Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 7/27 - 8/2 HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE KING OF KINGS

NintendoLogic

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he is comparing a one-second spot in a 30-min match that was not even pushed or hyped to about a month's worth of build-up about how one competitor in a match was literally going to have their eye detached, then it's a laughable argument not really worthy of a rebuttal. 

This poor guy... Yeah, a 10 seconds *gag* (which was legit funny too) is totally the same thing as promoting the main event of a PPV on the serious premise that one of the wrestler is gonna lose an eye and you're gonna see it pop out on TV (which they did not deliver in the end BTW). Like, it's totally the same thing. Yeah, this poor guy... At the top of the company at its lowest popularity point ever... Acting like a corporate zombi... He's honestly a pretty pathetic figure.

This isn't on the level of what Rollins has said in the past. He even alludes to the ending not being the most ideal, so he's showing some awareness here. I can't imagine he or Rey were thrilled about it.

But he's not going to get a pass, because of how poorly he's handled previous interviews.

The Eye for an Eye stipulation was awful. A decent match otherwise was overwhelmed by the ending being too weird, even for wrestling.

I know it's horror-movie bullshit but still, not tone deaf at all to basically have a guy physically abusing a woman by putting his fingers into her mouth... (I know this is a "wrestling finisher" but still... come on now...)

People bitch about intergender wrestling in which women shine (and win matches) but this is ok ? <_<

It struck me just because WWE has been pretty adamant in having any intergender interaction be limited to women getting the best of men (see Robert Stone getting beat up by Shotzi and Rhea in NXT) that it was legitimately shocking to me when Bray put his hands on her. 

19 hours ago, El-P said:

I know it's horror-movie bullshit but still, not tone deaf at all to basically have a guy physically abusing a woman by putting his fingers into her mouth... (I know this is a "wrestling finisher" but still... come on now...)

People bitch about intergender wrestling in which women shine (and win matches) but this is ok ? <_<

Is it any different than what you see in action movies when for instance, the villain kidnaps the hero's girlfriend? In that case, why aren't people outraged by that and try to cancel this kind of interactions in movies, then?

WWE don't do man on woman violence. Ok. So a few weeks only after #SpeakingOut, you have a guy monster abusing a woman by shoving his fingers in her mouth... Kinda looks shitty of you ask me. If that was in Lucha Underground which had intergender matches galore and torture scenes and murders, I would not even bat an eye. In the WWE context, it strikes me as quite odd.

Personally, I think it would've been better if the lights went out and then came back on and they were both gone. To me, putting his fingers in her mouth was icky - but worse than that, it was unnecessary and detracting from the moment. Am I the only one whose first thought was, "I wonder what that glove tastes like" or "This is just awkward cuz, like, because we've seen them on various reality shows as themselves, we know these were probably giggling about this all day"? 

Maybe I'm wrong, but it felt like the story is supposed to make me wonder about what's coming next now that Alexa has now been abducted...but was she? Instead of actually seeing her get abducted and vanishing, we saw him apply the Mandible Claw and her basically sell it like instant death (which is wholly inconsistent with how that move should be sold and has been sold historically). Fade to black.

But they could kick off SmackDown next week with Alexa being shaken up backstage and the announcers could say, "After the show ended, The Fiend disappeared and Alexa got medical attention." To me, that's not good storytelling if you're pussyfooting the very first step in what could be an intriguing storyline. 

Aside from that, I would say that I wouldn't be disappointed with SummerSlam being focused primarily on SmackDown. Aside from McIntyre/Orton, is there a single match or angle on RAW that I should care about? Bayley and Sasha have been all over the TV so much that I don't even consider them of a single brand. I'd be down for a card that looked like this...

- Drew/Orton (maybe surprise appearance by Brock at the end?)

- Sasha/Asuka (cage match or"shark cage" match to keep Bayley away)

- Styles vs. Big E (They've waited so long to push Big E that I'm cool with having him "climb the ranks" the old school way, win a lesser title here, hold onto it forever, win a World Title at Mania)

- Riddle vs. Gable or Corbin (the better match would be Gable, obviously, but the bigger "rub" would be Riddle taking out Corbin)

- Bray vs. Braun (Alexa and Nikki Cross heavily involved) (possible Otis cash-in?)

- Mandy Rose vs. Sonya Deville (Hair vs. Hair)

Some sort of angle where Rollins and his crew do something dastardly and Aleister Black returns to destroy them

* And I propose this card not because its going to give us one "epic" after another. It wouldn't. In fact, there could even be some clunkers...but I like the idea of variety and not necessarily having every match be all about workrate or courting a "This is Awesome" chant. NXT Takeovers have become a bit of a chore for that very reason. Advance some storylines, give a spotlight to some newer stars (Mandy and Sonya), etc. As good as Bayley and Sasha have been, for example, they didn't need 30+ minutes of screentime at Extreme Rules just like they don't both  need to be featured at SummerSlam (one good match featuring all 3 will be just fine).

3 hours ago, SirEdger said:

Is it any different than what you see in action movies when for instance, the villain kidnaps the hero's girlfriend? In that case, why aren't people outraged by that and try to cancel this kind of interactions in movies, then?

Smackdown isn't an action movie. When I watch a wrestling program, I want to see fucking wrestling. This isn't pro wrestling. It's not even sports entertainment. It's low-budget horror schlock. If I want to see WWE-produced horror, I'll watch See No Evil.

2 hours ago, El-P said:

WWE don't do man on woman violence. Ok. So a few weeks only after #SpeakingOut, you have a guy monster abusing a woman by shoving his fingers in her mouth... Kinda looks shitty of you ask me. If that was in Lucha Underground which had intergender matches galore and torture scenes and murders, I would not even bat an eye. In the WWE context, it strikes me as quite odd. 

they just recently had Randy Orton RKO Beth Phoenix.

2 hours ago, DMJ said:

- Mandy Rose vs. Sonya Deville (Hair vs. Hair)

I was just thinking how in every other wrestling promotion in the world ever the angle they did would set up a hair match,  but in 2020 WWE it will probably lead to something being billed as a Normal Wrestling Match with no stips whatsoever.