Pro Wrestling Only
Den Scorpio

World Wrestling Federation (2.0)

The Samoans can only slip away from the Bees so many times.

The new I-C champ is on a roll!

Huge win for Piper over Kevin, even if it's by c.o.

Kerry makes it a even night of the Von Erich boys with a win over BB.

Love Schultz being hounded by "Bruno" chants.

Martel & Muraco boil over.

Heenan sicks the dogs on Hogan & Orndorf but it's not enough.

Okay... the time is now!  Call Vince tell him you want a job!  That SME was perfect.  I could hear everyone saying every word as I read it.  I thought the show was very authentic for the time with a lot of hype and a lot of execution for each match.  I had guessed the outcome of all of the matches and I think that is because of how well you have developed each angle and we were able to see the direction you wanted to go.  The one match I was not sure of was Sting and the Hammer.  I had a feeling Sting was going over and I thought Valentine would be the guy to give him that.  To me, Valentine always seemed like the true professional.  

Piper/Studd/Amdre was awesome to read.

Thanks for everything you put into this.  It took A LOT OF WORK!!  Awesome show

SNME was insane! I can't get over how realistic this was. Props to all the hard work you out into this. 

Slaughter and Schultz get things going in a hurry. These guys were on the verge of killing each other. Totally didn't see this coming as BRUNO returns!!! What a moment as Bruno unleashes hell on Schultz! All I can say is Bruno and Schultz in a streetfight at WrestleMania is going to be a bloodbath! 

Looks like HTM didn't want to mess with a country boy any longer as he takes the cheap way out. 

Every since Hogan won the title, I wanted Hogan/Saito bad. You not only gave that to me but you delivered 2 epic matches. I think tonight's match topped their Survivor Series match. These two went at it with everything they had. In the end, HulkaMania ran wild and prevailed. But wait, we get more as Heenan and Bundy send Hulk a WrestleMania message. However, I think Hulk sent them a message of his own. Both men are ready for their HUGE showdown. 

Speaking of messages, Andre took it to both Piper and Studd in a wild and chaotic scene. Studd is in big trouble at Mania. I wouldn't be surprised if Andre wants them both in a handicap match. 

Tito and Rude give the fans one action packed edge of the seat IC title match. Tito is in control until that dirty Muraco interferes and costs him the match and title. Rick Rude is the NEW IC champ! Jimmy Hart, Rude, Beefcake and Muraco are riding high but they have some serious enemies coming after them. 

Yea, I would say this is defiantly a coming out moment for Sting. He shines big time on a nationwide platform and gets his big moment. I wonder where Valentine goes from here? 

We get a wild brawl before the tag title match even begins! That leads into an even wilder match. I thought for sure the Von Erich's were taking home the gold but Samoans retain on the double c.o. Von Erich's send the fans home happy by just about decapitating Fuji. I wonder who gets the tag title shot at Mania? 

Incredible job! WrestleMania is going to be off the charts! 

HOUSE SHOW: Friday 5/21 | New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden (22,238; Sell-out)

(Televised on the MSG Network. Gorilla Monsoon & Lord Alfred Hayes on commentary @ ringside.)

Sam Houston/Kendall Windham defeated the Moondogs @ 7:47 with a Windham lariat on Rex. Big pop for Houston/Kendall to open the night.

Kevin Von Erich defeated Dynamite Kid (no Heenan) @ 12:01. High-octane clinic of pure athleticism & fire. Near-falls all over the place & the crowd ate up every bit of it. Dynamite finally missed a Swandive headbutt & Kevin inside-cradled for the 1-2-3. 

Dino Bravo defeated Cousin Luke @ 4:20 with a sidewalk slam.

NEW I-C Champion ‘Ravishing’ Rick Rude (w/Jimmy Hart) defeated Tommy Rogers @ 8:32. Major buzz for Rude wearing the gold. Fast-paced action throughout. Rogers tries a splash from the top & Rude gets the knees up, planting the Rude Awakening a moment later for the 1-2-3.

Paul Orndorff defeated King Kong Bundy (no Heenan) by DQ @ 8:22. Main event-level heat. Great contrast of girth & overpower vs. explosive striking & athleticism. Toward the end, Orndorff is on the middle turnbuckle over a standing Bundy, raining count-to-10 punches on him. Bundy shoves him off the perch, wiping out the ref nearby below. Ref groggily calls for the DQ. Bundy tries to Avalanche Orndorff in the corner, but Orndorff moves! Orndorff tries a piledriver, which frenzies the crowd, but Bundy backdrops him over the top. Orndorff grabs a chair & slides back in, cracking Bundy in the back with it, causing him to fall forward thru the ropes to the floor. Orndorff’s wielding the chair in the ring & Bundy finally staggers to the back, angry. 

[Intermission]

Hillbilly Jim defeated Iron Sheik (w/Fred Blassie) by count-out @ 6:22. ‘USA’ chants abound. Both men brawl on the floor at the end & Sheik slaps on the Camel Clutch. Jim manages to run Sheik back-first to the ring post to break the hold & beat the 10-count.

Rick Martel/Pedro Morales defeated Don Muraco/Brutus Beefcake (w/Jimmy Hart) @ 9:58. High-energy seesaw bout with fluid teamwork on both sides. Martel catches Beefcake with a springboard Blockbuster out of nowhere for the 1-2-3. 

[Howard Finkel announces Saturday night 6/19 @ 8pm as next month’s return date. Matches already signed include: Hillbilly Jim vs. Honky Tonk Man, Iron Sheik vs. Kerry Von Erich, Red Scare vs. Houston/Windham, and a double-main event of I-C Champ Rick Rude vs. former Champ Tito Santana, and David Schultz vs. Sgt Slaughter in a steel cage!] 

Sting defeated Greg Valentine (no Heenan) @ 10:04. Giant MSG pop for Sting. Valentine dominates most of the match until Sting makes a late rally. Valentine tries to KO Sting with a foreign object, but Sting ducks & plants Valentine with a deathdrop for the 1-2-3. Huge pop on the 3-count.

Tag Champions Samu/Fatu (no Fuji) defeated Killer Bees 2-1 in a 2/3 Falls Match @ 14:15. Blair pinned Fatu with a backslide to win Fall 1. Samu pinned Brunzell with a Vader Bomb to win Fall 2. 

Hulk Hogan/Andre the Giant fought Roddy Piper/Big John Studd to a Double DQ @ 11:43. Nuclear heat for this gigantic throwdown. Flashbulb City. Crowd on its feet the whole way. Utter chaos broke out, the moment Hogan & Andre hit the ring. Action ended up a seesaw tag team war with both sides working like well-oiled machines. Toward the end, another Pier 4 brawl breaks out. Studd tosses a chair into the ring & Hogan/Piper tug-o-war to gain control of it. The tussle accidentally clobbers the ref! Piper thumbs Hogan in the eye & gets control of the chair, flattening Hogan over the back repeatedly. Studd gets the advantage on Andre outside & rolls back in for the 2-on-1 on Hogan. King Kong Bundy casually comes down & gets to the apron, eager to get in & pick the Hogan bones. But Paul Orndorff races down, slides into the ring before Bundy could get in & Andre makes it back in at almost the same time. Mexican standoff sends the place into a frenzy! Bundy blows them off & just leaves, leaving Piper & Studd to get out-brawled 3-on-2! Hogan/Andre/Orndorff clean house & clear the ring. Post-match Garden Party like never before to close out the night.

Houston & Windham with a huge win in the opener over former WWF Tag Team Champions The Moondogs!

Heenan's men go 0-3 in his absence.

Shieky baby really shouldn'tve messed with a country boy.

The Hart Coalition breaks even.

The Samoans prove they don't need Fuji to win.

Hogan/Andre vs Piper/Studd! Now that's a MSG main event.

Houston and Kendall fire up the crowd.

I think the family members really needed Heenan tonight. 

Rude is going to have a heat filled IC reign. 

Bundy might not make it to Mania in one piece if he continues to take chair shots like that. 

I always liked a fired up Martel. He shined tonight.

Sting proves his SNME win wasn't a fluke. 

Hogan/Andre vs. Piper/Studd- Good grief, what a main event! I think everybody knew this would end in chaos and it did. I liked Bundy and Orndorff getting involved. Good way to build heat for Mania. 

Wild night at the Garden! 

