Best worker of the last 20 years

joeg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, C.S. said:

Daniel Bryan by a mile.

AJ's WWE run has been good but overrated and filled with more misses than hits. Plus, he's a flat-earther.

Yeah before I even clicked on this thread, I thought "well, it has to be Daniel Bryan with maybe AJ Styles a distant second" and that seems to be the general consensus here too.  I love AJ but I used to think he was capable of having a good match with anybody, until his interminable series with Kevin Owens that seemed to be endless and produced exactly zero good matches.  Since then, I've found Styles to be hit and miss.  With Bryan, I find he can usually get a good match out of pretty much anybody.  I can't honestly think of a match or angle he's been involved in that I thought was a total misfire, and several have actually over-delivered. Hell, he carried Big Cass to a watchable match for gawd's sake.  If that's not a major accomplishment, I don't know what is.

I don't hold anybody's personal beliefs or behavior against them when judging them purely as a worker, provided they haven't committed a felony, so AJ gets a pass from me for his beliefs.  If social media has taught us anything, it's that (much as suspected) 99% of Pro Wrestlers are either mindless corporate sycophants, or idiots. 

Or in many cases...both.

26 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

If social media has taught us anything, it's that (much as suspected) 99% of Pro Wrestlers are either mindless corporate sycophants, or idiots. 

You're right about that. Expecting a pro wrestler to be anything other than an overgrown man-child with very simplistic and/or backward views of the world is probably asking too much. Only wrestlers who have gotten outside the bubble - like Foley, Rock, and Batista - have evolved past that. 

13 hours ago, El Dragon said:

Another name I'd give a shout to being a super Darkhorse, though obviously not a winner in this contest, is Eddie Kingston, who has remained one of the few guys I will seek out there work for almost 15 years now.

I was just about to chime in with Kingston as a personal pick. I can't think of a time where he hasn't brought something great to a match and he's one of the most underrated sellers (not bumper) of all time.

3 hours ago, Stiva said:

I was just about to chime in with Kingston as a personal pick. I can't think of a time where he hasn't brought something great to a match and he's one of the most underrated sellers (not bumper) of all time.

We have an Eddie Kingston Complete and Accurate over at Segunda Caida, if folks are looking for Eddie recs.

https://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2018/09/complete-and-accurate-eddie-kingston.html

2 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

I thought the Summerslam match was a huge disappointment with a largely dead crowd. Certainly not as good as the match the two had in 2010 at Night of Champions. And then Brie and Maryse got involved and things went completely off the rails. 

I loved the SummerSlam match. Easily the best match on the card. Nothing else came close.

People just didn't like it because it was a smartly worked wrestling match with both wrestlers expertly telling an in-ring story through their bodies and bumps - not a flashy "movez" fest.

If nothing else, it's clear that Bryan is probably the greatest "make chicken salad out of chicken shit" worker of the last 20 years and maybe of all time.  The amount of times he's been given a lump to work with and ended up having a decent-to-great match with them is mind boggling.  Just like everyone in New Japan has  their best match with Okada,  everyone in WWE's best match is usually vs Bryan.

10 minutes ago, C.S. said:

I loved the SummerSlam match. Easily the best match on the card. Nothing else came close.

People just didn't like it because it was a smartly worked wrestling match with both wrestlers expertly telling an in-ring story through their bodies and bumps - not a flashy "movez" fest.

Too bad Mauro wasn't on commentary to help fans appreciate the match's brilliance.

3 hours ago, El Dragon said:

Are we really judging quality by what a modern crowd thinks of a match on if it’s bad now? Cause I’d rather self lobotomize with a hatchet then watch an Adam Cole epic and people love those.

Like it or not, the job is to get over with the audience who pay to watch the show, not with PWO. I think Adam Cole is the shits as well, to be clear. But the fact that Bryan was turned so quickly after his mega return is a clear sign that that run was a failure.

Anyway, my answer to the question is Danielson or Tanahashi like everybody else. Danielson probably had the better 00s and Tana the better 10s but both have enough of a resume in both decades to make them better contenders than Okada and Omega. Some other outside candidates are Cena, AJ Styles, maybe some of the late 00s indy guys who have gone to WWE like Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens and I also think Kota Ibushi, who has been around for longer than people sometimes remember and had his first great match in like 2006 iirc.

22 minutes ago, FMKK said:

Like it or not, the job is to get over with the audience who pay to watch the show, not with PWO. I think Adam Cole is the shits as well, to be clear. But the fact that Bryan was turned so quickly after his mega return is a clear sign that that run was a failure.

Anyway, my answer to the question is Danielson or Tanahashi like everybody else. Danielson probably had the better 00s and Tana the better 10s but both have enough of a resume in both decades to make them better contenders than Okada and Omega. Some other outside candidates are Cena, AJ Styles, maybe some of the late 00s indy guys who have gone to WWE like Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens and I also think Kota Ibushi, who has been around for longer than people sometimes remember and had his first great match in like 2006 iirc.

Or it's a sign he asked to turn heel repeatedly, which he did. He's stated as such. He was still popular, he just wanted to turn heel.