Pro Wrestling Only

#SpeakingOut: Industry-wide sexual misconduct (assault/harrassment/grooming/etc) accusations and their repercussions

KawadaSmile

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The apologies ... my God. Bullshit apologies really bother me on a personal level because I see apologies as a sacred part of human interaction. We all fuck up to varying degrees, and a heartfelt apology is an important part of healing and repairing damage. If you really aren't sorry about something, it's probably best to not say you are. The sincerity (or lack thereof) of an apology is almost always self evident. We've seen a good amount of bad attempts at PR and careerism, but from what I can tell, no real apologies yet. That's not even a criticism confined to this story. Corporations and celebrities have made a mockery of the apology process by pretty much turning it into a formula that almost seems like a robotic parody of hu-MONS -- you issue a statement, then you do photo-ops with charity, then lay low and hope it all blows over.

A few months ago I watched some 1993 ECW and Angel caught my eye. Read up on her backstory, she alleged quite a bit of abuse a year or two ago. She really got a raw deal for it all. In naming so many names I’m not certain she’s 100% accurate, but everything she said is entirely plausible.

About apologies, sorry to have to say that but there's no way to gauge who is sincere and who is not. I always thought public contrition was a completely ridiculous thing anyway. Then again, maybe I'm from a different culture. People who have fucked up and sincerely regret what they have done should apologize to the people whom they have hurt in private, because this is a private matter. I know I may sound like the bad guy here but... first there's the Twitter trials, then we're also gonna judge which apology sounds sincere and which doesn't ? We're gonna judge a whole lot of things we don't know shit about, really. I would love to have the power of reading minds through a post on Twitter too. (not to say I don't find some of those reeking of fake sincerity, but that's not the point I'm making)

What is important today is that the victims aren't afraid to speak up, that their stories are heard and taken seriously, that charges are gonna be filed whenever it's possible and that criminals are punished by the justice system, that companies takes their responsibility when evidence of abuse is there (and that dealing with those people for real, not for PR) and most of all that mentalities evolve so that this kind of shit happens less and less.

Totally agree with that. That's the secular equivalent of all those assholes getting "born-again". I've said before the whole "mental health issue" was thrown at any occasion now, and this is another. From all accounts, guys like Jimmy Havoc most likely have some. But there are also people who are just douchebags and assholes period.

BTW, Madusa about some "old-school ribs". With Missy chiming in (with that "born-again" stuff rearing up its ugly head again too). And they are totally right. This was part of the culture and for years we've heard these stories in shoot-interviews, back in the days of the good ole days when boys would be boys... The women from back then would have a whole lot to say about "the culture".

So basically the guy made a stupid tweet (maybe in good faith) defending the dickhead friend in question. He denies blacklisting the girl.

That's exactly why the whole "list" stuff was stupid (and it's really responsible people seriously working on this have distanced themselves from it). All cases are differents and you can't put Ospreay's name even close to, say, David Starr of Matt Riddle if both those cases are confirmed (and really, looking from there, they don't look good).

What I got from Ospreay is that the accusations against him were of blackballing Pollyanna, because she spoke against a friend of Will's, who is accused of being a rapist. 

And, while he denies ever blacklisting anyone, a promotion came forward and said that yes, Will Ospreay did cause her to not get booked.

And the thing is, while Ospreay is not the worst one in this story (the honour going to his friend), the reason he's on this list is not a minor one. 

Where does that say "Will Ospreay asked us to not book you" ? I'm sorry but this is exactly why these matters are complex and why posting stuff on Twitter don't fly in term of being able to judge things. Like I said I'd love to have the supernatural powers people seem to have on social media. They sure know tons of shit I don't. 

And before anyone says something really stupid, I don't care one way or another about any of those guys. Hopefully all the criminals will have to face their actions in court and all the wrongdoers of many kind will face repercussions, and hopefully if there are few names who have been thrown under the bus for no reasons they'll be cleared.

53 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

What I got from Ospreay is that the accusations against him were of blackballing Pollyanna, because she spoke against a friend of Will's, who is accused of being a rapist. 

And, while he denies ever blacklisting anyone, a promotion came forward and said that yes, Will Ospreay did cause her to not get booked.

And the thing is, while Ospreay is not the worst one in this story (the honour going to his friend), the reason he's on this list is not a minor one. 

I'm trying to understand the Will Ospreay situation here....was Will Ospreay having such influence for a small promotion to lose their venue because they wanted to book someone that Will & Bea Priestley eventually blackballed? I mean...how shallow is that?

1 minute ago, SirEdger said:

I'm trying to understand the Will Ospreay situation here....was Will Ospreay having such influence for a small promotion to lose their venue because they wanted to book someone that Will & Bea Priestley eventually blackballed? I mean...how shallow is that?

