Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - July 29, 2020

MoS

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Stiva said:

Also, was that Cameron of WWE fame in the segment with Nyla? Pretty brave of them to just assume everyone would have any idea who she was unless I’m missing a run she had somewhere 

It was indeed. Zack Ryder may be yet another Cody nepotism hire, but she has no preexisting relationships with anyone in AEW that I know of. They must be desperate for bodies to fill out the women's tag tournament, because bringing in the woman who did this is about as close to the bottom of the barrel as you can get.

Was Eva Marie not available?

I think the former Cameron might be friends with Brandi - they were in developmental together. 

I am glad someone apart from me was underwhelmed by Warhorse. For some reason he has an indy following that was gushing all over this match, while for me the only good thing about the match was, as I said, the underlying story of Cody's title reign and defences, which is good booking more than anything. 

I saw a lot of people getting overly mad over Cameron as if she wasn't just a body to fill the women's tag tourney. If she beats Shida next week yeah by all means scream, but I'm not going to get all OMG NEPOTISM over someone being #14 in a 16 person field. 

3 minutes ago, Blehschmidt said:

So I am just now watching the show, and am not reading the thread to avoid spoilers, so if it is already being or been discussed, my apologies, but.... God Damn, Zack Ryder has been hitting the IcoPro!

Whether it's the gym or the juice, he is jacked!!

I mean, he's had a lot of time on his hands and I guess it wasn't all being spent on booking his action figure fed. 

1 hour ago, Stiva said:

Oh, I wasn’t mad about it. It just genuinely shocked me, is all. I know they’re throwing shit at the wall with the women but what a deep cut.

They can only work with folks in the US, willing to travel, and can test negative. I'm sure at this point they'd probably give any of us a one shot if we check all the boxes.

It says a whole lot about my interest in WWE that I had no idea who Matt Cardona was, to the point I did not even get why people were talking about Zach Ryder. I did not recognize the girl who showed up with Nyla either.

6 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

Oh yeah, that girl. That and the infamous Tough Enough "who's your favourite wrestler ?" answer... Yeah, she's a catch. Well, she can't be worse than she was on this clip.

It's really bad because they have a bunch of really decent/solid workers working Dark, including some with actual fun characters (Raché Chanel, I'm looking at you), so getting a WWE reject to tag along someone managed by Vickie Guerrero really isn't a good look to me. A bit too TNAish to me.

Wait, two WWE rejects on the same show. Of course that's not their fault, they are from an era where a lot of people with TV experience will be WWE rejects, but still... FTR were great catch. Zach Ryder, no idea. Cameron... yikes.

Apart from that Warhorse was quite decent I thought, although a guy dressing up like someone straight out of 1984... not too sure. And a week after Eddie Kingston, that's rough. They gotta sign Kingston. And Pillman, who's back in the crowd.

Speaking of rough, I did not think that women match was very good at all. Guess who made Diamanté look better than she is last week ? Yeah, I sure hope they bring Ivelisse back, because it was not a strong showing at all I thought. 

Apart from that, Dark Order vs Omega & Page was easily the best match of the night. Dark Order have been stealing BTE lately, I'm glad they did the paper spot at the end, that was a neat little nod to the BTE skits. Uno & Grayson are sooo much better than their gimmick, hopefully at some point Brody Lee kicks them out and and they get do another gimmick altogether. The whole Omega vs Page saga is such a low build that it will be awesome when they finally will have that break up and feud eventually. Loving that subtle stuff.

Opening was very good, Jericho vs Orange is gold thus far and Sammy is back at being the greatest.

Strong promo from MJF, strong promo from Starks too and Taz cracked me up with "Stand in front of me so we don't piss off someone". Main event was quite fun, the ending was great and brutal looking (I'm sure some people will bitch about two weeks of pins gimmick in a row).

Really good show, but beware of too many WWE-lite (especially people with zero cred) showing up.

J.R. was right. Taz is an indie rassler who never learned how to be big time. It's even worse now because Taz only knows how to put over Taz, which doesn't work in a managerial role. Is he entertaining on the mic? Sure. Who has that helped? Taz. No one buzzes about Brian Cage. It's always, "Man, Taz was awesome this week! Fuck that grumpy ol' J.R. for understanding the biz, BRO!"

AEW bringing in Ariane Andrews/Cameron as Nyla's partner is tone deaf - assuming it's more than just a "fun" once-off. Nyla needs to be paired with someone who has experience and seasoning - not a person who was horrible in the ring, awful on the mic, irritating on Total Divas, not over at all with anyone, and most known for Kamala-like pins and citing Melina vs. Alicia Fox as her favorite match (the rare example of WWE comedy that was actually funny). 

How did this happen anyway? Are Cameron and Brandi good friends from their WWE days or something? Only way to explain such an inexplicable hiring decision. 

