Pro Wrestling Only

G1 Climax 30

FMKK

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished work in time to catch Cobb v White, switched over to AJPW TV, marked out like a little kid watching the CC final, then switched back just in time to catch the start of Ospreay v Ibushi. Pretty good time to finish work early-ish then be stuck at home in front of the computer screen!! Both G1 matches were very enjoyable. 

As for the CC: Baba, Abdullah, Jumbo, Hansen, Kawada, Misawa, Taue, Vader, Kobashi, Tenryu, Mutoh, Kensuke, Suwama, MiSu, Akiyama, Sekimoto, Ishikawa...

Spoiler

...and my old friend Zeus!!!!

Was overall a good show. Everything was worth watching except Shingo-Yujiro which is officially the worst match of the tournament thus far. I enjoyed the ME's but wasn't blown away by them either. Okada-Suzuki was a condensed version of their usual formula. Cobb-Jay had effective and clever circumvention of Gedo interference spots.

Night 9 - A Block

Shingo Takagi vs Yujiro Takahashi - **3/4

Shingo tried here and he moved with his usual explosiveness. Unfortunately, Yujiro moved with his usual laxness. Guy is moving through treacle. While there were some nice moments, Yujiro whiffed on like 3 or 4 spots and really has no business ever going past ten minutes.

Jeff Cobb vs Jay White - ***1/4

Cobb had some nice power spots here and was a bit more interesting because you had Jay trying to circumvent them with his craftiness. I love the spot where Cobb pulls the guy from the corner by their feet into his arms for a big slam. Jay dumping him on his head with a straightjacket German was sick too. Good match.

Minoru Suzuki vs Kazuchika Okada - ***1/4

As was said before, they did a condensed version of their usual structure. As with lots of Okada matches in this storyline, it feels like we're getting the slow build of his usual big matches but then it ends before it truly kicks into high gear. I'm glad Suzuki didn't tap to that shitty Money Clip and taught him how to hook in some decent looking submissions before it was over though.

Tomohiro Ishii vs Taichi - ****1/4

Big Tom Ishii is coming for his MVP crown. This match ruled and Taichi was awesome in it as well. It was pretty much what one imagines from an Ishii G1 match but I love what Tachi can add with his cross between being a sleazy cheating heel and then being an asskicker when required. He hits some great high kicks when he's on. However, his short trunks are grotesque. This was an excellent match from two men who have been performing well so far.

Kota Ibushi vs Will Ospreay - ****1/4

This was a nice contrast to their match from last year's tournament, where Kota beat the shit out of an injured Ospreay. This time, the more beefy and way more obnoxious Ospreay imposed himself to start, showing off his new power and his heightened arrogance. Once Ibushi got back into the match, there were some excellent athletic exchanges and hard strikes. These guys are muscular as fuck but can still fly around the ring with the best of them.

1 hour ago, Badlittlekitten said:

How is the atmosphere for these shows? Does it distract from the action? I'm thinking of checking some of these matches out, but that aspect makes me hesitant to dive in.

If you haven't watched anything it'll take a minute to get used to. And there are times when you can tell that something would get a big reaction and the crowds just can't give it. So it knocks like a 1/4* off the matches if you're a ratings guy. But the top stuff is still absolutely worth watching. There's been top quality stuff on almost every show.

Not even memeing, Taichi is my favorite wrestler in New Japan, perhaps even overall. I greatly appreciate the fact that he doesn't go out there trying to prove he's the toughest man in the world or be too cool for school like the Bullet Club. Plus, he's a sleazy loser who deep down is desperate for Kawada's approval. That's just a great character regardless of what you think of him in the ring.

3 hours ago, Boss Rock said:

YOSHI-HASHI has over-achieved in G1's before, but man he is on a run isn't he? I wouldn't quite say he's the block MVP, but everything besides the Juice match has been well worth watching. The Naito match is probably his career best.

I actually preferred the Tanahashi match a couple days ago, but had the same general thought.  Simple layouts for all of his block matches but he and his opponents have made the most of them.  Crazy to think that at the halfway point you can easily argue Y-H has had a better G1 than Okada, but here we are.  

Night 10 - B Block

Hirooki Goto vs Toru Yano - no rating

This was too short to rate. Goto is obviously hurt and I hope he doesn't have to forfeit but it is kinda refreshing to have super quick matches in New Japan.

