Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 06/01 - 06/07 Hiding in my bunker to avoid the collapse of civilization

KawadaSmile

I'd be shocked if Adam Cole left for AEW. There's people who'll have been looking over to greener pastures because they think they've been misused, but Adam Cole should not be one of those people. He's the longest reigning NXT champion in history, must be getting healthy merch cheques for all the UE shirts they seem to sell, seems to be beloved by both HHH and Michaels, and has basically had an entire brand built around him for the past few years. As much as I'd personally be happy for him to leave NXT, as I think the combo of him, Gargano and Ciampa are the worst things about the show, he's surely going nowhere.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, C.S. said:

The first two AEW Champs have been Jericho and Moxley. Cody and Brodie have been top contenders. Cole is not nearly the star any of them are, so I'm not sure what he'd expect from AEW - at least right now. In a few years, sure. 

I don’t know about that. For AEWs core audience, Adam Cole and Undisputed Era are the greatest thing in the world. He might not be a needle mover with ratings (who is?) but he’d make them a ton of money

Drake Maverick has about as much pride as a mop. Good for him, being the good little soldier allowing his disgusting company to have an "emotional" angle and cutting a promo about "keeping your dreams" and other managerial/positive thinking bullshit when people actually got cut during a pandemic. Just watched that promo he cut, and I legit feel ashamed for this guy. That's something I guess...

One thing is for sure, as long as workers will have that kind of mentality, the concept of a union is not even thinkable. They get fucked and ask for more and say thanks when their employers "make their dream" by allowing them to have a job. Clap clap clap. 

Oh and BTW, the whole bit about "people who don't cease opportunity" is the most disgusting part. This promo is actual propaganda for the most brutal über capitalism and tells that if you get fired, it's pretty much your fault because you did not "cease the opportunity". While in the middle of a pandemic where people lost their jobs and are in very precarious situation because of it. The message this whole deal and this promo sends is amazingly disgusting and disturbing : be glad if you boss allows you to work.

I hope for his sake Drake Maverick sleeps well at night, because he just cut one of the most historically disgusting promo ever. I hope this guy gets a job for life with them for being the corporate mop that he is.

On a purely pro-wrestling side, this also is the perfect picture of why his company can't make any stars. Because they are all painted as corporate dolts, who just want to have Mania Moments tm, and are petrified at the idea of not working for the company (because no one makes a living out of WWE of course). And you wonder why WWE's audience has been shrinking without fail forever now ? 

Totally agree with all of that, El-P.

The biggest success that company ever had was when their top face didn't give a shit about what his bosses told him to do.  Yet somehow, they're at a point now where faces are "just happy to be there!" and will beg and cry to save their jobs.

13 hours ago, sek69 said:

WWE painted themselves in a corner with Dream, some of it wasn't their fault, but now they're in a position where if he wins they put the belt on a guy who seems to have sent dick pics to someone underage. If he loses, then they face the wrath of having him lose a high profile match in the middle of historical racial unrest. 

Did Adam Cole ever re sign with WWE? I kept hearing his contract was ending this summer so I assumed this feud was set up to write him out if he leaves.

Assume everyone in NXT on TV is locked down long term until authoritatively told by a reputable source. The roster all signed new/upgraded contracts in the Winter of 2019 as a result of the USA Network and the "NXT is the main roster" declaration. 

TUE will likely end up on the main roster by year-end. 

11 hours ago, C.S. said:

I'd shocked if this is what happened with Drake though.

At the very least, he's probably making the same money as before.

The fact that Bryan didn't mention Drake's name specifically in that report - or so I'm assuming, based on @SirEdger's synopsis - tells me that Drake wasn't lowballed. Of course, I could be wrong and I would put nothing past this company, but I don't see it. 

We'll probably find out one way or another soon enough. 

Update: Kayfabe explanation:

Non-kayfabe (over?)reaction:

Yeah, it's shortsighted and tone deaf that WWE turned a massive round of layoffs into a "feel good" angle, but I can't blame or criticize Spud for talking his way back into employment. Good for him. 

