Pro Wrestling Only

Congress requests WWE drug testing records

Bix

According to Meltzer, other congressional committees are jumping on board:

--A second Congressional panel, this time the House Commerce, Trade and Consumer Protection Subcommittee has sent a letter asking WWE for all information about its steroid testing, and said it was also considering holding hears later this year on the subject of pro wrestling and performance enhancing drugs.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so far so good. Now subpeona TNA too.

..and here's where TNA will pay for hiring Pacman Jones: It will give them just enough media coverage to draw attention to their existence. The committees in question will probably drop some sort of subpeona on them because of it. Without Pacman getting even miniscule headlines, they wouldn't even get noticed in all of this.

I haven't said my piece on this subject yet, so here goes: On one hand, I agree with Al in that a Congressional investigation will lead to nothing substantial, just based on history alone. On the other hand, unlike baseball, wrestlers are dropping like flies as a result of steroid abuse (or other cases) so there's a stronger chance already that something worthwhile will come out of this.

If something beneficial does happen, it's sad that we waited long enough for a 7 year old to be smothered before research was done.

Guest KCook

It was pretty funny turning on Raw to see what was going on and seeing Vince cut a promo on Congress after reading Meltzer going on and on in the Observer about how cooperative and conciliatory he thinks Vince will be. He's been polishing Vince's balls over the 90s steroid testing over the last couple of weeks. Meltzer's also not even bothering to hide the fact that guys like Regal and Austin are talking to him, is more openly plugged into the writing staff than he's ever been, and is passing on exclusive stuff tagged as "the official word" from the company. Pretty funny that the company seems to open up to Meltzer in direct proportion to how negative mainstream coverage is. I wouldn't be surprised if he's been talking to Vince or at least if they aren't passing stuff to one another through an intermediary.

I don't know if I'd consider it ball-polishing, he's basically stated that the early 90s was as steroid free as the WWF could possibly get and Vince sees a direct connection between that and the company losing money. Not to mention how they stopped testing completely as a direct result of WCW.

I await the 11 page essay about how evil Vince and the WWE is and how they should all go to hell.

Evil, nah. Possibly a bit reckless and dumb, yeah, but I doubt any senators watch WWE programming, so they should be OK. Me, I'm looking forward to the ensuing train wreck that seems inevitable.

Oh and Kevin, I must say WWE management deserves a ton of credit for still being able to work Meltzer after all these years. I get the feeling Meltzer may have been genuinely surprised by last night's performance.

I await the 11 page essay about how evil Vince and the WWE is and how they should all go to hell.

I won't be writing anything like that. It's not really worth getting worked up over. I just thought last night's RAW was just a really bad show that didn't have much going for it. No big deal, I'll go back to watching stuff I actually enjoy.

I'll just say that I hope the day will come soon where wrestling can go back to just being wrestling without double murder suicides and Congressional hearings and drug overdoses. Based on the heat Vince's rants got compared to the heat of the near sneak attack from Orton on Cena, most fans seem to feel the same way at this point.

Vince is Vince, and I love him for the fact that his Vinceness never wavers.

I thought he wasn't VINCE enough. If he would've come back and immediately had his super-swagger in full force and going over the top with everything as only he can it would've been awesome. He was less of a cartoon character than he has been this year and that hurt it in my eyes.

I won't be writing anything like that. It's not really worth getting worked up over. I just thought last night's RAW was just a really bad show that didn't have much going for it. No big deal, I'll go back to watching stuff I actually enjoy.

I'll just say that I hope the day will come soon where wrestling can go back to just being wrestling without double murder suicides and Congressional hearings and drug overdoses. Based on the heat Vince's rants got compared to the heat of the near sneak attack from Orton on Cena, most fans seem to feel the same way at this point.

Wait you thought the show was bad?

The battle royal was very good, Cody Rhodes continued to look solid, Lawler/Booker was solid, Cena v. Umaga was very good, and the dating game stuff while cheesy, gave us some hilarious lines ("I'm in a great deal of pain" "are you mildly retarded"). Even if you hated the Vince stuff, hard to see how this was a bad show.

I hated the Vince stuff, but mainly because I thought Vince's delivery sucked and the storyline just doesn't do anything for me. It left a sour taste when they're doing the big cliffhanger on stuff like that instead of Orton/Cena Summerslam build. I've liked Vince in 2007, but he was pretty bad last night.

Last week's real rating is believed to be between a 2.8 and a 3.1 rating, so it was a very significant rebound. That said, a 3.8 rating for such a major episode of Raw would have been deemed a bit disappointing a few months ago, so WWE shouldn't rest on their laurels too much, particularly as the novelty of seeing Vince and Hunter again will have been worn thin by September.