Sanada vs Zack Sabre Jr. - ***1/2

The usual good technical exchange between these two. I love how Zack is never sitting still in a submission, whether he's applying it or being put in it. He's always looking to improve his position. I also love how his ten second dragon sleeper was better than any from Sanada's career. Sanada's move to set up the finish was pretty cool though.

Juice Robinson vs Evil - ***1/4

Juice really ought to buy dinner for the young lion (Gabriel Kidd I think) who kept getting the Queen clapping gimmick started up for him. It really made the crowd seem engaged in his comebacks and goofy facial expressions in a way they haven't so far. Evil, as usual, was an absolute charisma void opposite him. Decent basic match.

Yoshi-Hashi vs Tetsuya Naito - ***1/2

Quite a few people were going four stars on this and I think there was that level of match in there if they had trimmed the fat. As it stands, I don't need to see 25 minute Y-H matches. I get the Goto match was super short and they were compensating but still. Plus, the Butterfly Lock submission was such a momentum killer. How is it even supposed to be hurting anyone? This company loves shitty submissions. This was another nice underdog performance by Yoshi-Hashi, this time taking to to the champ. But the long runtime held it back.

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Kenta - ****

Two experienced pros went out there and had a very strong main event. It was a basic enough babyface vs heel match, with Kenta spending most of his time targeting Tana's knee. Tanahashi had his customary vocal selling and fiery comebacks. His hair was something else here. Very good match.

11 hours ago, WingedEagle said:

Its been fine.  But given the standard that he and the others at the top of the card have set over the last decade its been a disappointment thus far.

I think he's been the biggest victim of some match construction choices that seem to be all over the shows so far. They have really, really been pulling back on the length of the finishing sequences, and since that's something Okada is a master of, I think his matches are suffering.

I'm not sure why so many of the big matches feel like they've had truncated finishing stretches. A few theories (and it may be a combination):

1) They're trying to keep the shows shorter and trimming the matches

2) They don't want to burn a lot of kick outs for crowds that can't fully react to them

3) They feel like the style has pushed the finisher kick outs too far and they're trying to dial it back

Night 11 - A Block

Yujiro Takahashi vs Tomohiro Ishii - ***1/4

Yujiro is definitely trying in this tournament but idk, the guy just has no crispness and no fire so there's a ceiling on everything he does. He jumps Ishii early and works on him loads, complete with dramatic neck and arm selling from Ishii. There's also an incredible headbutt spot. Good enough match but a tournament low for Ishii.

Kazuchika Okada vs Jeff Cobb - ***1/4

Again, a nicely worked match without being anything special and again Okada doesn't really get out of second gear. Cobb has some impressive athletic and power spots as always and Okada only going for the Money Clip once is hopefully a sign it'll soon be consigned to the past.

Minoru Suzuki vs Will Ospreay - ****

I have a feeling that this match might be divisive. Suzuki spent most of the first half basically torturing Will's arm. Some people might not like his selling but he did a good job with it imo and although he still did some moves with the arm, I'm happy to believe that Will Ospreay is dumb enough to go for spots that are bad for his health. And tbf, he didn't get all his shit in or anything. Suzuki was game here and Will stepped it up to match him in the strike battles. Very good match.

Jay White vs Taichi - ****

This was really fun as two of the sleaziest heel bullshitters tried to out-sleazy heel bullshit each other. Jay pointing Taichi's mic at him and telling him to sing when he was lying dead on the floor was great. As was Taichi putting his bullshit experience to good use to overcome the Gedo run in. Taichi is good when he gets into serious fighting mode as well, with great kicks and lariats. You could tell the clap crowd was into it because they stomped their feet on some near falls. I'd like to see these two work a programme in future.

Kota Ibushi vs Shingo Takagi - ****1/4

Shingo is awesome because he can play the bully so well in spite of not actually being that big. He dominated Ibushi for most of the first ten minutes. Then they pretty much went toe to toe for the second half. They slowly built things up til the crowd were again stomping their feet for the nearfalls. The actual finish got as close to a pop as we're going to see right now. There were a couple of moments were Kota was a bit less crisp than usual but they didn't really detract. And it felt like they left some stuff on the table for more matches.