Like I said last night, I don't think it's a coincidence that WWE is doing a round of calls to possibly bring back the released talents hinted at in the Slammiversary trailer but in Drake Maverick's case, I genuinely believe that WWE was caught flat-footed as they didn't expect him to garner as much fan support as he did with the video he shot after his release. They more than likely intended to bring Drake back in the tournament to pretty much fill the role that Tony Nese did in dropping all matches but I feel like the backlash was bad enough for just firing talents during the pandemic that it would make things even worse just to have him job out the whole way. In the end, while I'm extremely happy for Drake, WWE stumbled on that one guy who would've done everything to get his job back and that's what happened.

If you watched the initial one or two weeks of the tournament Tozawa vs El Hijo del Fantasma was very clearly the final. The tournament was a backdrop to the parking lot abduction storyline.

Drave Maverick is both very highly intelligent and someone who is a mark for the Pro Wrestling business to the point of a character flaw. I don't think you can really call him exploitable. The actual reality he just knows how to play the game and say the right things. He originally quit a career in the financial sector to become a wrestler. 

I'll call him "Corporate Mop" from now on. Pass the bucket so I can watch that promo again and vomit.

And he was most known in WWE before that point for the "pissing himself" angle. So, the "not exploitable" and "very intelligent" argument don't fly. No pride and no dignity however, yes indeed.

27 minutes ago, El-P said:

I'll call him "Corporate Mop" from now on. Pass the bucket so I can watch that promo again and vomit.

And he was most known in WWE before that point for the "pissing himself" angle. So, the "not exploitable" and "very intelligent" argument don't fly. No pride and no dignity however, yes indeed.

I love ya, man, but your posts on this are the epitome of "wrestling bubble."

Dude had a chance to get his job back in the middle of a pandemic, and he took it.

No one should begrudge him for that.

Be angry at the company who created this shitty situation, not the wrestler who did what he had to do to put food on the table.

If he swallowed his pride and took a price cut (and nobody knows if that's the case), that's between him and his accountant. 

Lio's not wrong, but even he isn't blaming Drake directly.

23 minutes ago, C.S. said:

I love ya, man, but your posts on this are the epitome of "wrestling bubble."

Dude had a chance to get his job back in the middle of a pandemic, and he took it.

No one should begrudge him for that.

Be angry at the company who created this shitty situation, not the wrestler who did what he had to do to put food on the table.

Oh for fuck's sake, not that "food on the table" bit. What about the other ones BTW, who didn't "cease the opportunity", as Mr. Mop so eloquently said ? They wouldn't have to get their job back if they weren't fucking fired in the first place by the benevolent bosses. The whole "I got fired but I'm gonna prove I'm worth working for those who fired me and get back in their good graces with tears of joy" thing is atrocious. How can anyone rationalize this shit ? 

No. Defending this *is* being stuck in the bubble. This whole thing is godawful and Drake Maverick should be fucking ashamed of agreeing to go along and cut THAT fucking promo while people, not meaning just people from WWE but people in the real world, lost their jobs.

But like I said, his dream job had him pissing his pants on TV, so yeah that was worth crying like a little bitch when your boss "allows you" the "opportunity" to "win the heart" of the Brand, after releasing you during a fucking pandemic (while NO OTHER pro-wrestling company did it, not even NWA or IMPACT, those juggernauts). Fuck that managerial bullshit. Fuck Drake Maverick for playing along (to remain polite) and fuck this company seven ways to Sunday. There's no defending that shit. 

I haven't seen anyone defend WWE on this. What they've done with this story is suspect. I think Maverick was legitimately released and understandably upset about it. The outcry for him was real because he's seen a versatile talent who can take almost anything given to him and make it work.

WWE took advantage of the situation and Maverick. His desire to keep a job, his willingness to go along with the story. Then again, there are only a few wrestlers who wouldn't be put in a similar spot. That speaks to the emotional games WWE can play with them. It happens because many grew up wanting to be in WWE, instead of looking at it as a way to make decent money fast and move into some other form of entertainment.

