Pro Wrestling Only

CHARLOTTE TV 06/08 - 06/14 CHARLOTTE. MUST. POSE

KawadaSmile

Y'know, speculating who may or may not be a racist based on where someone was raised, if they served in the military, or their financial status is weak fucking sauce. My father is white, 82, born and raised in Kentucky, and served in two branches of the military. He and my Mom are the reason why my sister and I knew that racism, sexism, and homaphobia were wrong and that we should never put up with it.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SD doing 2 million to Raw's 1.7 million actually reflects poorly on SD, since it's on broadcast network while Raw is on cable. The fact that SD's viewership has gone below 2 million a bunch of times despite being on network TV is even more damning. 

2 million, give or take, seems to be the magical number. Even though that's off from SD's previous average, that number along with doing pretty well in the 18-49 demo gives them a cushion.

Also, you can see SD's ratings soften then fall and correlate them to when Roman Reigns left. They stayed on par for a couple of weeks after he dropped out of WM, but have dipped below average since.

Some of that is due to many fans not wanting to watch no-crowd wrestling. But with the decline happening as Roman walked out the door gives SD an out. RAW doesn't have that. Even though they've also lost their biggest star in Becky Lynch, RAW's ratings have been down all year.

Someone mentioned it before:  Roman may be one of the biggest winners in the Pandemic Era simply by going home. Not being around to get covered in the stench with the current mess and having ratings fall during his absence--even with it not completely being about him--makes him look good.

Is Raw still 3 hours? I still look at it intermittently or if these threads say there's a good match but haven't watched it live/in full since 2019 probably. There's no way a 3 hour program with no crowd is attracting anything other than the truly die hard. 

Seems funny that the way to invigorate shows is yet another ageing relic though. The problem might not even just be vince at this point, it could the succession of old bastard after old bastard running the show.

(Hell i am an old boy now too but still...) 

Needs some fresh blood, ideas, execution. 

Raw is still three hours, and even when they have good matches, it's often a grind to watch the entire show. It was even worse with no crowds. Bringing in the NXT/PC folks for a crowd helped, but nothing can really overcome it being way too much time for any wrestling show to fill without dragging.

Replacing one 50-year-old dude with another 50-year-old dude to try to appease a 70-year-old dude is certainly not how you appeal to the younger fans, that's for sure. It sounds like the United States government.

I really don't think wrestling is going to be cool again for a long time. We're not getting a Stone Cold Steve Austin or nWo anytime soon. And AEW is going in the complete opposite direction - they want to be the super nerds. The Rick & Morty fans. The Dungeon & Dragon LARPers & shit. NXT looks even geekier than that.

At least for in-ring, New Japan is coming back, so that's something.

Nothing is changing until Vince McMahon dies. Not retires, but dies. Do you think Vince retiring & walking away would be able to keep his fingers out of shit? No way. And when he's gone, it's going to be The Clique running the show. With everyone trying to do Shawn Michael style epic bullshit matches. So I hope you like Adam Cole, Johnny Gargano & Seth Rollins, because that's what you're getting for the next decade plus.

5 hours ago, C.S. said:

Comeback of the year for Prichard though. From being a TNA stooge and Conrad's insurance lackey (or whatever Conrad sells) to a successful podcast and a top position in WWE - gotta give it to the Prich!

Yeah, I was thinking about that. Remember when he seemed to give no shit and was doing crazy impersonations on a podcast three/four years ago ? 

The fact he is back at a top position in WWE in 2020, while the product has been totally sinking for years, also illustrates quite well the complete debacle WWE has been and the fact nothing will ever change.

Also, when you look at every guy who has a podcast with Conrad, can we have a good laugh at Bischoff ? I mean... 

6 hours ago, El-P said:

Also, when you look at every guy who has a podcast with Conrad, can we have a good laugh at Bischoff ? I mean... 

People can laugh at Bischoff for getting hired and fired in record time, but I'd like to think that him getting the hell out of there so quickly is only going to benefit his mental and physical health in the long run. 

16 minutes ago, C.S. said:

People can laugh at Bischoff for getting hired and fired in record time, but I'd like to think that him getting the hell out of there so quickly is only going to benefit his mental and physical health in the long run. 

