Pro Wrestling Only

CHARLOTTE TV 06/08 - 06/14 CHARLOTTE. MUST. POSE

KawadaSmile

3 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Not that I'm defending this tired shit, but didn't Jim Cornette or some other old-timer once say that that wrestling storylines become fresh again after seven or ten years? Something like that.

Yeah it was Cornette's rule that something was fair game to copy after 7 years, but to be far that was in an era where there was just one company for 20+ years. 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm just in a mood, or maybe it's the lengthy and excessive commercial breaks completely killing the momentum, but this match isn't doing it for me the way I expected it to.

AJ in general hasn't done much for me for a while now.

11 hours ago, C.S. said:

Bayley is the shits. After all this time, it's still like she's cosplaying as a heel.

I've enjoyed her tremendously in the role.  Never imagined she'd be such a natural heel but between her antics and the way she carries herself to her mic work she's made herself the absolute alpha heel in the Sasha partnership for the eventual split.  One of the few bright spots of empty arena WWE.

Yeah Bayley has gotten way better since Sasha returned. I was down on her heel run before that but her screwing with Cole and the empty arena era has helped a lot.

AJ/Bryan was amazing. Just another notch in Bryan's belt as the GOAT. I knew he had it in him but AJ finally showed he's still really great after a few meh years.

10 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Man for a dude who was laughing his ass off when Kid Rock said he felt like bodyslamming a democrat, he sure didn't want none (allegedly)

If true, it probably would be worse for him on Smackdown. I bet he enjoyed the New Day taking a knee last night. Also he was also reportedly upset over Gallows and Anderson getting released as well. 

Maybe, but if he couldn't handle the Raw roster busting his balls (allegedly), I would think the SD roster would be even less receptive of his beliefs since it's generally a younger and more diverse group.

I mean, I'm a gamer and I would like to think video games are one thing that can bring people together so hopefully it works out better for him.

6 hours ago, Tim Evans said:

AJ/Bryan was amazing. Just another notch in Bryan's belt as the GOAT. I knew he had it in him but AJ finally showed he's still really great after a few meh years.

Might have to re-watch it on Hulu without commercials. The constant commercial breaks really killed it for me. 

29 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Man for a dude who was laughing his ass off when Kid Rock said he felt like bodyslamming a democrat, he sure didn't want none (allegedly)

As stupid as AJ (allegedly) is, Kurt Angle also laughed his ass off at that Kid Rock nonsense. 

17 minutes ago, sek69 said:

If true, it probably would be worse for him on Smackdown. I bet he enjoyed the New Day taking a knee last night. Also he was also reportedly upset over Gallows and Anderson getting released as well. 

Gallows and Anderson being released proved that AJ isn't the big deal in the eyes of the office that all of his fans thought he was.

Case-in-point: Drew Gulak gets released/his contract expires, and he's back within weeks, presumably for more money. Bryan > AJ in the eyes of the office (and in every other metric too, let's face it).

I could easily see AJ walking away when his contract expires

I had the advantage of being able to ff through the commercial breaks. Absolutely loved the match. Bryan has been having solid-to-great matches every week since the pandemic began, at a time when no one else in WWE was able to figure out how to have good matches without a crowd. He's a wrestling genius imo. 

27 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Maybe, but if he couldn't handle the Raw roster busting his balls (allegedly), I would think the SD roster would be even less receptive of his beliefs since it's generally a younger and more diverse group.

The SD roster, despiste being more open about their political leanings (New Day, Sami Zayn, Daniel Bryan), are much nicer.

Randy Orton, who feuded with AJ not long ago, would be such a pain in the ass to deal with. 

1 hour ago, KawadaSmile said:

The SD roster, despiste being more open about their political leanings (New Day, Sami Zayn, Daniel Bryan), are much nicer.

Randy Orton, who feuded with AJ not long ago, would be such a pain in the ass to deal with. 

Randy Orton probably is a pain in the ass to deal with, but he's also obviously much smarter than AJ Styles in every conceivable way

Smarter about science (he's not an idiotic flat-earther and actively mocks AJ for being one). Smarter about social issues (he's come around on Black Lives Matter). Smarter as a wrestler (his style does nothing for me, but he's had relatively few injuries). Smarter politically (Orton will end up retiring as a much bigger star with far more titles and a much bigger bank account than AJ). 

So, yeah, while I'd rather watch an AJ Styles match (and even that desire is diminishing exponentially because AJ has been a mixed bag at best in WWE), I kinda think Randy has earned his asshole card on this one. 

28 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Smarter lazier as a wrestler (his style does nothing for me, but he's had relatively few injuries)

Not to mention much less talented. Whatever his beliefs are, AJ Styles is one of the greatest and hardest workers ever (I did not watch all those TNA years for naught).

28 minutes ago, C.S. said:

(Orton will end up retiring as a much bigger star with far more titles and a much bigger bank account than AJ). 

That's easy as shit when you get picked up by WWE because of who your daddy is and get pushed from the get go and for the next 20 years, as opposed to working indies (ROH) and minor leagues (TNA) for most of your career because you're deemed "too small" for the "big leagues" (that's until NJPW finally picks you up). Orton may be the biggest silver spoon fed wrestler ever (especially considering his work ethic).

I guess the whole flat-earther thing goes with the territory of being a religious zealot... which AJ Styles is. Which is a bummer, but like it's been said before, if you're looking at pro-wrestlers for intelligent views on the world, well...

30 minutes ago, El-P said:

I guess the whole flat-earther thing goes with the territory of being a religious zealot... which AJ Styles is. Which is a bummer, but like it's been said before, if you're looking at pro-wrestlers for intelligent views on the world, well...

Most super religious folks are more of the "Earth is no more than 5-6,000 years old" type than flat earthers, at least in my experience. I'm sure there's some overlap but IMO most flat earthers I've come across were frankly not very intelligent rather than religious. 

As much as I personally think Randy Orton is boring AF to watch and probably a garbage person IRL, he's pretty much the standard WWE wants all their guys to be. When JBL would say "if you build a sports-entertainer from the ground up, you'd get Randy Orton", he wasn't lying since that's what WWE did. 

It's interesting to hear wrestlers who have worked Orton talk about him. What comes to mind is a talk between Rollins and Christian (I think), where Rollins talks about convincing Orton to try the WM finish (the curb stomp attempt into an RKO) and Christian seemed to completely get it. Orton's apparently really conservative about trying anything out of the norm relative to other wrestlers. But he's also a guy who gets praised heavily by everyone that wrestles him too. I think it's more that he's safe/easy to work with ("like a night off") than anything else, mind you.