TV: Superstars of Wrestling - Saturday 5/22

image.jpeg.177d3e23c0dba81768780cffa3ab9dce.jpeg

(Canton, OH @ Civic Center: TAPING #2. Gorilla Monsoon & Jesse Ventura on commentary)

[OPEN] to the customary dramatic WWF logo-in-space opener, with the colored galactic lasers galvanizing the logo to its dazzling golden hue, as the echoing voice bellows “The World Wrestling Federation. The revolutionary force in sports-entertainment”.

[CUT] to the opening credits package, set to “1999” by Prince as the audio underlay, featuring footage of Hulk Hogan walking the MSG hallway, then rapid-fire in-ring action flashes of the roster of stars, Hogan vs. Schultz @ MSG mixed in, and intercutting ecstatic sellout crowd shots, etc. Final dramatic shot of Hogan mid-double-bicep-pose during the emotional title-win celebration at MSG.

[FILTER] into the rocking mid-sized arena! Gorilla Monsoon & Jesse Ventura are standing at the commentary platform. Both hype the next hour of action & excitement as the road to WrestleMania continues!

King Kong Bundy (w/Bobby Heenan) defeated George Allen @ 23 secs. Big-time heat. Bundy demanded, and got, the 5-count. “Hogan” chants rang out throughout, effectively pissing Bundy & Heenan off. Post-match, Bundy made the belt gesture to the crowd on all sides.

[WWF Update: “Jump” by The Pointer Sisters is the audio intro this week. Paul Heyman is in the bustling newsroom. Excited to lead in with the fallout of last weekend’s Saturday Night’s Main Event in DC & how the card for WrestleMania 2 is now taking shape right before our very eyes. Kicks us to highlight footage from last Saturday night, of Hulk Hogan’s post-match celebration after defeating Masa Saito, the unexpected arrival of Bundy & Heenan, and the sparks that flew. Heyman hypes the WrestleMania main event now being official - Hulk Hogan defending the WWF Heavyweight Title vs. #1 contender King Kong Bundy. Heyman hypes this rivalry is likely to be nothing short of unreal. Heyman then hypes that we have a BRAND-NEW I-C Champion in ‘Ravishing’ Rick Rude, who won the Title last Saturday in DC in controversial fashion. He kicks us to the footage of the climactic close of the Santana-Rude battle. Heyman confirms the Front Office has announced this week that Rude WILL be defending his newly-won I-C Title @ WrestleMania vs. a challenger to be named in the coming weeks. He then kicks us to footage from last Saturday night, of the melee that ensued on Victory Circle with Andre the Giant, Big John Studd & Roddy Piper. Heyman then hypes that not only was Andre the Giant vs. Big John Studd sanctioned later that night for WrestleMania by the WWF Front Office, but in the days since, at the behest of Andre himself, this match will now be a Million Dollar Challenge Match, where a man will win $1 million if he scores a pinfall on the other. Paul then kicks us to footage from last Saturday night, featuring the shocking return of Bruno Sammartino & all-out attack on David Schultz. Heyman hypes that the Front Office later sanctioned a Sammartino vs. Schultz Street Fight at WrestleMania

Commercial

[During the commercial break, a market-specific bumper airs on the PHILADELPHIA FEED, hyping TONIGHT Saturday 5/22 as the big return to the Spectrum @ 8 PM. Limited tickets remain. Visual shows the starry moving-through-space motion graphic & Mean Gene’s voice hyping the card, including Rick Martel vs. Don Muraco in a No DQ Match, Sting vs. Greg Valentine/Bobby Heenan in a Handicap Match, Honky Tonk Man vs. Hillbilly Jim, and a double main event of Roddy Piper vs. Andre the Giant and WWF Heavyweight Champ Hulk Hogan vs. new I-C Champ Rick Rude in a return bout.]

Back from commercial...

[Gorilla & Jesse recap the Hulk Hogan defeat of Masa Saito last weekend & the explosive altercation with King Kong Bundy/Bobby Heenan in the post-match. WE then see the promo Hogan cut in the locker room later in the night with Jesse. We then see the official Hogan vs. Bundy Title Match graphic for WrestleMania. Jesse says we’re on the road to Hulkamania being crushed under the weight of King Kong Bundy. Gorilla admits that we can’t rule that out.]

[Lord Alfred Hayes in the locker room with Rick Martel. Gene informs us that Tito Santana, the now FORMER I-C Champ who was scheduled to team this week with his guest at this time, is now out of this week’s main event with a concussion after the events of last Saturday night. Martel is fired up, saying Tito was robbed in front of the world last Saturday in DC at the hands of the man he’s (Martel) also on the hunt for - Don Muraco. Says he gets to get his hands on Muraco & Beefcake, even if it’s without Tito. He’ll have a partner this week to take those guys on - “Just you wait”.]  

Pedro Morales defeated Terry Moran with the spearing headbutt to the gut.

[WWF Event Center for the INDIANAPOLIS MARKET: “You Belong to the City” by Glenn Frey is the audio intro. Mean Gene hypes being almost 3 weeks away from returning to Indy, this time at the great Market Square Arena, Friday 6/11 @ 8pm. Limited tix available @ Ticketmaster outlets everywhere. He hypes that every live event being on the road to WrestleMania is essentially in the eye of the storm. He runs down the 8-match card in Indy, which includes Masa Saito vs. Paul Orndorff, Don Muraco vs. Sting, Tag Champs Samoan Headhunters vs. Putski/Arcidi, Iron Sheik vs. Kevin Von Erich, and main event of David Schultz vs. Sgt Slaughter. Sam Houston comes in & Gene’s happy to see him. Houston talks about his match in Indy vs. Brutus Beefcake. Says Beefcake is a dangerous man, especially now that the Hart Coalition is an official group - strength in numbers. Says he’s gonna bring the fight to Beefcake & try to give the good folks of Indy a thrill by beating 1 of the Hart Coalition members 1-2-3. Gene happily wraps the segment with even hard sell, while Houston smiles for the camera with his arm around Gene. “Harvest for the World” by the Isley Bros. is the audio outro.]

[30-second ad for WWF merchandise, with glamour shots of top WWF stars in some of the gear.]

Commercial

[During the commercial break, an explosive national ad airs hyping WrestleMania 2. Available nationwide on closed-circuit TV - “Check your local listings!”]

Back from commercial…

Paul Orndorff defeated Barry Horowitz with the piledriver. Huge pop for Orndorff. Place hung on every move.

[Gorilla & Jesse recap the shocking return of Bruno Sammartino last Saturday night in DC, when he exacted the mother of all ambushes on David Schultz during the match vs. Slaughter. WE then see the fiery promo Bruno did with Paul Heyman later that night in the hallway. Jesse & Gorilla then hype the Street Fight slated to happen between Bruno & Schultz, as WE see the official WrestleMania graphic for the match. Jesse says The Living Legend may be known as just “The Legend” after WrestleMania. Gorilla says it’s just as likely that Schultz will be needing a doctor more than he’ll ever be known as one.]

Dino Bravo defeated Carlos Emmons @ 51 secs with a sidewalk slam. Post-match, he gets on the mic & tells the crowd this is how a real athlete wins - by force. Unlike American athletes. Major heat from the crowd.

[Mean Gene in a locker room with Don Muraco, Brutus Beefcake & Jimmy Hart. Muraco says Gene still looks a little annoyed that Tito Santana bit the dust last weekend & he’s now at home with a headache. Says he’s REALLY gonna hate this week, if that’s the case. Gene says there’s a such thing as karma. Muraco laughs, saying there’s also a such thing as success & failure - Gene just happens to hitch his wagon to the failures. Beefcake Says Rick Martel didn’t name a partner because he can’t find one willing to take on the Hart Coalition. Hart cackles & says Gene can still come to 1 of Rick Rude’s many Championship Jamborees. All 3 men laugh festively, as Gene kicks us back out to the arena.]

Commercial

Kendall Windham defeated Montana Jay with a lariat. Sharp, explosive, aggressive. Big pop for the debuting Kendall.

[Paul Heyman in the newsroom: Announces that the WWF Front Office has just sent word that the WWF Tag Team Titles WILL be on the line at WrestleMania 2 on 7/3. The Samoan Headhunters will defend against the winners of a 16-man tag team battle royal slated NEXT WEEK on Superstars of Wrestling! The participating teams will include: Fantastics, Red Scare, Putski/Arcidi, Scufflin’ Hillbillies, Killer Bees, The Moondogs, Muraco/Beefcake, and the British Bulldogs!]