Yeah, because Taz *is* awesome in that role. So, we can't rave about managers being awesome promos now ? When Cornette cut a promo people would buzz about Bobby Eaton and not Cornette ? And yes, he's absolutely helping Brian Cage by being awesome, because Cage is not gonna cut a good promo. This is so old-school, it's ridiculous to even try to argue otherwise. The issue about only putting over himself was an issue with Jake and Archer at the beginning (not so much now). But Taz ? Nope.

Also, Taz has been a better announcer than JR for about a good 15 years now, so he is also helping get over the product in the announcing booth.

1 hour ago, C.S. said:

J.R. was right. Taz is an indie rassler who never learned how to be big time. It's even worse now because Taz only knows how to put over Taz, which doesn't work in a managerial role. Is he entertaining on the mic? Sure. Who has that helped? Taz. No one buzzes about Brian Cage. It's always, "Man, Taz was awesome this week! Fuck that grumpy ol' J.R. for understanding the biz, BRO!"

I mean, they brought in Brian Cage and put Taz with him and within weeks of build-up, he has now popped big numbers two weeks in a row, all the while looking like an absolute badass in the ring. Hate on Taz all you want, but saying that all the buzz is about Taz and it has not transferred to Cage is just being delusional. 

In other news, it seems that Excalibur is the latest casualty of woke capitalism. His absence from this episode of Dynamite was apparently related to footage of him using the n-word in a promo in the early days of PWG making the rounds on Twitter. In this case, he appears to be simply laying low until the the heat hopefully dies down as opposed to having been suspended. In any event, the key fact of the matter is that Human Tornado, the black wrestler at whom the promo was directed, was the top babyface in PWG at the time and frequently requested that heels cut race-baiting promos on him, including the n-word. That obviously doesn't excuse it, but an in-character heel promo at a wrestling event is a far cry from something like the Hogan tape. Companies need to stop allowing obvious bad-faith actors to weaponize outrage.

14 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

In other news, it seems that Excalibur is the latest casualty of woke capitalism. (...) Companies need to stop allowing obvious bad-faith actors to weaponize outrage.

I was wondering why he was not there and his absence was not addressed.

I couldn't not agree more. The level of hypocrisy is astounding. 

That being said, it will probably be a matter of a few weeks before everybody forgets about it and moves on to the next fake outrage.

The most ironic thing is *I guess* a good number of people digging this are WWE fanboys. I mean, why else bother ? And really, when you are financially supporting a company that is doing propaganda (just doing the shows out there is propaganda work) for a regime (and its leader) which is legally murdering homosexuals, having a nice genocidal war in Yemen and treating their women as third rate citizens... ya know... old clips on Twitter from guys "saying bad words 10 years ago"... well... you really should just shut the fuck up and question your "wokeness"...

Good on the Eddie signing. Saw him at an IWA Mid-South show in 2004 with Marciano as the Wild Cards. Some dude next to me was razzing them, so they marched up the bleachers to give him the what-for.

I laughed as they went back and forth. Then I just blurted out, "Hey! These guys didn't pay for their seats!" And Eddie yelled at me to shut up, biting his lip afterward.

15 minutes ago, El-P said:

The most ironic thing is *I guess* a good number of people digging this are WWE fanboys. I mean, why else bother ?

Maybe, but then they are roping in Owens with that too since he was involved so even that blows up in their faces if that was the goal. 

Owens spoke about it in (I think) a shoot interview where he said he had to be talked into it and it was one of those things that the moment he did it he realized it was a bad idea. 

Regarding other topics:

Kingston being signed is the best news of 2020 so far. Him being on a national level working for a promotion that won't spend all their time watering him down will be nothing short of amazing.

Also Taz is absolutely great at his job right now. Not only can he step in for the lead commentator while still maintaining his heel persona, he's got Brian Cage established as a draw in a matter of weeks. Having Ricky Starks in his group is a good move too. Have Taz establish him to the AEW crowd and eventually he can be split off since he doesn't need a mouthpiece speaking for him. 

Oh yeah, give MJF all  the belts too. 

24 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Maybe, but then they are roping in Owens with that too since he was involved so even that blows up in their faces if that was the goal. 

Ok then. Whatever they are, they are pests and idiots.

24 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Kingston being signed is the best news of 2020 so far. Him being on a national level working for a promotion that won't spend all their time watering him down will be nothing short of amazing.

Not to mention wasn't he supposed to retire like two years ago ?

25 minutes ago, El-P said:

Ok then. Whatever they are, they are pests and idiots.

Not to mention wasn't he supposed to retire like two years ago ?

This year I believe was supposed to be his last year but he said that his brother talked him out of retiring and give it another chance. And it definitely paid off. This couldn't have ended my week any better!