Maverick is 37, undersized and married for less than a year to another wrestler. We don't know their financial situation. How many more years of steady income does he have from wrestling? Who's to say? He can manage other wrestlers or be a general manager again, easily. But who knows how the WWE winds will blow in a couple of years. Or wrestling in general, for that matter.

For all the talk of how bad WWE is for doing this--and again, no one is defending it--I wouldn't be surprised if we see something similar from other promotions once shows start back in earnest in a few weeks.

51 minutes ago, El-P said:

Oh for fuck's sake, not that "food on the table" bit.  

Easy for you to sit there on your high horse and pontificate when you don't know the man's financial situation. 

Yes, fuck the WWE for doing this in the first place. We're in total agreement there.

But excuse me if I'm not going to bag on a guy for getting his job back when the world has gone to shit and there's no guarantees in the wrestling industry anymore. This isn't six months ago when wrestling was thriving and everyone was hiring. That's gone because of this pandemic. 

I have no idea if he swallowed his pride, took a paycut, has misguided "gratitude" for the company, etc. All I do know is he was offered his job back in very uncertain times with the biggest wrestling company in North America and he took it. Forgive me if I'm not going to begrudge him for making the best business decision for him and his family. Begrudge the company - yes, I'm with you there - but not the wrestler. 

20 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Easy for you to sit there on your high horse and pontificate when you don't know the man's financial situation. 

I don't know and I don't give a fuck. Because what about all the others who got cut ? Apparently it's because they didn't "cease the opportunity". For that comment alone, this guy is on my shitlist. And if I was one of his former co-worker fired at the same time, I would be pissed as fuck all for agreeing to say that stuff and he would have a phone call and ask for an explanation.

I have no idea if he swallowed his pride, 

Well, he obviously has none. 

All I do know is he was offered his job back in very uncertain times with the biggest wrestling company in North America and he took it. Forgive me if I'm not going to begrudge him for making the best business decision for him and his family. Begrudge the company - yes, I'm with you there - but not the wrestler. 

What you forget to mention is that this all was used to send a message. Because really, you think WWE gives a flying fuck about Drake Maverick or the cruiserweight tournament ? This is the company who gave Chad Gable the Shorty Gable gimmick. They had him piss his pants before. He's just been a tool to play with people's emotions and manipulate the audience and send a memo to the employees independent contractors :

"Be thankfull you have a job. Cry for the opportunity. Be good boys and girls and maybe you'll get your job back if you're of some use to us. Say the corporate things."

That's the crux of the whole thing, not the "emotional story of a guy who got his job back" (but... why did he need to have his job back ? Oh, because he was fucking fired, or maybe not, who knows, in which case it's even worse). And that's what should be emphasized here.

I don't know Drake Maverick but from what I've seen in these few weeks alone, the cringeworthy promo when he was "allowed" in the tournament and this one, I would not want to know him IRL either, thank you very much. I have zero sympathy for this guy, none whatsoever.

1 minute ago, El-P said:

Because really, you think WWE gives a flying fuck about Drake Maverick or the cruiserweight tournament ?  

Nope, I don't.

WWE made a business decision. So did Drake.

If he's drinking the company Kool-Aid and has a deep love for WWE, that's on him, but I somehow doubt he's that blind and naive.

Time will tell. 

As for the other wrestlers, it truly sucks for them - they have my deepest sympathies - but almost all of them would do exactly as Drake has done, and you've fooling yourself if you believe otherwise. 

2 minutes ago, C.S. said:

As for the other wrestlers, it truly sucks for them - they have my deepest sympathies - but almost all of them would do exactly as Drake has done, and you've fooling yourself if you believe otherwise. 

Maybe they would. Maybe they would not. Maybe they would but not agree to cut that promo, at least not the bit about "ceasing the opportunity". We don't know. The fact is, he did and did it in a way that emphasize how tasteless and cynical this whole thing is. He's agreed to go all the way. Like I said in my first post : "good for him. Or not."

But hey, all of this will be forgotten when they strap Velveteen Dreams with the title... :wacko: