Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - September 9, 2020

MoS

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wanted to mention seeing Tay Conti get overwhelmed with emotion coming out for her first match after being officially signed was a nice little real moment. A lot of people assumed she wasn't going to stick with wrestling after getting released, but she stuck with it and ended up in a better position for herself as a result.

In a business that sometimes seems like an endless world of shit, it was really touching seeing someone have a good moment.

7 hours ago, sek69 said:

Wanted to mention seeing Tay Conti get overwhelmed with emotion coming out for her first match after being officially signed was a nice little real moment. A lot of people assumed she wasn't going to stick with wrestling after getting released, but she stuck with it and ended up in a better position for herself as a result.

In a business that sometimes seems like an endless world of shit, it was really touching seeing someone have a good moment.

Late last year she showed initiative in filing her US work visa herself when it came due. Instead of letting WWE renew it as her work sponsor. That really saved her when she got released as if she didn't do that she probably would have had to leave the US and go back to Brazil. 

I've been a Conti fan ever since the last Mae Young Classic. I even thought she acquitted herself well in that atrocious tag team tournament. She's still rough around the edges, but she's awesome when she's ragdolling people with judo throws and takedowns. Having her debut against Nyla Rose was like having Rey Mysterio debut against Dean Malenko.

22 hours ago, sek69 said:

I guess we've all turned heel on AEW? Suddenly Miro cutting the same promo others have done is LOLTNA stuff? 

Yeah. Miro is basically cutting the Sean Waltman promo in 1998 and people are bitching and referring to TNA. :rolleyes: The Sabian connection makes all the sense in the world since Miro basically worked everyone with his "I'm a pro-streamer now" and Kip's gimmick now is all about Twitch, plus it wraps up the WWE shitposting angle. Also, Kip Sabian is totally overplaying the dork in him while he's dating Penelope Ford IRL, so, really people, get over it, Kip is winning at life right now... Miro playing off his shitty WWE stuff is akin Brodie Lee doing Vince in vignette for a while, and look where he is now. Miro will be fine. 

The Matt Hardy interview was pretty much perfect, I thought it was classy to have Reby over there.

Good for Tay Conti. Good for Thunder Rosa. Glad for both !

Almost one year of AEW TV and it's been mostly awesome. Waited almost 20 years for it, won't let overblown negativity for small details ruin my fun, really...

2 hours ago, El-P said:

Yeah. Miro is basically cutting the Sean Waltman promo in 1998 and people are bitching and referring to TNA. :rolleyes:

Precisely my point. It's a 1998 Sean Waltman promo in 2020. That "I've got some things to get off my chest about that other promotion" shit is beyond played out. It's as lame as doing crotch chops. Moxley and Brodie Lee hinted at that approach, but they also came across as dangerous men with chips on their shoulders. Miro didn't do anything to make you think he's going to be a serious asskicker. AEW has earned the benefit of the doubt, so I'm willing to let things play out. But right before joining the company, he tried to pick a fight with Meltzer over his reporting on Lana and produced a video calling Randy Orton the greatest heel of all time, so I'm fearing the worst.

They've earned some goodwill but these past couple of weeks have been total stinkers. I made the comment in jest but Tony Khan having to concentrate on getting Fulham ready for the Premier League has coincided with it, not to mention Cody being missing. In it's place we've had a ton of gimmicks and way too much shitty comedy that thinks it's funny. I'm hoping that they dial it back a bit when Archer/Moxley and Omega/Page get going. Giving Kingston something to sink his teeth into would help too since Fenix/Pentagon could be a good feud with him in the middle, playing them off each other to get what he wants.

And yeah, Miro with Kip Sabian of all people feels like a rib on me. Unless this ends with him stealing Penelope Ford and throwing Sabian into the sea. As mentioned, Jericho/Hager should be Jericho/Sammy since it's the far more entertaining pair. It says a lot when Joey Janela's heat segments are becoming the best parts of the show.

6 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

Precisely my point. It's a 1998 Sean Waltman promo in 2020. (...) Moxley and Brodie Lee hinted at that approach, 

And Cody. And Dustin. And FTR... And the Bucks have been making fun of WWE's stuff forever in BTE. It's part of the game. It's expected to get a line or two like that, especially when a guy like Miro shows up (Matt Cardona, yeah, much less so I will say and that would be more like TNA).

2 hours ago, C.S. said:

You're defending Russo-style promos in 2020. You realize that, right?

No. Because this was not a "Russo-style promo". I've probably endured more Russo-style promo than anyone on this forum in the last 10 years, so I know one when I see one. This was the requisite "fuck that other company" lines that you'd expect from a guy like him coming to AEW, that's all. Nothing to get worked up about.

Hey, maybe Miro will flop and be exposed as someone who was totally protected by WWE's formula. But at this time, it's impossible to say. Also, him coming as yet another kick-ass MF straight away would be kinda redondant. Mox did it. Brodie Lee did it. Lance Archer did it. Brian Cage did it. People complained (yes, it did happen) that AEW had no big guys and only "small indie geeks doing flips", but now the company has reached the point where they actually have almost too much big guys kicking ass around.

Actually, a promotion that consists entirely of the Elite being murdered by brawlers and hosses sounds like the perfect 2020 pro wrestling promotion to me. Also, I've never seen so much as a millisecond of BTE, so what happens there has no impact on my enjoyment. They can do all the dorky shit they want on a non-canon Internet show.

Moving on, I continue to maintain that Vickie Guerrero brings absolutely nothing to the table. Jake Roberts and Tully Blanchard have been cutting awesome promos, but it's questionable whether those promos have been getting their clients over. Vickie doesn't even do that. She just screeches a catchphrase that jumped the shark a decade ago.

14 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Moving on, I continue to maintain that Vickie Guerrero brings absolutely nothing to the table. Jake Roberts and Tully Blanchard have been cutting awesome promos, but it's questionable whether those promos have been getting their clients over. Vickie doesn't even do that. She just screeches a catchphrase that jumped the shark a decade ago.

Well, I agree 200% with you on this. I was doubtful at first. Since then, she has done exactly nothing but, like you said, using an annoying gimmick catchphrase that reeks of 2000's WWE, which is the last thing I want from AEW. There are plenty of women who would be actually interesting as a manager (I dunno, Veda Scott for one since she was just on TV), this leads to nothing and actually hurts Nyla's aura to me.

Wow! Just watched the Miro promo and either I have gone soft or I’m insane but I feel like people are making a mountain out of a mole hill. He had what 3 sentences about WWE. It was necessary and real. He is pissed. He talked about DEVOURING people in the ring and being ELITE. There were NO jokes. It was a straight ahead, efficient promo. What’s the big deal? What’s people major malfunction?

Maybe it would have landed better if it wasn't as part of a bad WWE segment with Kip Sabian goofing about in the background. It's not the end of the world but that was a terrible way to introduce the biggest (non-Brock) free agent in wrestling. In that one segment, AEW made Miro feel like less of a star than the company he hates even did.

35 minutes ago, Superstar Sleeze said:

Wow! Just watched the Miro promo and either I have gone soft or I’m insane but I feel like people are making a mountain out of a mole hill. He had what 3 sentences about WWE. It was necessary and real. He is pissed. He talked about DEVOURING people in the ring and being ELITE. There were NO jokes. It was a straight ahead, efficient promo. What’s the big deal? What’s people major malfunction?

