Pro Wrestling Only

Conrad Thompson set to expand his podcast schedule with new shows

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I don’t listen to pro wrestling podcasts anymore but even if I did, the last person I would want to hear from would be Jake Roberts. I saw him when he was on Joe Rogan‘s podcast and he is just notoriously full of shit. I don’t mind DDP, but I don’t think I need to hear his relentlessly positive crap for an hour.

1 hour ago, The Thread Killer said:

Yeah, I don’t listen to pro wrestling podcasts anymore but even if I did, the last person I would want to hear from would be Jake Roberts. I saw him when he was on Joe Rogan‘s podcast and he is just notoriously full of shit. I don’t mind DDP, but I don’t think I need to hear his relentlessly positive crap for an hour.

Jake's voice is also toast. Not pleasant to listen to for sixth minutes. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So it sounds like Conrad is starting a podcast with William Regal. I am all over that sumbitch. I know Mick Foley is going to be starting a podcast soon as well (“Foley is Pod”) but I don’t know if it’s with Conrad’s company. I know they have both mentioned working together in the past, but I don’t know if they have made a deal.

By my count, that’s…

- Prichard

- Schiavone

- Bischoff

- JR

- Jarrett

- Angle

- DDP & Jake Roberts

- Flair

And now Regal for sure and maybe Foley. That’s nuts. No wonder Conrad has been handing off co-hosting duties to Paul Bromwell on a lot of these shows lately. That’s an insane amount of content, not even including all the stuff he is doing with AFS.

It's getting really, really ridiculous. After not listening to any of his stuff for ever, I've been binging the Jarrett one and it's by far the best stuff he has done since the early Brucie ones (which were chockfull of bullshit but entertaining nonetheless). Regal.... fuuuuuck I dunno how I'm gonna pass at least giving it a try. Although since I have about zero interest in 00's and beyond WWE, I guess I'm not sure how much of it I would really want to listen if they overdue than kind of topics. Surely the Europe and WCW stuff is super interesting to me.

20 hours ago, sek69 said:

Has Conrad ever talked about either stepping back from his mortgage gig to devote more time to this,  or somehow expanding his co host pool at least? 

I am not an AFS subscriber anymore, but back when I was, I used to listen to the monthly Q&A podcast that Conrad did with the members. He was asked just that question at one point. I don’t know if his attitude has changed, but back then Conrad made it very clear that he will never give up on his mortgage company. He very honestly pointed out that he actually got into the podcast business to help promote his mortgage company. He has been able to use the publicity from these podcasts to expand his business into practically every state. I know he acts like an “aw shucks” country boy, but his business is so successful that he is a legit millionaire at this point. He made it pretty clear he is never walking away from that. Plus, I remember he and Bischoff candidly discussing the fact that the whole Pro Wrestling podcast bubble is bound to burst sooner or later, so he doesn’t want to hitch his wagon to that at the expense of his family business.

As far as new co-hosts, he seems to be trying to do that with Paul Bromwell, but I am not sure the fans are crazy about that. 

I’d say Conrad should just hire Kris Zellner but really what he should do is make it a big contest for his subscribers to see who will become a host. You have to be a certain level to apply and a lesser level to vote on it, etc. He’d make a mint from people who want to be part of it all.

3 hours ago, El-P said:

It's too bad Sean Oliver didn't see the podcast bubble coming, because he would have probably been doing awesome interviews. 

I was all in when Sean Oliver first debuted his new podcast, but that thing ran out of steam really quickly. His heart just wasn’t in it, you could tell. He is now a published author, in addition to his nonfiction books he has written about pro wrestling, he has also written several thriller novels which have apparently sold fairly well, so I think he just doesn’t care about pro wrestling as much anymore, which is a shame because I agree with you, he would be great hosting some of those shows on AFS. I was always a big fan of Sean Oliver and would have loved to have seen/heard him on some of those podcasts.

49 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I’d say Conrad should just hire Kris Zellner but really what he should do is make it a big contest for his subscribers to see who will become a host. You have to be a certain level to apply and a lesser level to vote on it, etc. He’d make a mint from people who want to be part of it all.

The problem is, Conrad Thompson has pretty bad taste when it comes to what personalities to bring into his shows. Let’s be honest. This is a guy that thinks The Casio Kid is funny and a good personality to be a guest on his shows at times.