Conrad Thompson introduced a Patreon service you can subscribe to, where you can get all five of his podcasts as soon as they're recorded (weeks before they're released, in some cases...I have already heard the next month's worth of Grilling JR) and best of all, without any ad reads at all.  (No Blue Chew ads!) You also get bonus content from all five podcasts on a weekly basis, watch-alongs, stuff like that. JR has watched some old Mid South, and Arn has done "deep dives" on a couple of his old matches.  It's really good stuff.

One of the first "bonus" episodes they released was an hour long interview Conrad did with Eric Bischoff where he discussed the circumstances surrounding his hiring and subsequent firing from WWE this year.  There is a lot that Eric Bischoff is not at liberty to discuss about his time with WWE due to his non-disclosure agreement, but even from hearing the stuff he was able to talk about it...it provided a very revealing look into what is going on behind the scenes right now in WWE, and how things work there.  Interesting insight into what it's like working for Vince McMahon.  It was a fascinating listen and I was pretty shocked at some of the personal information Eric Bischoff revealed about himself.

Trust me @C.S., you're pretty much right.  If what Bischoff claimed is true (and I believe it was, based on the fact that a lot of other people have corroborated stories like his over the years, including Bruce Prichard) there is no way a normal, well adjusted human being who wants to have a family and any kind of personal life can ever work for Vince McMahon, I don't think. Jim Cornette talked about the same thing on his podcast when Prichard went back to work for WWE last year.  People can rag on Cornette all they want, but he was right there next to Bruce in Vince McMahon's inner circle for quite a while, and he knows what that entails.  If people like Bischoff and Cornette are to be believed, Bruce Pritchard is basically at Vince McMahon's beck and call, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  He just uprooted his family from his home in Houston, and moved to Connecticut to be closer to WWE (something Bischoff refused to do.)  Prichard is 57 years old, has had multiple heart attacks, and is now basically subject to the whim of Vince McMahon...and he just got his workload doubled. I would not be one little bit surprised to read that Bruce Prichard dropped dead from a heart attack any day now.  Obviously I don't want to see that happen, and I hope it doesn't...but there is something a little warped about the relationship between Bruce Prichard and Vince McMahon.

Even Conrad Thompson has publicly expressed concerns about Bruce Prichard's health and well-being working for Vince McMahon.  It's almost like Prichard has some weird subservient need to please Vince McMahon.  Jim Cornette put it best, when he said Bruce Prichard's biggest job has always been to give Vince McMahon what he wants, when he wants it...even when Vince doesn't even know what it is he wants.  And then his second job is to explain that to other people. It's no shock to me that neither Eric Bischoff or Paul Heyman could make it in Vince's inner circle. Bischoff wasn't willing to be subject to Vince's whims (or schedule) and Heyman has a naturally abrasive personality and argues with Vince all the time. (The "My Name Is Paul Heyman" documentary provides a lot of insight into their relationship.)

If I had to pick between Bischoff's life and Prichard's life?  I'd take Bischoff any day of the week.

It would be really funny if HHH, for so long the ultimate hardcore heel for marrying his way to power, ultimately is turned face by the same sect of fans cuz they can only imagine how gruelling and soul-sucking being Vince's son-in-law and heir apparent must be. 

1 hour ago, El-P said:

Maybe. Dunno. Don't care.

Still, the fact remains that :

Brucie : top creative in WWE. JR : legend announcer in AEW. Schiavone : most lovable announcer in the biz today in AEW. Arn : agent and talent in AEW. Bischoff : lol.  

Because Bischoff has never been a "babyface" in the eyes of the fans. All the others have been.

Even Brucie has his dedicated followers because of the podcast.

49 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

there is no way a normal, well adjusted human being who wants to have a family and any kind of personal life can ever work for Vince McMahon 

Prichard is 57 years old, has had multiple heart attacks, and is now basically subject to the whim of Vince McMahon...and he just got his workload doubled. I would not be one little bit surprised to read that Bruce Prichard dropped dead from a heart attack any day now.  Obviously I don't want to see that happen, and I hope it doesn't...but there is something a little warped about the relationship between Bruce Prichard and Vince McMahon.

