Pro Wrestling Only

Grind Time Wrestling

jpchicago23

I'll echo the sentiments of everyone here; we know and see what you're going for; we can see your style and the early ROH-ish influence is definitely there. I think you're setting a good pace so far and looking forward with Regal vs Danielson. Once you find the best format, you'll be rolling big time!

At a press conference held earlier Friday morning Harley Race was introduced as the President of GTW. Here are a few notes from what Race had to say in regards to future of the company.

Reporter: Mr Race congratulations on your new position with GTW, what is your vision for the company? 

Harley Race: Thank you, my vision is simple. I want to evolve the sport of professional wrestling while staying true to the roots that got us here. I believe we have two of the best guys to pull this vision off and it’s going to be my job to make sure they do so with the best interest for business in mind. 

Reporter: Mr Race, do you feel it is a detriment to the company to have your top two bookers on completely different pages? 

Harley Race: I can see from the outside looking in how you would think that. In fact before I got here I thought the same thing. However I’ve spoken to both men and realized that their sights are set on the fans in their audiences and I feel like we check all the boxes when it comes to wrestling. 

Reporter: Do you lean more towards one side then the other when it comes to wrestling philosophy?

Harley Race: To say I don’t have a spot in my heart for the old school would be an obvious lie. I’ve had battles with Lawler dating back to the 70s and my prime as NWA champion was as old school as it gets. That being said, I’ve also trained some of the younger talent coming up today and I see the hunger in them. They may go about the business in a different manner but their heart and desire is still there. So I’ll take the political answer and say both. 

Harley Race also made the announcement that he has signed a deal starting in September for two weekly shows to air for GTW. One show will be on Monday nights on the southern side of the promotion and the other will be on Saturday nights covering the Midwest. Both men will be given creative freedom to run their shows and book talent accordingly. Also I have spoke with both men in regards to having a core talent pool for each region as well. This won’t limit talent from being booked in either region but instead will ensure that our large roster is being used to its highest value. 

And to add to that news Mr Race announced that the finals for the title tournament will be held next Sunday, Aug 30th in St Louis. The card will be announced in the next week and will be GTWs first major show. 

GTW Windy City Saturday Night 8/22/00

Show opens with a video recap of the press conference introducing Harley Race as the new president of GTW. Dave Prazak welcomes us to Chicago live in the ring and introduces Harley Race to a huge ovation. 

In Ring: Harley Race tells the crowd he’s excited to be back in the business and he wants to make sure there’s still a business for years to come. Harley then calls for Gabe Sapolsky and Bryan Danielson to come to the ring. Danielson is quickly becoming known as one of the best technical wrestlers in the world and the crowd is showing their appreciation by giving him a favorable response. Gabe tells Harley it’s an honor to be working for you and that he trusts that Mr Race will help progress the wrestling world into the new millennium. Harley then tells Gabe, I love your vision for wrestling but you also need Jarrett. The crowd boos and Gabe looks confused. Harley: now Jerry also needs you. You need the history and tradition to keep this train rolling and Jerry needs the innovation to make sure that tradition doesn’t die. I only hope we can come to some common ground. Now, as to why I called both of you out here. Next Sunday night as you know will be our first big event in GTW, The Legacy Begins. In the main event will be you Mr Danielson vs Jerry “The King” Lawler. I commend both of you for making history and wish you both luck in the match however this won’t be a normal title match. This will be a 2/3 falls match. I will allow you to pick a stipulation as well as Lawler and I will pick the third. So tonight it’s your call. Gabe and Bryan are seen conversing and Danielson grabs the mic. My choice is a submission match, no one on this planet can match me hold for hold. Harley says alright you heard it fall 1 will be a submission match and we cut to break. 

Match 1:

Backseat Boyz vs Super Dragon & Excalibur

Fun, fast paced match with Trent Acid and Super Dragon being the real highlights here. Trent came off as a scummy heel with Dragon and Excalibur showing plenty of innovative offense. Finish comes when Kashmere hit Dragon with a baseball bat in the corner allowing The Backseat Boyz to hit Excalibur with their finish.

Winners: The Backseat Boyz 

Backstage: We then cut to William Regal backstage where he says he is absolutely disgusted with himself more than Danielson. I should have known better than to take a pathetic American under my belt and show him the way. He then introduces his new protege Nigel Mcguinness. Nigel is a proper student and with my guidance will rid Bryan of his claim to be the best technical wrestler besides myself of course. 

Match 2: 

Brian XL vs Ruckus vs Amazing Red

Great athletic showcase in this three way match. Prazak mentions on commentary that the best high flying, fast paced action is featured here in the Midwest side of town. Ruckus and XL make a great impression with the crowd showcasing a ton of high spots and double team offense. Finish comes with Ruckus landing a 450 splash on XL. 

Winner- Ruckus 

Backstage: We get a quick word from Eddie Guerrero regarding the title tournament. Eddie says that Danielson is a hell of a competitor and is glad he woke up to the fact that Regal was using him before it was too late. He says while he’s mad that he lost in the tournament he hopes Danielson wins and gives him a fair shot afterwards. Oh and speaking of challenges,Eddie then challenged Regal to a match next Sunday. 

We next get a video sent in by Jerry Lawler. Lawler says he couldn’t be paid enough to to actually be in the Shitcago this weekend. He then goes on to acknowledge Danielsons stipulation and says he will reveal his next Saturday in Memphis. 

We head back to the ring for the next match.

Match 3: 

Bryan Danielson vs local jobber The Prince Barry Brawler

Danielson puts on a clinic here with lots of grappling and submission attempts. Danielson puts on variations of leg locks and releases before Brawler taps. He puts Bralwer in a cross face and screams into the camera, this is your destiny Lawler. Finish comes when Danielson applies Cattle Mutilation and Brawler quickly taps. 

Winner- Bryan Danielson 

After the match Danielson gets on the mic and tells Lawler to study that match. Learn a few holds Lawler, learn how to wrestle but most of all, learn how to tap! 

Back from break and the arena is pitch black. Demon of the Fall by Opeth is playing over the speakers and a demonic being is shown at the entrance. Reverend Dan Wilson walks into the light and reveals his face. He is seen walking Jun Kasai on a leash with Tank, Iceberg and Necro Butcher following behind. Wilson begins speaking in tongues before he says “These are The Devils Rejects” . These are the shadows of death and destruction. These men will rid this business of the martyrs that bleed for a lost prophet. Wilson then states that Raven is never more and anyone else that holds on to the past will become it. Take a good look at these men because this will be the last time you see them as you once knew them. These men will no longer be judged by their blood and scars. These men have been adopted by the under lord and these men will lead the new beginning of extreme. Wilson is seen with multiple masks in his hand as he falls to his knees and begins speaking in tongues again. Arena cuts to black as Solitude by Candlemass plays and the show ends. 

Great show!

I can't wait to see what stipulation Lawler goes with (he is the king of stipulations) and then what Race comes up with for the 3rd fall.  I think Bryan Danielson pretty much guaranteed a win in the first fall with his.

That group that came out to close the show are creepy af.  That was a big spot for them to end things after the main event, so I feel like they are being positioned very strongly in Grind Time.