[WWF Event Center for the INDIANAPOLIS MARKET: “Sir Duke” by Stevie Wonder is the audio intro. Mean Gene re-hypes being almost 3 weeks away from returning to Indy, this time at the great Market Square Arena, Friday 6/11 @ 8pm. Limited tix available @ Ticketmaster outlets everywhere. He hypes that every live event being on the road to WrestleMania is essentially in the eye of the storm. He runs down the 8-match card in Indy, which includes Masa Saito vs. Paul Orndorff, Don Muraco vs. Sting, Tag Champs Samoan Headhunters vs. Putski/Arcidi, Iron Sheik vs. Kevin Von Erich, and main event of David Schultz vs. Sgt Slaughter. A shirtless Iron Sheik comes into frame in jeans. Says he will come to “In-din-O-polis” to finally break’s Kevin Von Erich. Says the American people there know he is superior to all Von Erich’s & he will break his back & make him humble, exposing him for the phony athlete he is. Says he’ll then go on to do the same thing to that king of phonies, Hulk Hogan & bring the World Title to the great country of “EE-DON, NUMVA WUN”. Gene wraps the segment with an even hard sell, as Sheik continues yammering at the camera & posing, etc. “Another One Bites the Dust” by Queen is the audio outro.]

Commercial

[During the commercial break, a market-specific bumper re-airs on the PHILADELPHIA FEED, hyping TONIGHT Saturday 5/22 as the big return to the Spectrum @ 8 PM. Limited tickets remain. Visual shows the starry moving-through-space motion graphic & Mean Gene’s voice hyping the card, including Rick Martel vs. Don Muraco in a No DQ Match, Sting vs. Greg Valentine/Bobby Heenan in a Handicap Match, Honky Tonk Man vs. Hillbilly Jim, and a double main event of Roddy Piper vs. Andre the Giant and WWF Heavyweight Champ Hulk Hogan vs. new I-C Champ Rick Rude in a return bout.]

Back from commercial…

“We Will Rock You” by Queen hits & Jimmy Hart leads his 2 Coalition members, Muraco & Beefcake, out of the tunnel to a thundering round of boos. Hart is bellowing into his megaphone, as Muraco & Beefcake stride down the aisle behind him with smarmy grins. Muraco’s chest is still taped from the barbell weight shot from the gym altercation weeks ago. They get to ringside, climb into the ring, and cockily taunt the crowd without a care in the world seemingly.

“Let’s Hear It for the Boys” by Deniece Williams hits & the place goes NUTS!! Rick Martel comes out alone to a huge ovation! Muraco & Beefcake laugh as they continue warming up in the ring. Martel hi-fives halfway down the aisle before stopping & motioning to the back. Ivan Putski emerges from the tunnel, to a big ovation! Muraco & Beefcake are no longer all-smiles. An intense Putski meets Martel in the aisle, exchanges a hug, and they march their war down the aisle, ready to get it on!

MAIN EVENT: Rick Martel/Ivan Putski vs. Don Muraco/Brutus Beefcake (w/Jimmy Hart)

Martel hop on the apron, exchange verbal barbs from a distance with Muraco & Beefcake, then quickly hop into the ring & THE BRAWL IS ON! PLACE GOING NUTS! Hart ducks to the outside! Martel’s rocking Muraco’s world! Putski knocking Beefcake around like a pinball! Martel tosses Muraco over the top to the apron & runs him chest-first into the turnbuckles at 50 mph! Muraco falls off the apron to the floor, in monster pain to that already-injured chest! Martel rolls out & continues the onslaught.

In the ring, Putski reverses a whip to the ropes & plants Beefcake with a powerslam! Beefcake’s in monster back pain as he slithers backward, begging off. Putski aggressively leans in to yank him up, Beefcake catches him with a thumb to the eye! Beefcake capitalizes with belly-to-back suplex, knee-drop, fist drop, etc. 

Martel makes it back to the apron in his respective corner & a battered Muraco finally does the same, as Putski fights back & makes this a seesaw battle. Both teams end up tagging in & out frequently. Tons of heat heat both ways!

Later in the match, Muraco’s housing Martel with high-impact offense, almost rag-dolling him now in a complete reversal of earlier in the match. Muraco gets on the middle turnbuckle & falls backward for an elbowdrop… but Martel moves! The impact bounces Muraco over onto his stomach, arm in immense pain! 

Martel makes the tag & Putski gets in like a house of fire, knocking Muraco all over the place. Beefcake gets in & Putski pinballs him as well! Putski grabs both men & bashes their heads together! Putski hits the ropes & comes off for a stereo cloth--- Muraco & Beefcake FLATTEN him with a double high knee!! Martel immediately hops to the top rope & dives…… FLATTENS both men with a stereo cross-body!! Martel then houses each man!

Jimmy Hart hops on the apron & tries to distract Martel! Martel stalks him! Hart tries to toss his megaphone into the ring to either of his fallen soldiers! Beefcake picks up the megaphone, just as Martel grabs Hart by the collar! He’s about to knock his lights out, as Hart squirms in desperation!! Beefcake winds the megaphone behind his head to clock Martel from behind… but a recovered Puski intercepts & snatches the megaphone from behind!! Putski stalks Beefcake now with the megaphone & Beefcake’s begging off!!! Muraco clobbers Putski down from behind & the 2-on-1 beatdown ensues!!

Martel lets go of Hart & evens the odds in the the ring at 2-2!! Martel manages to snatch up the megaphone & POPS Muraco in the back of the neck!!! Muraco went flying over the top to the floor!!! Ref calls for the bell!! Martel’s all fired-up & doesn’t care about the DQ!! Putski clotheslines Beefcake over the top on the other side!! 

Beefcake staggers over & helps the woozy Muraco to his feet, as they rejoin Hart at the aisle!! Martel mounts the middle turnbuckle, raising the megaphone in the air defiantly! Hart’s jumping around in protest, as Beefcake lividly jaws up at Martel! Muraco’s in too much for protest! Putski’s in mid-ring, ready to get it on some more!

“Let’s Hear It for the Boys” hits again & the crowd celebrates. Martel’s jawing down at his foes, knowing this thing is only beginning! Coalition jaws up at Martel & Putski, before angrily heading for the back. Martel gets down off the perch & hugs it out with Putski. They ham it up for the roaring crowd a bit, before leaving the ring & heading up the aisle. Martel still has the megaphone!

Winners: Don Muraco/Brutus Beefcake by DQ @ 8:33

Commercial

Back from commercial…

[Gorilla & Jesse stand at their broadcast position. Action for next week’s show: Sting, David Schultz, George ‘The Animal’ Steele, Big John Studd, Kerry Von Erich. Main Event: Tag Team Battle Royal to determine the #1 contenders for a shot at the Tag Team Titles at WrestleMania! Gorilla & Jesse are hyped for next week, and bid us farewell.]

It's amazing how detailed your commercial segments are. 

WWF has some major live events coming up.

How do you make Andre/Studd even bigger? Offer the winner a million dollars that's how!

Well Martel cost his team the match but I'm sure he'd say it was worth it!

TV: All-Star Wrestling - Saturday 5/22

image.jpeg.c33b0eb02466a6ad48b12f51c2618229.jpeg

(Poughkeepsie, NY @ Mid-Hudson Civic Center: Taping #1. Vince McMahon & Jack Reynolds on commentary.)

[Opening Credits package plays. WE then filter into the building with a lively crowd. Vince & Jack are at the commentary platform.]

Sgt. Slaughter defeated Barry Horowitz with a powerbomb. Huge pop for Slaughter. Leads the Pledge of Allegiance in the post-match.

