obviously already has connections. 

Dave mentioned WWE is now feeling comfortable letting guys go they feel won't be difference makers anywhere else, and I can easily see Vince putting Cole in that group.

I don't see Cole leaving. Longest reigning NXT Champ. Has the backing of both Triple H and Shawn Michaels. That will at least earn him a second glance from Vince and a chance to get over on the main roster. 

The first two AEW Champs have been Jericho and Moxley. Cody and Brodie have been top contenders. Cole is not nearly the star any of them are, so I'm not sure what he'd expect from AEW - at least right now. In a few years, sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantasma-Drake was a fantastic match and the post match would have been a great angle had the whole thing not been based on the company cutting people to save money in a year they were set to make record profits no matter what. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sek69 said:

This is why I'm thinking Cole might leave. He has to know there's zero chance Vince does anything with him on the main roster,  and he has a much better shot of being a top guy in a place like AEW where he  obviously already has connections. 

Dave mentioned WWE is now feeling comfortable letting guys go they feel won't be difference makers anywhere else, and I can easily see Vince putting Cole in that group.

That must be why Bryan Alvarez reported that WWE is calling back talents they fired last month by offering them a fraction of what they were doing before they got fired. And coincidentally, 24 hours after the Slammiversary teaser Impact released, featuring those said talents.

Sorry, but I don't buy what Dave is saying here. WWE will never be comfortable with anyone making money elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, if I got fired during the pandemic and the company came back offering me a fraction of what I was making as if it was a gesture of goodwill I don't know if I could tell them to fuck off fast enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Man, if I got fired during the pandemic and the company came back offering me a fraction of what I was making as if it was a gesture of goodwill I don't know if I could tell them to fuck off fast enough.

I'd shocked if this is what happened with Drake though.

At the very least, he's probably making the same money as before.

The fact that Bryan didn't mention Drake's name specifically in that report - or so I'm assuming, based on @SirEdger's synopsis - tells me that Drake wasn't lowballed. Of course, I could be wrong and I would put nothing past this company, but I don't see it. 

We'll probably find out one way or another soon enough. 

Update: Kayfabe explanation:

Non-kayfabe (over?)reaction:

Yeah, it's shortsighted and tone deaf that WWE turned a massive round of layoffs into a "feel good" angle, but I can't blame or criticize Spud for talking his way back into employment. Good for him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm starting to think he was never actually let go to be honest. If you look back,  pretty much everyone else let go had either made waves about wanting to leave or was someone that hadn't been used in forever. Drake didn't really fit in either category, and it made the company look stupid for appearing to release someone who was already announced to be in a tournament spanning multiple weeks of TV. That's some Dixie-level TNA shit to do, not something you normally see in WWE - especially on a show they are putting focus on as the one combating the new competition. 

I'm probably being too conspiracy theorist (and almost certainly giving the company too much credit),  but it just seemed to work out nicely for everyone involved in a way that just seemed too neat for something not planned long in advance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sek69 said:

I'm starting to think he was never actually let go to be honest. If you look back,  pretty much everyone else let go had either made waves about wanting to leave or was someone that hadn't been used in forever. Drake didn't really fit in either category, and it made the company look stupid for appearing to release someone who was already announced to be in a tournament spanning multiple weeks of TV. That's some Dixie-level TNA shit to do, not something you normally see in WWE - especially on a show they are putting focus on as the one combating the new competition. 

I'm probably being too conspiracy theorist (and almost certainly giving the company too much credit),  but it just seemed to work out nicely for everyone involved in a way that just seemed too neat for something not planned long in advance. 

I think you're being too much of a conspiracy theorist, honestly. They brought Kurt Angle back too and offered him more than just the one ref gig, so it's not like Spud is the only one they changed their mind on. 

Of course, if you do want to be a conspiracy theorist, you can point to the fact that Spud's picture was the one used for the WWE.com article about all the releases - until Kurt Angle's name was announced, and then it was his picture that was used. Now both are back (even if only for occasional appearances in Kurt's case). :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×