Three letters : A.E.W.. Since DAY 1, people have been doing that about the promotion. Remember when THE LIBRARIANS were gonna drive people away and how this gimmick was gonna KILL THE PROMOTION AND NO ONE WOULD WATCH IT BECAUSE OF THIS SO IMPORTANT GARBAGE GIMMICK ? Yeah. Fun days. Oh, and when Kenny Omega let Angels (who got a job of out it) kick-out of a non-finisher, how that was THE END FOR KENNY OMEGA OH MY GOD HE'S DONE HE KILLED HIS FINISHER (which it wasn't, but, oh well) HE'S A DORK NOW ? Endless "debates" about this absolute non-event for days. It happens all the time with AEW. It's completely ridiculous, but that's the way it is. Probably won't end either. To me 20 years of WWE monopoly has screwed-up people's mind quite a bit (BUT : apparently people are ok with JR sucking and stuff like that)

21 minutes ago, Badlittlekitten said:

Maybe it would have landed better if it wasn't as part of a bad WWE segment with Kip Sabian goofing about in the background. It's not the end of the world but that was a terrible way to introduce the biggest (non-Brock) free agent in wrestling. 

I doubt he was the hottest free-agent anywhere but in the minds of hardcore fans. In the WWE, Rusev had been a complete afterthought for *ever* before he got his last big angle which was all about him losing his wife to Lashley and having a bunch of totally forgettable matches. Yes, he was one of the biggest names *for hardcores*, and hardcores certainly dug the dig at WWE (it's the old ECW mentality, really). It's not like he was a main-eventer in WWE. He never was. He peaked as far as status on the card when he fought Cena... that's YEARS ago. If you consider kayfabe, FTR were arguably much bigger deals than Rusev thanks to their NXT aura (which also assured they would fit in AEW), and they did get the tag team titles recently before they left. Rusev, much like Cardona (I'm obviously not saying it's *the same*), is a guy who got over much bigger than his push. But the last memorable thing he did in WWE was a stupid wedding angle, after years of doing nothing of note, really. The fact he's introduced in AEW in a wedding angle is total meta-work, and actually I find that really funny and smart.

Yeah, as I said before, ths problem was not the promo as much as the fact that he debuted in a terrible WWE-esque wedding segment that might be the worst segment AEW has ever done. When Pillman Jr. and the jobbers were doing their sorry shtick, I was reminded of the Mick Foley this is your life segment for John Cena that was so famously terrible Cena actually said on air that it was worse than Katie Vick. He debuts as part of a joke angle with a complete dork, for some reason cuts a really serious promo for 30 seconds, and then goes back to doing awful comedy again. None of it ended up meaning anything imo. It doesn't mean I am no longer excited for Miro in AEW, but it was a lame way of debuting him.

6 hours ago, El-P said:

I doubt he was the hottest free-agent anywhere but in the minds of hardcore fans. In the WWE, Rusev had been a complete afterthought for *ever* before he got his last big angle which was all about him losing his wife to Lashley and having a bunch of totally forgettable matches. Yes, he was one of the biggest names *for hardcores*, and hardcores certainly dug the dig at WWE (it's the old ECW mentality, really). It's not like he was a main-eventer in WWE. He never was. He peaked as far as status on the card when he fought Cena... that's YEARS ago. If you consider kayfabe, FTR were arguably much bigger deals than Rusev thanks to their NXT aura (which also assured they would fit in AEW), and they did get the tag team titles recently before they left. Rusev, much like Cardona (I'm obviously not saying it's *the same*), is a guy who got over much bigger than his push. But the last memorable thing he did in WWE was a stupid wedding angle, after years of doing nothing of note, really. The fact he's introduced in AEW in a wedding angle is total meta-work, and actually I find that really funny and smart.

Eh? FTR signed months ago. Rusev is a bigger name no matter how you look at it. As bad as the wedding stuff was it was the main event angle on Raw for months. 

Fair enough if you found it funny but the segment was a mess. Meta stuff is fine when it's worked into an established story. But this? It's ripping off a bad angle with another bad angle for the sake of laughs, and not much more thought was put into it. I mean, what's Miro's relationship with Kip and where the hell did it come from? Why is he cutting a babyface promo? Who the hell is Puff? Why are we suddenly supposed to care about whatever Kip Sabian is doing when he's been a complete non-entity since the start of Dynamite?

It's like they wanted to be meta, funny and 'smart' and forgot about making it make sense. 

I'm not sure if its the worst segment in AEW history but it's easily their biggest misfire.