[Piper’s Pit: Piper says the winds of change are blowing thru the WWF. On 7/3, the biggest event in pro wrestling history happens - mostly because he’ll be on the card. Says it’s also because Big John Studd will turn Andre the Giant into Tattoo from Fantasy Island & make $1 million doing it. Says 7/3 will start a new era, when the most massive athlete in history becomes the WWF Heavyweight Champ, making it the Super Heavyweight Championship when he smashes Hulk Hogan to dust. Brings out King Kong Bundy w/Bobby Heenan, to a MASSIVE round of continuing boos. The heat is palpable. Heenan thanks Piper for the intro, saying he knows the world can’t wait to crown Bundy as the new Heavyweight Champion of the World. Boos go nuclear. Heenan runs down Bundy’s size stats. Says Hulk Hogan is a big, muscle-bound freak with amazing athleticism & would be a World Champion on any planet in the solar system - except the one Bundy is on. Says a man of Bundy’s size, strength, athletic ability & killer instinct is gonna avalanche the skeleton right out of & mop the WrestleMania floor with Hulk Hogan! Bundy says Hogan has no answer for him. Says Hogan promised to bodyslam him @ Mania, which tells us Hogan is hopped up on crazy pills. Says he looked into Hogan’s face & saw fear in Hogan’s eyes. He knew Bundy was a split second away from bustin’ him up & leaving him a pile of broken ribs in the corner. Says he ends careers - go ask Billy Graham. Go ask the 50 guys he beat last month alone. Says WrestleMania is his coronation & Piper’s invited to the party. Piper’s excited & says he’ll bring the ribs. All 3 men laugh & raise each other’s arms to the booing crowd.]

Iron Sheik (w/Fred Blassie) submitted Rudy Nelson with the Camel Clutch. Massive heat for Sheik.

Killer Bees defeated Bruce Duncan/Bob Kuntz with the double dropkick on Kuntz.

Honky Tonk Man defeated Gino Maroni with the Shake, Rattle, Roll.

[Pedro Morales vs. Virgil is announced as next week’s main event. Piper’s Pit: Sam Houston]

MAIN EVENT: Kendall Windham vs. The Missing Link

Link comes through the crowd, wandering like an uncaged predator. Windham comes down to “Call Me the Breeze” by Lynyrd Skynyrd, to a big ovation. Kendall plays the cat-and-mouse with Link, who stalks awkwardly. Kendall strikes with roundhouses when cornered & slithers away.

Kendall goes for another stick-and-move shot & Link catches his arm, biting it like it’s his last meal. Link belly-to-bellies him down & unloads a barrage of awkward shots all over his body, overwhelming him. Link hits the ropes & comes off for an elbowdrop… but Kendall moves! 

Kendall unloads his own barrage now, of cowboy roundhouses, dropkicks, headlock-takedowns, roundhouses in the corner while standing on the middle-turnbuckle, etc. Link shoves him off the perch & Windham crashes back-first to the mat. As he slowly staggers up, Link sprints to the ropes & SPEARS Windham out of his boots for the 1-2-Windham kicks out. 

Windham crawls to the corner, clutching his ribs & having trouble breathing, as Link stalks. Kendall pulls himself up in the corner & Link charges for a spear in the corner… but Windham leapfrogs him & Link barrels shoulder-first thru to the post! The impact bounces Link backward out of the corner, as Windham hits the ropes at top speed & LEVELS Link with a monster running lariat! Hooks the leg for the 1-2-3! 

Windham stands tall & celebrates the win with the happy crowd! A short, hard-hitting, unorthodox affair, but Kendall took care of business in his All Star singles debut! He tips his imaginary cap to the crowd on all sides of the building, before finally rolling out of the ring & heading up the aisle, hi-fiving the tons of arms reaching out for him, as the show goes off the air.

Winner: Kendall Windham via Pinfall @ 3:55

HOUSE SHOW: Saturday 5/22 | Philadelphia, PA @ Spectrum (19,129; Sell-out)

(Televised on the PRISM Network in Philadelphia. Gorilla Monsoon & Lord Alfred Hayes on commentary.)

Dino Bravo defeated Jose Luis Rivera @ 4:33 with a sidewalk slam.

Sting defeated Greg Valentine/Bobby Heenan @ 9:28 in a Handicap Match with a Deathdrop to Heenan.

Honky Tonk Man defeated Hillbilly Jim by count-out @ 6:22. 

‘Magnificent’ Don Muraco (w/Jimmy Hart) defeated Rick Martel @ 12:34 in a No DQ Match. Martel stalked Muraco with Muraco's own brass knuckles, and Muraco jackknifed him in the corner with both feet on the ropes for leverage to score the flash 1-2-3. Martel then chases Muraco & Hart to the back.

Andre the Giant fought Roddy Piper to a Double DQ @ 8:53, when both men ended up sword-fighting with chairs as the ref calls for the DQ. The clash knocks Piper’s chair out of his hands & he’s dead to rights. Piper kicks Andre in the nuts, gets his chair & beats him down with it. Piper hops on the 2nd rope with the chair & dives… Andre hits the boot up to Piper’s face, knocking him backward over the top. Piper staggers to the back, leaving Andre standing tall to a huge Spectrum ovation. 

[Intermission]

Kendall Windham defeated Barry Horowitz @ 7:19 with a slingshot lariat.

King Kong Bundy (no Heenan) defeated Cousin Luke @ 4:49 with a splash. ‘Hogan’ chants throughout.

‘Mr. Wonderful’ Paul Orndorff defeated Brutus Beefcake (w/Jimmy Hart) @ 7:11 with a schoolboy.

[Mel Phillips announces hypes WrestleMania 2 as the next time the WWF comes to town for live action on Saturday 7/3 @ 8pm. Hypes that the event will be shown nationwide on closed-circuit TV & is professional wrestling biggest spectacular ever. Announces the Philadelphia show is sold-out. More matches to be announced & for which city in the coming weeks on local feeds of The Superstars of Wrestling on FOX 29 & All Star Wrestling on WPHL-17.]

Killer Bees defeated Red Scare (w/Fred Blassie) @ 8:46 when Blair rolled up Zhukov for the 1-2-3. Red Scare ambushes the Bees in the post-match.

I-C Champion ‘Ravishing’ Rick Rude (w/Jimmy Hart) defeated WWF Heavyweight Champion Hulk Hogan (white tights, green knee pads, white boots) by count-out @ 13:38. Massive heat for Rude, nuclear pop for Hogan. High-energy back-and-forth battle. Midway thru the battle, Rude hits a Rude Awakening out of nowhere that bounced Hogan up & thru the ropes to the floor. Hogan made it back in by the count of 9.5. Toward the end, Hogan catches Rude on top & superplexes him to Hell! Both men down, until Hogan sits up from the dead, firing up to his feet & quickly hitting the legdrop on an already-motionless Rude! Hart dives in to save the pinfall, but Hogan cuts him off & chases him out to the floor. King Kong Bundy comes down & Hogan’s fired up. He rolls back in, goading Bundy to come in & take him on. Bundy continues jawing from outside. Rude pulls himself up behind Hogan & high-knees him in the back, knocking Hogan to the floor at Bundy’s feet. Rude distracts the ref while Bundy tries to pick the Hogan bones… but Hogan reverses a whip & sends Bundy shoulder-first to the post! Hogan unloads staggering punches on Bundy & the place is coming unglued! Bundy battles back & they rumble into the heel aisle, as the ref counts Hogan out at 10! Rude & Hart celebrate in the ring with both Title belts! Hart puts the World Title around Rude’s waist! Crowd in rabid shock! Hogan turns in the aisle & sees this jaw-dropping sight in the ring, as Bundy turns & heads to the tunnel victoriously - he did what he apparently came to do! A livid Hogan storms back to the ring & rolls in, blowing this 2-man party up. He dismantles Rude & hits the Big Boot that sends Rude flying over the top. Rude & Hart stagger triumphantly to the back with Rude’s I-C gold, as Mel Phillips announces Rude as the winner by count-out. Phillips then reiterates the title change rules to the crowd & as a result Hogan is STILL WWF Heavyweight Champ, which frenzies the crowd. Ref awards the World Title belt back to its rightful, pissed-off, animated owner. “Eye of the Tiger” hits & Hogan proceeds to rock the house with the big post-game posedown, this time clearly with a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Roof blows off the Spectrum to end the night. 

I can only imagine the pop Sting got hitting the Deathdrop on Heenan.

HTM sneaks past the Hillbilly.

Muraco pulls a fast one on Martel.

Andre & Piper lose their cool but Andre comes out of the postmatch brawl looking like a winner.

Orndorf with a Wonderful win over Beefcake.

Holy shit, Ride beats Hogan! I mean it was by c.o & Bundy helped but still!

