Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 10/12 - 10/18 JaVale McGee has three more rings than Karl Malone. Life is good!

KawadaSmile

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People who blindly stan Lebron as the GOAT have no idea about basketball pre-2000 and it shows. He's the best of his generation, sure. All time? Nah. He would probably struggle to make the all decade team of any timeframe prior to his debut. His biggest advantage is being the first star to bring the NBA back from the doldrums it was in when pretty much all the big names from the 80s-90s retired at nearly the same time and there were no stars in the league but Kobe.  

7 minutes ago, MoS said:

Why would anyone be bothered by Bron winning one more ring?

He has the best post-Finals quotes in NBA history. 

I hope this isn't "CLEVELAND, THIS IS FOR YOU!"

Also don't get me wrong, my issue with ring #4 is that Bron was featued in 9 of the past 10 finals. Supreme dominance in competitive sports leads to tons of fans and tons of detractors who just wanna see you fail.

He is on my Mount Rushmore along MJ, KAJ and Tim Duncan tho

5 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

I hope this isn't "CLEVELAND, THIS IS FOR YOU!"

Also don't get me wrong, my issue with ring #4 is that Bron was featued in 9 of the past 10 finals. Supreme dominance in competitive sports leads to tons of fans and tons of detractors who just wanna see you fail.

He is on my Mount Rushmore along MJ, KAJ and Tim Duncan tho

I meant his "..and I want my damn respect" yesterday. 

This goes along with "It's about damn time" after his first ring. 

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

He's the best of his generation, sure. All time? Nah. He would probably struggle to make the all decade team of any timeframe prior to his debut. 

There is being blinded by nostalgia and fondness for your childhood, and then there is......whatever this is 

3 minutes ago, MoS said:

There is being blinded by nostalgia and fondness for your childhood, and then there is......whatever this is 

Basketball isn't really a popular sport in my city, so I don't have any childhood fondness per see....I'm just a dude who grew up watching the Lakers-Celtics rivalry in the 80s and the Bulls/Knicks/Pistons/Jazz teams of the 90s. 

It's funny how people hear "Lebron is the best player today, but not better than every other player who ever played" as a statement of hateration. To me it's just a statement based on watching 30 odd years of basketball. I mean, I'm not saying he's trash compared to past players but I don't see any argument putting him above the Jordan/Bird/Dr J level of player.

11 minutes ago, sek69 said:

It's funny how people hear "Lebron is the best player today, but not better than every other player who ever played" as a statement of hateration. To me it's just a statement based on watching 30 odd years of basketball. I mean, I'm not saying he's trash compared to past players but I don't see any argument putting him above the Jordan/Bird/Dr J level of player.

To be fair to my post, you also said he would struggle to make the all-decade team of any timeframe prior to his debut. 

Players today are bigger, stronger, more physical, and more skilled imo. You have bigs that shoot 30 ppg. Bron has one of the most rounded skillsets I have ever seen, and his longevity is incredible. Jordan's peak was higher and Bron is not the offensive dynamo that Jordan was, but his defence is more versatile (if only due to his size), his playmaking is Magic/Bird level, and he now has all of them beaten for longevity.

I would put Jordan over him cuz Jordan was more clutch and had the ability to raise his game to a level almost unimaginable, and I think Bron is simply too nice and not enough of an asshole to achieve that. Altho I will say that if Jordan played in the social media era, he'd probably have had a meltdown within like 5 years of his NBA career.

That is possible, Jordan is a notoriously thin skinned asshole IRL It's also possible he would probably just turn his social media accounts over to an intern who just posts stale platitudes and birthday wishes like whoever runs Vince McMahon's account. 

Honestly it's difficult to compare players today to those from earlier eras. The game has changed a LOT in just the last decade or so. Big men shoot threes like they are going out of style and when previously most never took more than one step out of the paint. 

Lebron does have that elite ability to run things on the floor while also being able to play at the level he does. Dude just sees the game differently than anyone else out there, which is why he ends up being a player-coach wherever he goes. Magic used to have that same skill, he would do shit that didn't seem possible because he would see openings and make passes no one else did. 

19 minutes ago, Coffey said:

LeBron James is great. If someone wants to call him the best of all-time, fine. He has the numbers & longevity.

However, if anyone puts him behind Wilt, Bill Russell, Jordan, Kareem, Kobe, Tim Duncan... I certainly wouldn't tell them that they're wrong.

I will argue that I do not see an argument for Kobe over him. Russell and Wilt are way too difficult to compare so one way or another, I am not going to argue that. Kobe I just don't see.

Kobe and Lebron have very similar careers. Main difference IMO is that  Kobe started off on a successful team and Lebron frankly wasted the early part of his career on a Cavs team that couldn't be bothered to find anyone to complement the once in a lifetime talent that was gifted to them.  The fact that Lebron was able to do anything with the shitburger teams he was given in his first Cleveland run might be the greatest argument for his GOAT case. 

19 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Also, in wrestling related talk, why would either brand want to draft Retribution? It makes zero sense in a kayfabe sense for either show to want to have the group bent on destroying the company.

WWE drafting has never made sense. It was reasonable in 2002 cuz Steve Austin and Rock were on-par megastars that any one brand could have theoretically built around, but since then, it is basically spinning wheels and just hoping people don't question anything.