Paul Bromwell just strikes me as bland, unremarkable and uninteresting with a kind of easy listening FM radio DJ type of vibe. Whereas The Casio Kid is…yeesh.

Jon Alba is doing a decent job with his duties on the Matt Hardy show.

The new Road Dogg show is off to a solid start, too.

But yes. Nothing compares to Stories With Briscoe & Bradshaw. Even when it's an unremarkable episode, the atmosphere and the energy surrounding their banter and their reminiscing is pure joy. But usually you'll get a guest with surprisingly awesome stories and fun times to be had.

On 4/17/2022 at 5:48 PM, El-P said:

It's too bad Sean Oliver didn't see the podcast bubble coming, because he would have probably been doing awesome interviews. 

Funny timing after all. Sean Oliver just posted a picture on Twitter of he and Kevin Nash setting up what looks like a podcast rig, with the question: “Why are these men setting up a studio?”

Kevin Nash is notoriously full of shit, but if you accept that going in, he is also an extremely entertaining and engaging interview. If those two teamed up for a podcast I have to admit I would give it a listen. I wouldn’t believe a damn thing that came out of Nash’s mouth, but it would be a lot of fun to listen to, I bet.

Just now, The Thread Killer said:

Funny timing after all. Sean Oliver just posted a picture on his Twitter of he and Kevin Nash setting up what looks like a podcast rig, with the question: “Why are these men setting up a studio?”

Kevin Nash is notoriously full of shit, but if you accept that going in, he is also an extremely entertaining and engaging interview. If those two teamed up for a podcast I have to admit I would give it a listen. I wouldn’t believe a damn thing that came out of Nash’s mouth, but it would be a lot of fun to listen to I bet.

Oh wow. Yeah, Nash is a bullshitter, but him & Sean always had great chemistry back in the days, not of the territories, but of KC. Yep, that's a podcast I would definitely give a listen to.

8 minutes ago, El-P said:

Oh wow. Yeah, Nash is a bullshitter, but him & Sean always had great chemistry back in the days, not of the territories, but of KC. Yep, that's a podcast I would definitely give a listen to.

That’s the thing, right? If you accept going into it that the guys are probably going to be lying, or bullshitting, or have faulty memory, or are being general carnies, you can still enjoy the thing for the entertainment value at least. And based on the work they have done together so far for KC, they have great chemistry and it would be extremely entertaining to listen to. 

I don’t mind being lied to if you are at least entertaining about it! It would be like the exact opposite of Vince Russo, for example. Pretty much everything that comes out of his mouth is total crap, but on top of that he is obnoxious and unlikable. Nash is one of those guys who I probably shouldn’t like, but he is so charming it’s hard to dislike him. Plus he is very funny, and a great storyteller. And as you alluded to earlier @El-P, Sean Oliver is miles ahead of Conrad (and pretty much anybody else you could get to host a podcast.)

• 4 weeks later...

via 411:

Big Sexy is set to join the world of podcasting. CuCommunications and Podcast Heat have announced that Kevin Nash will launch his own podcast this summer. ‘Kliq This: The Kevin Nash Podcast’ will launch on July 11 and be co-hosted by Sean Oliver. Here’s a press release:

“Kliq This: The Kevin Nash Podcast” Set to Join Podcast Heat

Kevin Nash and Sean Oliver team up for weekly podcast

Former World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) and World Championship Wrestling (WCW) heavyweight champion, original New World Order (NWO) member, and WWE Hall of Famer, “Big Sexy” Kevin Nash is set to jack-knife power bomb the podcast world with the launch of “Kliq This: The Kevin Nash Podcast.” Starting on July 11, Nash, along with co-host Sean Oliver (Kayfabe Commentaries), will bring their uncensored and unfiltered conversations to Podcast Heat, with new episodes dropping every Monday on both audio and video podcast outlets.

“Kliq This listeners will get a magical mystery tour into all aspect of life,” said Nash. “No topic is off limits or out of bounds. We will be pop culture driven, but not too timid to attack today’s current cancel culture.”

“Kliq This will be the best of what fans loved about our shoot interviews together, just on a much broader scale,” added Oliver. “Fans will slide up to the bar next to Kevin and me for banter and guests ranging from the stars of wrestling, to entertainment, to music and Lord knows what else.”