WrestleMania is really coming together. Love the million dollar stip added to Andre/Stud

Mr. Wonderful continues his winning ways. Can't wait to see who he's facing at Mania. 

Bravo gets in some good foreign heat.

High stakes in next week's tag team battle royal. NWA, AWA and WWF are all using this for the big events. Gotta love it.

Martel went out and found a solid partner in Putski. They might of lost by DQ but they gave Muraco and Beefcake quite a beating. 

Bundy and Heenan use Piper's Pit to get some massive Mania heat. Piper says he'll be there. Whoever he faces, that match will be electric. 

Another action packed All-Star main event as Kendall takes down Link. Huge win for the young Kendall. 

Sting has solidified himself as a major star by Death dropping Heenan. 

Muraco wins a round against Martel. This match is a must for Mania. 

Just when I think Piper will get the last laugh, Andre comes back and stands tall in the end. 

Exciting main event that draws serious heat. Bundy costs Hogan the match by co and obviously got his point across. However, Hogan must pose and he does. Rude was great in his role here. 

WWF is on fire! 

HOUSE SHOW: Sunday 5/23 | Baltimore, MD @ Baltimore Arena (9,222)

Jim Powers defeated Barry Horowitz with a sunset flip off the middle turnbuckle.

George ‘The Animal’ Steele (w/Lou Albano) defeated Sika (w/Mr. Fuji) with a schoolboy.

Nikolai Volkoff (w/Fred Blassie) defeated Sam Houston with the military press/backbreaker.

Paul Orndorff/Sting/Fantastics defeated King Kong Bundy/Greg Valentine/British Bulldogs (no Heenan) by count-out. Hot crowd, hot match. 8-man brawl spilled to the outside. Orndorff rolled back in just before 10.

[Intermission]

Hillbilly Jim defeated Brutus Beefcake (w/Jimmy Hart) by DQ. Jim grabbed Hart on the apron, Hart desperately tossed Beefcake the megaphone, and Beefcake cracked Jim in the back with it for the DQ. 2-on-1 beatdown after the bell. Jim ends up Big-Booting Beefcake silly & they head for the hills.

‘Dr. D’ David Schultz defeated Pedro Morales with a victory roll counter into a cradle. Heavy ‘Bruno’ chants throughout.

Masa Saito (w/Mr. Fuji) and Sgt. Slaughter fought to a 20-minute time limit draw in an all-out brawl with monster heat. Brawl continues after the bell. Slaughter hits a flying tackle that knocks Saito thru the ropes to the floor. Slaughter stands tall in the end.

Don Muraco won a 20-Man $10,000 Battle Royal to earn a WWF Heavyweight Title shot at next month’s event on Sunday 6/20. Muraco eliminated Paul Orndorff at the end when Brutus Beefcake interfered. Orndorff walloped both men with a chair in the post-match, sending them packing to end the night.

Good to see Powers doing well solo.

Am I the only one who finds George Steele vs Sika ending with a schoolboy kinda funny.

Volkoff kills the mood with a win over Houston.

A wild 8 man doesn't settle anything.

Takes more then a 2-on-1 to keep a country boy down.

I love the recurring theme of heels being heckled with the fans chanting for their rivals,  especially a bastard like Schultz.

20 minutes of Slaughter/Saito sounds like a great way to spend the night.

Can't wait for Hogan/Muraco for the title!

HOUSE SHOW: Friday 5/28 | 8 PM Bell Time | Boston, MA @ Boston Garden (17,828; Sell-out)

(Televised on the SESN Network. Gorilla Monsoon & Lord Alfred Hayes on commentary @ ringside.)

The Moondogs defeated Gus Wang/Ben Bus (local workers) @ 4:39 with the backbreaker/diving elbowdrop.

King Kong Bundy (w/Bobby Heenan) defeated Pedro Morales @ 5:11 with the Avalanche & splash.

Kevin Von Erich defeated Iron Sheik (w/Fred Blassie) @ 10:10 in a Lumberjack Match. Physical, seesaw battle with lumberjack interference from both sides. Kevin surprises Sheik with a sunset flip from the top rope for the leg-flailing 1-2-3. Post-match, Sheik ambushed Kevin but Kevin backdropped him over the top to the floor for his trouble. Kevin stands tall in the end.

British Bulldogs (w/Bobby Heenan) defeated Killer Bees @ 13:22 when Dynamite hit a Swandive Heabutt on Blair to break up the pinfall on Davey & rolled Davey on top for the 1-2-3. Hot match.

Paul Orndorff defeated Masa Saito (w/Mr. Fuji) by DQ @ 9:19 when Saito threw powder in Orndorff’s eyes in plain view of the ref. Saito & Fuji acted like the victors, then left to thundering boos. Blinded Orndorff was then helped to the back.

[Intermission]

Hillbilly Jim (w/Lou Albano) defeated Barry Horowitz @ 3:29 with the running Big Boot in the corner.

Kerry Von Erich defeated Greg ‘The Hammer’ Valentine (w/Bobby Heenan) @ 12:09 with a Discus Punch. Massive pop for Kerry.

[Ring Announcer Frank Chrzanowski hypes WrestleMania 2 on Saturday 7/3 @ 8 PM as the next live event in Boston. Announces that Boston Garden is officially a sellout & hypes some of the celebrities/music acts already slated to perform in Boston as part of the simulcast event. Additional matches to be announced locally in the coming weeks.]

Virgil (w/Fred Blassie) defeated Jose Luis Rivera @ 4:16 with the Russian Leg Sweep.

WWF Heavyweight Champion Hulk Hogan defeated I-C Champion ‘Ravishing’ Rick Rude (w/Jimmy Hart) by DQ @ 11:44. Barn-burner main event with a fired-up sellout crowd on its feet from the moments the entrance themes hit. Toward the end of this seesaw battle, Hogan & Rude brawl outside the ring. King Kong Bundy comes down & ambushes Hogan on the floor. Tosses Hogan into the ring & stomps a mudhole in Hogan for the DQ. Rude joins for the 2-on-1. Hillbilly Jim storms to the ring to make it 2-on-2. Albano arrives & tosses Hogan the Title belt from the outside to use as a weapon & Rude/Bundy/Hart clear out, headed for the hills. Jim & Albano hi-five Hogan, leaving him standing tall to rock the house & close out the night.

Good night for Heenan family in Boston.

Papa Fritz has reason to be proud of his boys tonight.

Saito & Fuji-san may have just started something with Orndorf.

Hogan, Jim & Albano make quite the trio to close out the night.

Hot card in Boston! 

That Bulldogs/Bees match is tag team wrestling at its best.

Kevin gets the best of Sheiky baby tonight. Both Von Erich boys are thriving as solos. 

Saito gives Orndorff the classic powder in the face. If this is the start of something, I'm all for it. 

No surprise that both Boston and Philly are sold out for Mania. 

Once again, Hogan and Rude tear the house down and once again, Bundy interferes. The road to Mania is going to be a lot of fun. 

TV: Superstars of Wrestling - Saturday 5/29

image.jpeg.177d3e23c0dba81768780cffa3ab9dce.jpeg

(Youngstown, OH @ Beeghly Center: TAPING #1. Gorilla Monsoon & Jesse Ventura on commentary)

[OPEN] to the customary dramatic WWF logo-in-space opener, with the colored galactic lasers galvanizing the logo to its dazzling golden hue, as the echoing voice bellows “The World Wrestling Federation. The revolutionary force in sports-entertainment”.

[CUT] to the opening credits package, set to “1999” by Prince as the audio underlay, featuring footage of Hulk Hogan walking the MSG hallway, then rapid-fire in-ring action flashes of the roster of stars, Hogan vs. Schultz @ MSG mixed in, and intercutting ecstatic sellout crowd shots, etc. Final dramatic shot of Hogan mid-double-bicep-pose during the emotional title-win celebration at MSG.

[FILTER] into the rocking mid-sized arena! Gorilla Monsoon & Jesse Ventura are standing at the commentary platform. Both hype us for an explosive hour as the road to WrestleMania rages on!