From what I understand, the venue was where Will first started training, and thus knew the owners. When he says that he "never got in touch with any promoter", that might be true. For people running venues, on the other hand...

This is all making me feel like shit as a life long fan. Not just because it's a fucking heinous, terrible tragedy but because I selfishly am feeling somewhat vindicated in my dislike in some of the names that have come out. How fucked up am I in the head if that's where my thoughts go to? I think a dude sucks as a pro-wrestler, they get outed as a predator & I'm like "yup." Awful line of thinking on my part. I'm questioning my fandom.

The fact that people are still going through this is crazy. That's not even mentioning how many people are staying silent. Or whom died without their secrets ever coming to light.

I certainly won't lose any sleep over guys like David Starr, Joey Ryan & Jimmy Havoc leaving the world of professional wrestling. But it's not worth all the trauma that these women have had to go through. I keep thinking about how Kylie Rae is always able to put on that smile for the camera and it just makes my blood boil thinking about the shit they've had to endure when there wasn't a camera, or a lot of them times when they were freaking children.

Dude, Coffey, brutha, the fact that you recognize that is an awful line of thinking means you are a good person. All of our minds go to dark places, but the fact you go there and you know it is wrong, is huge. Dont beat yourself up over it. 

I will share a selfish thought of mine and maybe you won't feel so bad, though it is the opposite of you. I was watching AJ Styles vs Matt Riddle from Friday Night. Excellent fucking match. Mid-way through I had the thought "Why the fuck did you have to do it, Riddle, you robbed me of so much great wrestling." I realized my selfishness and put myself in Candy Cartwright's position. The idea of having a man who is trained in Mixed Martial Arts, lethal has his hand around my throat forcing me to give him head. I snapped right out of it. I realized my initial thought was very selfish. Candy Cartwright deserves justice & peace and respect & dignity. Matt Riddle did not afford that to her. He took away her free will away. When you take away someone's free will you take away their humanity and you make them a slave. It is a reprehensible act of dehumanization. Am I ashamed of myself for putting my wrestling entertainment needs over someone else's liberty & dignity for even a fraction of a second, hell yeah I am! The point is we are all human and when we let our minds wander they can go to dark or selfish places. Part of being mature is recorrecting your course. 

I hope this helps Coffey, I think you are a great poster and I would hate to see yourself punish or torment yourself. You can be an advocate for change and women's rights. Have a great day, brutha! :)

22 minutes ago, Coffey said:

This is all making me feel like shit as a life long fan. Not just because it's a fucking heinous, terrible tragedy but because I selfishly am feeling somewhat vindicated in my dislike in some of the names that have come out. How fucked up am I in the head if that's where my thoughts go to? I think a dude sucks as a pro-wrestler, they get outed as a predator & I'm like "yup." Awful line of thinking on my part. I'm questioning my fandom.

That's basic human behaviour. Being self-conscious about it proves that you're aware of the faulty way the human mind functions. We're all fucked up by cognitive bias of all sorts. This is one. We would all prefer that all the criminals here would be people we already "don't like", even if for totally different reasons, because it reassures us that the world, and life, is fair. Plus it's always more comfortable to be "right". And it's very uncomfortable to feel like we've been tricked or have genuinely loved someone who did such awful things (not to mention cases of denial after the fact). So yeah. On a much smaller scale, it gives us like stuff like how Seth Rollins bashing Cornette after he insulted his wife could only be some unsincere bullshit because after all, the guy doesn't sell the knee when he does falcon arrows as a transitional move... But of course it makes no sense. And life isn't fair. And it's ok to be wrong. 

Basically it's better to be more removed. Honestly and speaking for me only, I think after the Benoit stuff I was done with being disappointed (weak word in that case of course, horrified was more like it). Always expect the worse and be happy when it doesn't happen. I guess I'm "blasé". They can out anyone, I'm ok with it as long as it makes the scene better, I won't regret anyone. Although I must admit, my enthousiasm about the current stuff is WAY down, I won't lie. (although maybe it shouldn't because at least now things can happen, hopefully)

22 minutes ago, Coffey said:

I keep thinking about how Kylie Rae is always able to put on that smile for the camera and it just makes my blood boil thinking about the shit they've had to endure when there wasn't a camera, or a lot of them times when they were freaking children.

Yep. Speaking of Kylie, I wonder what happens next on IMPACT considering several names working there have been mentioned. 

Is that an official NWA account or just a fan page? Either way, Corgan and the NWA should immediately vilify that post. (They won't, which is half the problem in wrestling right there, but they should.)

The NWA letting people "resign" (Cornette, Lagana) instead of firing them outright is some real candy ass cowardly bullshit. 

Edit: Not sure if the NWALegends account was like this before - I don't follow it - but the profile is locked down now.

These Tweets are protected
Only approved followers can see @NWALegends’s Tweets. To request access, click Follow.