Even Conrad Thompson has publicly expressed concerns about Bruce Prichard's health and well-being working for Vince McMahon.  It's almost like Prichard has some weird subservient need to please Vince McMahon.  Jim Cornette put it best, when he said Bruce Prichard's biggest job has always been to give Vince McMahon what he wants, when he wants it...even when Vince doesn't even know what it is he wants.  And then his second job is to explain that to other people.  

If I had to pick between Bischoff's life and Prichard's life?  I'd take Bischoff any day of the week.

This sounds like a living hell.

But if you're a single guy who does a lot of drugs, doesn't want a family, wants steady employment and a "purpose" - all things that are or at least were probably true about Bruce - I can sort of see the attraction.

15 minutes ago, gordi said:

Quick poll: which pro wrestling match do you think is likely to be better, DB vs AJ for the IC on tonight's SDL or the upcoming Greatest Pro Wrestling Match of All Time at Backlash?

Edge vs. Orton - like DUH!

5 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Because Bischoff has never been a "babyface" in the eyes of the fans. All the others have been.

Even Brucie has his dedicated followers because of the podcast.

I dunno, possible. But old WCW fans always have loved Bischoff as a performer, he was part of (and partly responsible for) the biggest years of WCW. Brucie's rep was always one of a yes-man. So yeah, I guess there was some goodwill feelings dating back to Brother Love, but honestly before the podcast, no one ever thought of Prichard as anything but a yes-man for Vince and a complete bullshiter (that one should not have changed with the podcast, but people bought the whole "Fuck Meltzer" gimmick). Despite the miserable end of WCW, I do think Bischoff had a much higher standard than Prichard, if only as a performer/character (including in WWE). Conrad Thompson turned Brucie babyface, really.

I imagine, with it being taped, every single second of Edge/Orton will have been pored over and edited to the point where it probably will be pretty good. Meltzer said it went 30-35 but neither man has 35 minutes worth of stuff to fill a match so I’m guessing it’ll clock in at 20-25 in the end.

But I bet Styles/Bryan is better.

Prichard has been fired by Vince multiple times in the past, so there's no reason to think it won't happen again when things go south. And as has been noted, the reward for keeping his job is constantly being at the beck and call of a micromanaging workaholic. When it comes to working for Vince, the only winning move is not to play.

At this point I'm wondering what Kevin Dunn has on Vince to be the only person to get in the inner circle of WWE to not get fired by Vince at some point.  

Also whatever you think of Bruce, being in charge of 5+ hours of TV a week is not going to be ideal for anyone, and I agree with @The Thread Killer that this is not going to be healthy for someone Bruce's age/medical history.

The issue is that Vince expects everyone around him to be a raging workaholic devoting their lives to WWE 24 hours a day.  No one is going to be able to keep up that pace for any length of time without either burning out or quickly giving up on trying to come up with any creative ideas. 

1 hour ago, Stiva said:

I imagine, with it being taped, every single second of Edge/Orton will have been pored over and edited to the point where it probably will be pretty good. Meltzer said it went 30-35 but neither man has 35 minutes worth of stuff to fill a match so I’m guessing it’ll clock in at 20-25 in the end.

But I bet Styles/Bryan is better.

If it turns out to be 35 mins edited down to 20 or so, that could actually be kind of fascinating because it would give us some insight into what Vince considers "Great."

It's amazing how HHH's years of political manoeuvring has essentially been halted by Vince reaching for the comfort blanket of Prichard. Meanwhile, they signed up so many people from the independent scenes in America and Britain to sit around and do nothing while the dictator sits in the bunker and relives the glory days in his head.

5 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:
They did this exact angle 14 years ago with Shawn Michaels and Vince McMahon. They even reused the "better to be pissed off than pissed on" line. The writing staff must be really burned out if they have to recycle scatological humor.

Not that I'm defending this tired shit, but didn't Jim Cornette or some other old-timer once say that that wrestling storylines become fresh again after seven or ten years? Something like that.