Sting defeated Barry Horowitz with the Stinger Splash @ 33 seconds. Crowd popping huge as Sting comes out of the tunnel, happily hi-fiving his way thru a sea of adoring arms, toward ringside. Has the place eating out of his hands, once he hits the ring. Suddenly… Bob Backlund, of all people, appears in the aisle in a 3-piece suit! Backlund’s back! Crowd in shock! Opening bell rings & Sting joyously takes an overzealous Horowitz apart with hiptosses, dropkick, clothesline & a towering backdrop. Backlund appears to be studying Sting & impressed by what he sees. In the ring, Sting hits the Stinger Splash & the place goes nuts! Horowitz timbers face-down likes a tree & Sting gets the easy 1-2-3. Party time in the arena. Sting is stunned to see Backlund in the aisle. Backlund nods approvingly, thumbs-up’s, and walks to the back. A perplexed Sting calmly shrugs it off & resumes yucking it up with the adoring capacity crowd. He seems to have a lingering thought in his head about what he saw moments ago, as he leaves the ring.

[Mean Gene in a locker room with Fred Blassie, Nikolai Volkoff & Boris Zhukov. Blassie says his men are prepared for World War 3 this week & will show the world they’re the true superpower of the tag team universe. Says he respects Mr. Fuji, but his (Blassie’s) men are known as Red Scare for a reason! Nikolai & Boris are gritting their teeth intensely in agreement.]

[WWF Update: “Tell Her About It” by Billy Joel is the audio intro this week. Paul Heyman is in the bustling newsroom. Announces that the WWF Front Office has begun finalizing the venue selections, Philadelphia or Boston, for matches on the WrestleMania dual-city card! The first 2 finalizations: The Hulk Hogan vs. King Kong Bundy WWF Heavyweight Title main event will officially emanate from Philadelphia @ the Spectrum, while the Andre the Giant vs. Big John Studd Million Dollar Challenge will emanate from the Boston Garden. The Sammartino vs. Schultz Street Fight is slated also for Boston, while the Sam Houston vs. Virgil match-up is headed for the City of Brotherly Love. Paul kicks us to pre-recorded studio promo of Blassie & Virgil. Virgil’s silent, arms folded, while Blassie boasts about the ‘Birthplace of America’ getting to see a 1-man Security Detail taking out a snot-nosed punk from Texas on America’s birthday. Says Sam Houston is gonna be the pencil-neck geek mascot of WrestleMania this year. Heyman says more WrestleMania announcements are on the way - the moment he knows, we’ll know. Wraps the segment, with “Hotel California” by The Eagles as the audio outro.]

Commercial

[During the commercial break, a market-specific bumper airs on the INDIANAPOLIS FEED, hyping Friday 6/11 as the WWF’s big return to Indy at Market Square Arena @ 8 PM. Limited tickets remain. Visual shows the starry moving-through-space motion graphic & Mean Gene’s voice hyping the card, including Masa Saito vs. Paul Orndorff, Don Muraco vs. Sting, Tag Champs Samoan Headhunters vs. Putski/Arcidi, Iron Sheik vs. Kevin Von Erich, and main event of David Schultz vs. Sgt Slaughter. .]

Back from commercial…

[Mean Gene in the locker room with the Fantastics. Tommy Rogers says this tag team battle royal is a golden opportunity to go into wrestling’s biggest show ever as the team who gets to challenge to officially be the best tag team in all the world. Bobby Fulton says they’re no strangers to the Samoan Headhunters & they’re gonna go thru 7 other teams this week, so they can roll into WrestleMania to take Fuji’s gold-plated savages out once & for all.]

David Schultz defeated Bass Warner. Schultz storms down the aisle to the ring, to a building-shaking round of booing. Heat is palpable. He angrily grabs the ring announcer’s mic & says he’s not on the run. He’s GLAD “that ole dog” came back from the dead for some more. Says he gets to put Old Yeller out to pasture @ WrestleMania & he can’t survive a street fight with Schultz. Says all these people’s chants & celebrating seeing Sammartino write his own epitaph ain’t gonna feel so good when they lay head to pillow the night of 7/3. Bell rings & Schultz tears Warner to shreds. Finishes him with the elbowdrop from the middle turnbuckle for the 1-2-3.

[Paul Heyman in a back hallways. Says he has tried tracking down the returning Bob Backlund to get a word with him about his return & what that was in the arena with Sting. However, Backlund has been nowhere to be found, no eyewitnesses have seen him, and there’s no trace he was even here. Says he’ll stay on the case, as this develops - if it does. Says he’d love Sting’s reaction & may get that during the hour.]

[WWF Event Center for the CLEVELAND MARKET: “Freeway of Love” by Aretha Franklin is the audio intro. Mean Gene hypes being 2 weeks away from the WWF returning to the Convocation Center, Sunday 6/13 @ 8pm. Limited tix available @ Ticketmaster outlets everywhere. He hypes the road to WrestleMania heating up & Cleveland is smack-dab in the middle of it. He hypes the 9-match card, including I-C Champ Rick Rude vs. Kevin Von Erich, Sting vs. Dino Bravo, Paul Orndorff vs. Iron Sheik, Tag Team Champs Samoan Headhunters vs. Killer Bees in 2 of 3 Falls Match, Hillbilly Jim vs. Honky Tonk Man, and a main event of Sgt. Slaughter vs. King Kong Bundy. Ivan Putski comes in & Gene welcomes him happily, to promo his match that night with Don Muraco. Putski says he hates bullies & Muraco is almost tops on that list. Says sooner or later, fate catches up to bullies & in Cleveland, Putski’s name is Fate. Gene happily wraps with an event hard-sell. “In My House” by the Mary Jane girls is the audio outro.]

[30-second ad for WWF merchandise, with glamour shots of top WWF stars in some of the gear.]

Commercial

[During the commercial break, an explosive national ad airs hyping WrestleMania 2. Available nationwide on closed-circuit TV - “Check your local listings!”]

Back from commercial…

George ‘The Animal’ Steele (w/Lou Albano) submitted Tom Ditch with the Armbar to Heaven. Crowd, young & old, was tickled pink to get the Animal experience. George ran awkward circles around the ring after the win & happily took head-rubs from kids around ringside. Albano loves every minute.

[Gorilla & Jesse are seated at the announce podium. Jesse announces he has an exclusive sit-down interview next week with ‘The Living Legend’ Bruno Sammartino about his shocking return at Saturday Night’s Main Event & his ungodly Street Fight showdown with David Schultz @ WrestleMania 2. Gorilla’s reeling from the news & adds Boston will never be the same after witnessing that one up close & personal, and adds Jesse might not be the same after next week. Jesse hypes the news about which matches are now slated for Philly & Boston, then says he hopes Bruno is ready for what he’s gonna throw at him next week.]

[Mean Gene in a plush locker room with the British Bulldogs. Dynamite says they are destined to be the WWF Tag Team Champions again & this battle royal is already won. Davey says, when you’re the best tag team in the world, proving it comes easy & it’s high time they get those belts back. Says it’s been a long road & they’re done waiting to win back what’s rightfully theirs.] 

Commercial

[During the commercial break, a market-specific bumper re-airs on the INDIANAPOLIS FEED, hyping Friday 6/11 as the WWF’s big return to Indy at Market Square Arena @ 8 PM. Limited tickets remain. Visual shows the starry moving-through-space motion graphic & Mean Gene’s voice hyping the card, including Masa Saito vs. Paul Orndorff, Don Muraco vs. Sting, Tag Champs Samoan Headhunters vs. Putski/Arcidi, Iron Sheik vs. Kevin Von Erich, and main event of David Schultz vs. Sgt Slaughter.]

Back from commercial…

[Paul Heyman catches up to Sting in a locker room. Sting’s shirtless & in jeans, getting dressed. Paul asks about the roll he he’s on. Sting says his roll is the product of tons of hard work, dedication, faith & daring to reach for the stars. Says he can only hope it’s all just getting started. Paul asks what he makes of seeing Bob Backlund in the aisle during his match. Sting makes double-sure that he saw the same thing & Paul confirms it was Backlund. Sting says he has 0 idea what to make of that. Says Backlund hasn’t been seen around here in a while & suddenly there he is, throwing thumbs-ups at the Stinger. Says he’s not gonna lose any sleep over this - if Backlund has something to say or do, step right up. Until then, he (Sting) is gonna keep living his life. “That’s all I can really do, Paulie.”]

Big John Studd defeated Sam McDonald @ 18 secs with a towering body slam & leaping elbowdrop.