“Before podcasting became common place for professional wrestling, Sean Oliver and his Kayfabe Commentaries shoot interviews were the fans ‘go-to’ for behind-the-scenes stories and information,” said Podcast Heat founder Dave Greene. “And of all his interviews, Sean’s conversations with Kevin Nash were can’t miss. I can’t wait to hear what these guys have in store when the conversations can extend beyond just professional wrestling.”

To interact with “Kliq This: The Kevin Nash Podcast” on Twitter, follow @KliqThisPodcast.

• 2 weeks later...

Fuuuck. This guy still has any time left ?

I've been really enjoying the Jarrett podcast, mostly the TNA stuff which is fascinating. Now that Jarrett is back working with WWE, maybe this won't be as good, I dunno.

I'm guessing Regal will be a great guest, but when I think of it, apart from old tells from England and the WCW years, I really have no interest in post 00's WWE stuff. I wasn't a NXT close watcher either.

Foley, well, he's been around forever doing interviews. Probably a fine guest to, but do I want to hear stuff about the Attitude Era again and again ? Not too sure. The ECW, Japan, indies and WCW stuff on the other hand.

Hopefully some good soul will want to listen to those and report what they think of it, I don't think I'm diving in either of them from the get-go.

On 5/28/2022 at 5:49 AM, El-P said:

Fuuuck. This guy still has any time left ?

It looks like Conrad is starting to hand off some of his hosting duties. He still technically cohosts the Prichard podcast, but I heard they just taped a ton of those in advance because Brucie is very rarely available. But I would imagine Conrad will continue to host that show if at all possible, considering it is pretty much his flagship podcast.

Conrad still does the weekly watch along podcast with Tony Schiavone, as far as I can tell. Ditto 83 Weeks with Eric Bischoff. I think he continues to do those shows because 83 Weeks has also pretty much moved to an all watch along format. I would imagine Conrad does not need to do much preparation or research to simply sit there and comment during a watch along.

Paul Bromwell is a friend of Conrad’s who did business with him, and when Ad Free Shows got off the ground Conrad hired him to help run it. He has slowly started filling in for Conrad when needed, but to be honest it seems like he has pretty much taken over as the permanent cohost of JR, Kurt Angle and Arn’s shows. A lot of fans seem to hate this guy. He does have a voice like a bad FM radio DJ…he sounds kind of smarmy and disingenuous, so I can see why people don’t like him, and prefer Conrad. I don’t know if it is true, but I get the impression he doesn’t know anything about pro wrestling. JR and Arn’s shows have gotten beyond stale anyhow. Neither of them sound like they even want to be there, at least they haven’t the last few times I have checked in and tried to listen. And Bromwell being the cohost sure ain’t helping things.

Conrad seems to be sticking to co-hosting Jeff Jarrett’s shows and the DDP/Jake Roberts show as well. And of course, Conrad is doing the Ric Flair podcast as well. He can’t pawn his Father-in-Law off on Paul Bromwell. Even though I bet he would like to.

Conrad has hired an indie announcer named Jon Alba to co-host Matt Hardy’s podcast. Alba is pretty good. He at least sounds like a professional. Conrad has hired him to do a couple of other exclusive interviews and one shot podcasts for AFS. Road Dogg now has a podcast and it is co-hosted by some guy named Ryan Katz or something like that. That dude is awful. I guess he used to wrestle in XPW and worked behind the scenes in NXT later. I don’t really have any desire to listen to a Brian James podcast, but even if I did I could never listen to it with this guy as the cohost.

I assumed that Conrad would be cohosting the two new shows but I don’t think he will be. It sounds like Matt Koon is going to be co-hosting the Regal pod. So I guess he and Conrad are working together again. I know he used to work for him back in the very early days of STW, but then he left. Koon isn’t bad as a cohost. I think his background is in advertising and music but he seems to know a bit about broadcasting.

I don’t know who will be cohosting the Foley pod, but I sure hope it’s somebody good and not Bromwell or Katz.

Bottom line is, the AFS lineup is now:

• Something To Wrestle
  • 83 Weeks
  • Grilling JR
  • My World with Jeff Jarrett
  • What Happened When
  • ARN
  • The Kurt Angle Show
  • DDP Snake Pit
  • To Be The Man
  • Oh...You Didn't Know
  • The Extreme Life of Matt Hardy