Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite Anniversary edition - October 14, 2020

MoS

Monty Brown was 15 years too early. Shows up in AEW in 2019 instead of TNA in the mid 00's = big star.

Anyhoo. It's been an awesome year, mostly. I pretty much "waited" 20 years for something like this, and it has pretty much exceeded all expectations I ever had. So yeah, long live AEW !

He would've been a star in basically any era, anywhere. He had one of the best finishers ever, looked incredible, OOZED charisma, and could talk.

Funnily enough, what took him out of pro wrestling was an indication of how great he is as a person - his sister died and he decided to take care of his family. To see him again, even in a two minute video, is enough for me to have a smile on my face.

This was a very good episode of Dynamite and more fittingly, a perfect microcosm of the promotion. Lots of swearing, some bad comedy, blood in the main event, good to great matches, and wrestlers cutting brilliant promos. Very fitting anniversary show.

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

On top of everything else, Eddie Kingston's jersey game is unmatched.

Can never go wrong with a vintage retro Montreal Expos Vladimir Guerrero jersey.

(Don't think for a second that wasn't the first thing I noticed when Eddie Kingston walked to the broadcast booth)

6 hours ago, El-P said:

. It's been an awesome year, mostly. I pretty much "waited" 20 years for something like this, and it has pretty much exceeded all expectations I ever had. So yeah, long live AEW !

Not to mention that (for me, at least) having something like AEW (and recently the G1) to look forward to has made getting through"these difficult times" so much easier and more fun. Week after week, they give us something to smile about. 

Thought just about every segment worked except that Jericho/MJF bit. MJF doing bad comedy and over rehearsed acting is exactly why everyone soured on the Moxley program. Coupled with Nick Jackson’s awful hidden camera style facial mugging over the last few weeks, there’s been some terrible acting in a promotion that has skilfully avoided it so far. I’m all in for Private Party besting the Bucks again though; that feels like something they could keep going with them being the Bucks’ bogey team.

Kingston should give Moxley his most engaging feud yet; the plan should be to give Eddie a mic every week while Moxley dispatches his stablemates and you’ve got a main event, baby.

Could do without a repeat of Cassidy/Cody since neither man should be losing. The time limit draw worked to protect both guys so running it again doesn’t seem to help. If we’re building to Darby winning the belt, him finally beating Cody feels like it should have more build behind it.

Mostly a terrific show. Best Friends vs FTR was terrific, Orange vs Cody was excellent and got better as it went (glad Cody went back to blondie too), Mox vs Archer was the expected brutality. I loved Jericho & MJF.  Miro killing people is gonna be so much fun and I like the gamer personna because, well, that's who he is. Eddie Kingston being a player on a major level in 2020 is so awesome.

However, it was a pretty poor showing for the women, and considering the number of actually really good stuff this first year with Riho's super fun underdog reign, Nyla showing up everytime, Penelope developing into a really solid worker in no time and of course Shida's excellent reign, you could not get a worse representation than this mach for the one-year anniversary. I realize Swole was part of the first bunch of signees when there was not much female talent available or something, but she is just *bad*, plain and simple. She has the distinction of having the worst feud of the company history thsu far against Baker and dragged Shida down to having an actual terrible match (after having also a bad match with Serena Deeb of all people). She hasn't improved one lick in the ring since she showed up, her so-called charisma is annoying to me, plus she's got that awful Kidman-like spot she does every time where she forces her opponent to do the exact same two counters so she can do her headbutt, her shit is sloppy most of the time, she's got bad timing, she fucks spots up all the time. Easily the worst (pushed or not) AEW performer to me. Why couldn't you get Nyla (Vickie is such an inept manager in kayfabe, here's another total useless character to me) or Ivelisse to kill it in the ring instead ? Meanwhile, IMPACT can have two legit good and interesting women matches (not to mention fun storylines) every week... When is Shanna coming back already ? Yep, that was a miss, a big one.

But enough negativity, AEW is a gift to pro-wrestling fan who were craving for a mainstream alternative, and in that one year they have mostly overdelivered to me, despite the terrible context. Kudos and hopefully it lasts long and gets only better.

AEW was clearly trying to have their women's division be mainly based on international talent from the UK and Japan, so of course it's going to take a massive hit in pandemic times. 

I suppose you could argue they should have been more proactive in getting US based talent once it was clear they wouldn't be able to fly anyone in, but I'm sure they didn't have "a pandemic wiped out all our plans for the women" contingency plan.