[Mean Gene in a locker room with Albano, Scufflin’ Hillbillies, and an offscreen George Steele who’s in the midst of some horseplay that has the hillbillies amused. Albano is excited for Jimmy & Luke, who are about to go out there & lock down the biggest shot any tag team in the world could lock down - a Tag Title shot on wrestling’s grandest night of all time, to beat Mr. Fuji’s Samoan gremlins. Jim says he’s ready to kick some battle royal booty & get a shot at that big gold for ‘WrassleMania’. Luke adds that they’ll get to share Jeb Juice with 2 cities that night when they win the belts.]

Kerry Von Erich defeated Steve Matthews with the Discus Punch. Massive pop & barrage of flashbulbs for Kerry, who charismatically owns the moment. Makes short work of Matthews & continues the love fest with the crowd in the post-match. Gets a hero’s sendoff as he wades his way through the humanity on his way back to the tunnel.

Commercial

[During the commercial break, the explosive national ad re-airs hyping WrestleMania 2. Available nationwide on closed-circuit TV - “Check your local listings!”]

Back from commercial…

[WWF Event Center for the CLEVELAND MARKET: “Uptown Girl” by Billy Joel is the audio intro. Mean Gene re-hypes being 2 weeks away from the WWF returning to the Convocation Center, Sunday 6/13 @ 8pm. Limited tix available @ Ticketmaster outlets everywhere. He re-hypes the 9-match card, including I-C Champ Rick Rude vs. Kevin Von Erich, Sting vs. Dino Bravo, Paul Orndorff vs. Iron Sheik, Tag Team Champs Samoan Headhunters vs. Killer Bees in 2 of 3 Falls Match, Hillbilly Jim vs. Honky Tonk Man, and a main event of Sgt. Slaughter vs. King Kong Bundy. Dino Bravo strolls into frame in street clothes, smug as can be. Says he’s coming to this dump America calls Cleveland to lay waste to a face-painted teen idol. Says he’s gonna break Sting in-half with his massive arms, and speak in French while he’s doing it. Gene wraps the segment with a hard-sell, as “Harvest for the World” by the Isley Bros. as the audio outro.]

Back in the arena...

MAIN EVENT: 16-Man Tag Team Battle Royal for Tag Team Title Shot at WrestleMania

Fred Blassie leads Red Scare to the ring, to a round of huge boos… followed by Putski & Arcidi coming down to major cheers… followed by Jimmy Hart leading Muraco & Beefcake down the aisle to MONSTER boos… followed by the Killer Bees coming out to big cheers… The Moondogs come down to tepid boos… the Fantastics come down to “Well Dressed Man” by ZZ Top to pandemonium!... British Bulldogs come down to “Hail Britannia” to thundering heat… Lou Albano leads the Scufflin’ Hillbillies out to “Don’t Go Messin’ With A Country Boy” to a giant ovation! All the teams are in the ring & ready to rumble!

The mass of humanity implodes as the Pier-16 breaks out. Everyone’s pounding anything that moves that isn’t their partner. It’s pandemonium! After several minutes of this widespread chaos, Putski clotheslines Moondog Rex over the top to the floor! Meanwhile, Muraco & Beefcake dump Arcidi over the top to the floor from behind! Davey Boy ends up scooping & slamming Moondog Spot over the top to the floor! Moondogs are officially not gonna be #1 contenders at Mania!

Brian Blair’s working over Dynamite in the corner with kicks & uppercuts. Hillbilly Jim has muscled Boris Zhukov forward halfway over the top rope, but Boris is hanging on. Both Fantastics have Beefcake by the legs & trying to deadlift him backward over the top, but Beefcake’s fighting it with all he’s got! Bodies flying all around them! 

Meanwhile, Putski lunges at Davey Body with a clothesline attempt… but Davey backdrops him over the top to the floor! Putski’s gone now! Dynamite German-suplexes Jim Brunzell out of his boots. Cousin Luke immediately snatches up Brunzell & hurls him over the top to the floor! Luke turns around & Davey immediately clotheslines him over the top to the floor, in a heap right next to Brunzell! Blair ambushes Davey from behind, trying to deadlift him forward over the top, but Dynamite pounds Blair from behind to break it up.

The Bulldogs double-standing-delay suplex Blair skyward… back up near the ropes… and DUMP Blair down to the floor below! Both Bees are gone now! The Bulldogs turn around & HILLBILLY JIM CHARGES WITH A DOUBLE-CLOTHESLINE TO THE BULLDOGS OVER THE TOP… BUT THE BULLDOGS DESPERATELY HANG ON FOR DEAR LIFE & MANAGE TO SQUIRM BACK INTO THE RING BEFORE HITTING THE FLOOR! They ambush Jim from behind & stomp a mudhole in him. Beefcake & Muraco join in, making it a 4-on-1 beatdown! Both Fantastics pounce & make it 4-on-3! Major rumble! Coalition & the Bulldogs are winning the numbers battle here!

Rogers reverses a whip & sends Muraco to the corner, and charges… Muraco sidesteps as Rogers follows in for a running cross-body… Rogers sails over the top turnbuckle sideways, crash-and-burns to the floor! Bulldogs whip Jim to the ropes & go for a double-clothesline… but Jim ducks & carries thru to the opposite ropes… comes up & FLATTENS both Bulldogs stereo with a stereo clothesline! Muraco immediately sneaks up behind & tries to Jim over the top, but Jim reverses him & tries running Muraco over instead… but Muraco’s draped over the top, holding on for dear life! Muraco desperately reaches back & rakes Jim’s eyes to save himself.

…… Place ERUPTS to its feet!!!... as… HERE COMES TITO SANTANA SPRINTING TO THE RING! He running-slides into the ring, dropkicks Beefcake for a mile over the top to the floor!!!! Tito immediately flying-forearms Muraco backward over the top to the floor!!!!!! Tito rolls under the ropes  & immediately pounces on Muraco like a man possessed!!!! Tito’s waling away like there’s no tomorrow!!! That man cost him the I-C Title, dammit!!! And now he’s cost Muraco & Beefcake a Tag Title shot at WrestleMania!! Place coming unglued!!! Concussion doesn’t quell vengeance!!

A bunch of officials race onto the scene & pull Tito off Muraco! Muraco crawls away like his life is in danger! A terrified Beefcake helps him up at the aisle & they scurry to the back!! Tito breaks free of the officials & races up the aisle after them!! Jimmy Hart is besie

Meanwhile, Bobby Fulton hops on Hillbilly Jim’s back with a sleeper. Jim flips him forward off his shoulders, down to the floor below!! Both Bulldogs immediately pounce on Jim!! They strategize & Davey scoops Jim up powerslam-style, while Dynamite starts climbing the ropes. Jim squirms off Davey’s shoulders, shoving him forward to the corner, groining Dynamite on the top! Jim immediately runs Davey over the top on the other side!... but Davey hangs on & pulls himself up to the apron! Jim immediately Big-Boots him off the apron to the floor!!!!! Alano’s going nuts!!! Only 2 men remain!!!

Dynamite’s still in agony, wishboned on that top turnbuckle. Jim immediately hustles over… & super-plexes Dynamite off the top!! Both men down!! Crowd roaring on its feet! The 2 men slowly stir & exchange blows as they’re fighting their way up to their feet! Dynamite nails a German suplex out of nowhere on the big man! Dynamite then drops a power-drive elbow-drop! He then climbs to the top rope & soars for the Swandive…… BUT JIM MOVES OUT OF THE WAY & DYNAMITE CRASHES FACE-FIRST TO THE MAT!!

Jim woozily peels Dynamite up & whips him to the corner. Jim follows in for the corner Big Boot…… by Dynamite move & Jim leg goes flying over the top to nowhere!! Jim goes down in leg pain. Dynamite pulls him up &...... FIREMAN’S JIM ONTO HIS BACK & HEAVES HIM OVER THE TOP TO THE FLOOR! DYNAMITE KID HAS WON THE BATTLE ROYAL! Ref gets in & raises his arm to the shocked crowd!! 

“Rule Britannia” hits & Davey runs back to ringside. He slides back in & hugs his partner!! The British Bulldogs are the new #1 contenders for the Tag Team Titles & head to WrestleMania for the shot! The Bulldogs stand victorious, working the crowd on all sides of the arena! A dejected Hillbilly Jim limps up the aisle, helped by Albano. The Bulldogs mount opposite middle turnbuckles, posing & taunting the shocked crowd! 

Winner: Dynamite Kid @ 8:52; British Bulldogs #1 Contenders for Tag Team Titles at WrestleMania 2

Commercial

Back from commercial…

[Gorilla & Jesse standing at their broadcast position. Jesse psyched for the Bulldogs & Heenan Family overall as they head into WrestleMania with shots at gold. Gorilla pours cold water on it, by asking where Heenan & the rest of the Family even were just now. Jesse’s annoyed, saying they’re handling business, both in the ring & outside it. Action for next week’s show: New I-C Champion Rick Rude, Sam Houston, Andre the Giant, Masa Saito! MAIN EVENT: Sgt Slaughter vs. Iron Sheik! Gorilla & Jesse are hyped for next week, and bid us farewell.]

Backlund's back and has his eye on Sting. This should be good.

Good to see both Wrestlemania cards being filled out. Shaping up great so far.

I completely believe Schultz is glad to see Bruno back. Honest.

Some big shows coming up in Indianapolis & Cleveland.

Solid string of promos hyping the battle royal in the main event.

Speaking of which, very well detailed. Nice touch having Tito get payback on the coalition by tossing them. But when the dust settles it's the British Bulldogs that have secured the title shot. Bring on the Bulldogs vs The Headhunters.

Like Sting, I have no idea what Backlund's intentions are here but I can't wait to find out.

Good job promoting tonight's tag team battle royal. 

Schultz and Sammartino will be a bloodbath! 

Studd looks tuned up and ready for Andre.

Kerry gives the fans another electrifying performance. 

Oh man, every team came with their working boots on. Action packed battle royal! British Bulldogs get the shot at Mania! Very intriguing heels vs. heels match up. Gorilla brought up a great point, where was Heenan? Hmmmmmm. 

I'm enjoying the road to WrestleMania. Keep up the good work. 

TV: All-Star Wrestling - Saturday 5/29

image.jpeg.c33b0eb02466a6ad48b12f51c2618229.jpeg

(Poughkeepsie, NY @ Mid-Hudson Civic Center: Taping #2. Vince McMahon & Jack Reynolds on commentary.)

[Opening Credits package plays. WE then filter into the building with a lively crowd. Vince & Jack are at the commentary platform.]

King Kong Bundy defeated Earl Hamner with an Avalanche & splash. Demanded & received the 5-count. Big-time heat in the building & ‘Hogan’ chants, getting under Bundy’s skin & making life worse for Hamner.

[Piper’s Pit: Gigantic heat for Piper. Piper says that’s what respect sounds like. Says, speaking of respect, his guest this week is a young man who could stand to have a bit more for his superiors & he’ll be taught that lesson @ WrestleMania. Intro’s Sam Houston, who gets a big ovation. He’s all-smiles to the crowd & tells Piper his daddy raised him to give respect, to get it back tenfold. He says he shows nothing but respect, but his daddy didn’t raise no fool. If he’s shown disrespect, then he’ll show it back tenfold. Piper sarcastically says it sounds like his daddy was a real pickle. Asks him how he plans to recover from his upcoming loss @ WrestleMania to a man who can beat up a team of guys all at once. Houston says he respects what Virgil can do, but he knows he can hold his own with the biggest bullies in the yard & he knows he can win. Piper scoffs & tells him he’s a snot-nosed fool if he thinks there’s a chance. Houston says he’s fine with Piper thinking that, but he’s proving guys like Virgil wrong his whole - and guys like Piper too. Piper says he’s never been proven wrong a day in his life & WrestleMania will not be any different. Houston says he’ll happily come back on after Mania & be the first to tell Piper “I told you so” - says Virgil can go back to bouncing, once this ole Texas boy is done bouncin’ him on July 4th weekend. Houston riles up the crowd & leaves, with Piper left murmuring someone needs to teach that punk a lesson.]   

Jim Powers defeated Tank Henson with a middle turnbuckle superplex.

Salvatore Bellomo defeated Barry Horowitz with a sunset flip off the middle turnbuckle

MAIN EVENT: Virgil (w/Fred Blassie) defeated Pedro Morales by count-out. Knockdown/drag-out affair with hard-hitting offense both ways. 

Toward the end, Virgil charges for a spear, but Morales sidesteps & Virgil barrels thru the ropes to the floor. Outside, the 2 men brawl until Virgil downs him with a clothesline, grabs him by the legs & slingshots him face-first into the post. Morales is drunkenly woozy & busted-open from the post shot! 

Virgil rolls back in, as Morales struggles to stand on spaghetti legs, bloody, ready to fight some more but has no idea where he is! He collapses back to the floor as the ref hits the count of 10. Morales is bleeding everywhere, as officials rush onto the scene. Looks a gallon of blood on Morales’ face & the floor, as Virgil & Blassie smugly enjoy the win in the ring, before sauntering up the aisle to the tunnel.

[Sting vs. Haku is announced as next week’s main event. Piper’s Pit: WWF Heavyweight Champ Hulk Hogan!]

Kevin Von Erich submitted Dick Wolfe with the Claw. Massive pop for Kevin, as the crowd hung on every move. Festive crowd in the post-match as Kevin interacted with all sides of the building to close the show.

HOUSE SHOW: Saturday 5/29 | Montreal, QB @ Forum (21,488; Sell-out)

Kendall Windham defeated Barry Horowitz with a slingshot lariat. Big opening welcome for Kendall.

Hillbilly Jim (w/Lou Albano) defeated Honky Tonk Man by DQ, when Honky used the guitar to beat down Jim. Jim rolled out, grabbed a chair & rolled back in. Honky cleared out & headed for the hills.

Sam Houston defeated Boris Zhukov (w/Fred Blassie) by DQ, when Virgil ran down & ambushed Houston.

I-C Champion Rick Rude (w/Jimmy Hart) defeated Kevin Von Erich by count-out. Kevin slapped the Claw on Rude outside the ring. Rude slingshot Kevin into the post to break the hold & beat the 10-count.

[Intermission]

Killer Bees defeated Tag Team Champions Samu/Fatu (w/Mr. Fuji) by DQ when Sika ran down to save the double dropkick pinfall on Fatu.

Kerry Von Erich defeated Nikolai Volkoff (w/Fred Blassie) with the Discus Punch. Massive pop for Kerry.

Rick Martel fought Roddy Piper to a 20-minute time limit draw. Big-time heat, hot match. Piper walked to the back after the time limit bell, acting as if he won. Martel stood tall in the ring, as if HE'D won. Big Montreal pop for Martel.

WWF Heavyweight Champion Hulk Hogan defeated Brutus Beefcake (w/Jimmy Hart). Nuclear atmosphere, the moment “Eye of the Tiger” hit. Great up-and-down, back-and-forth match. Toward the end, ref gets KO’d. Hart grabs the Title belt as Beefcake holds Hogan for him. Hogan ducks & Hart clocks Beefcake with the belt. Hogan hits the legdrop, as Ref #2 runs down & counts the 1-2-3. Massive post-match party to close out the night.

HOUSE SHOW: Sunday 5/30 | Ottawa, ON @ Civic Centre (9,471)

Kendall Windham defeated Missing Link with a leapfrog of Link’s spear attempt & schoolboy

Cousin Luke defeated Barry Horowitz with the falling back-splash

‘Dr. D’ David Schultz defeated Ted Arcidi bulldog off the second turnbuckle

Rick Martel defeated Brutus Beefcake with a running Blockbuster 

Honky Tonk Man defeated Hillbilly Jim a rollup reversal and handful of overalls

British Bulldogs defeated the Killer Bees with a Dynamite Swandive Headbutt on Brunzell in a hot match with a chaotic finish

‘Mr. Wonderful’ Paul Orndorff defeated I-C Champion ‘Ravishing’ Rick Rude by DQ, when Orndorff had Rude up for the piledriver & Jimmy Hart cracked Orndorff in the back with the megaphone for the save. Orndorff no-sold it & chased Hart around ringside as Rude rolled out to flee. Orndorff caught Hart & put him in a Boston Crab in the middle of the ring. Rude came back & Orndorff released the hold, allowing Rude to reach in & drag Hart away. Orndorff stood tall for the raucous crowd to end the night.