Pro Wrestling Only

NXT Halloween Havoc: Spin the Wheel, Make the Deal, Put on the Coal Miner's Glove

C.S.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, C.S. said:

Rhea is too good for NXT. 

She IS but there's been a generational shift at the same time. She suffers from a lot from social anxiety and can't deliver main roster length scripts due to a speech/learning impediment. A lot of her current persona is very carefully crafted to hide that - Rhea cites Scott Taylor/Scotty 2 Hotty for primarily helping her. Once she hits the main roster her skillset will be assessed on a  deficit-based.

33 minutes ago, rovert said:

She IS but there's been a generational shift at the same time. She suffers from a lot from social anxiety and can't deliver main roster length scripts due to a speech/learning impediment. A lot of her current persona is very carefully crafted to hide that - Rhea cites Scott Taylor/Scotty 2 Hotty for primarily helping her. Once she hits the main roster her skillset will be assessed on a  deficit-based.

Interesting. I had no idea about any of that. You certainly can't tell, based on how she's been presented so far.

I guess that explains why her big hype piece for the WrestleMania match was a carefully constructed and edited video package.

35 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Interesting. I had no idea about any of that. You certainly can't tell, based on how she's been presented so far.

I guess that explains why her big hype piece for the WrestleMania match was a carefully constructed and edited video package.

Yeah, Rhea is a borderline smoke and mirrors job. The Performance Center has a rep for being ineffectual. But they did give Rhea the confidence she so sadly lacked.

She was told she was dumb by the regressive formal education system she grew up in at an early age and deeply internalised it. All detailed here:

I'm in the midst of watching this show, was gonna wait, but after watching the Lumis fuckery I have to say this before I forget

I wish Lumis and Fiend and all these characters operated in a separate universe from the rest of WWE, off in their own dimension.  That is all.  I could possiblty enjoy it like I enjoyed the weird Japanese promotions, but most everything WWE touches turns to shit.  And then I'm looking at Lumis and I'm like, there's a definitely a way to use this guy who does a really good blank psycho stare and is very sound as a big man worker IMO, a good athlete, and really turn him into something without all the WWE fuck bullshit

anyway, I got more to say when I'm done with the show, but halfway into it spoiler alert it had me wanting to fast forward so I could get to watching AEW

quick thoughts, first show I've watched since last takeover

loved Io and Candace.  I never watched a lot of Joshi but Io looked so comfortable in a match like that it made me feel she was probably a fan of Onita/FMW, Big Japan and stuff like that.  I'd dare say she's better in gimmick matches than straight up one on one.  I bet she was a Tajiri fan too. 

i haven't seen much of Atlas but he seems to be a big fan of Steamboat and has a good babyface presence.  This match served it's purpose.  I think I'd want to see Atlas in a good babyface tag team, not sure who on the NXT roster would be the right pair.

I enjoyed Ripley and Gonzalez a lot.  I've seen very little of Gonzalez but I was impressed with her.  They had good chemistry and the dynamic between them worked because it isn't easy to get believable heat on Ripley.  It was striking to me tho how a year ago it seemed Ripley was on the verge of being a mega superstar, super over live, and now a year later she's basically in the same position but without the crowd.  It's been a wasted year for her unfortunately.

The piped in crowd noise is super noticable and annoying

that's all I got for now, I gotta go watch AEW

To be fair, Lumis was already doing basically the same gimmick in TNA/Impact under his real name. WWE just tweaked it to be less "possible sex predator" and more "possible serial killer".

He's one of the rare few people that WWE probably is the best place for him to be. He's really good at his character, and unlike Bray it doesn't hold him back in the ring.  Hell, if anything it was Cameron Grimes's overacting that was hurting the match for me. Instead of being a character in a horror film trying to escape the monster, he was hamming it up to the point William Shatner would probably tell him to reign it in a little. 

1 hour ago, cm funk said:

It was striking to me tho how a year ago it seemed Ripley was on the verge of being a mega superstar, super over live, and now a year later she's basically in the same position but without the crowd.  It's been a wasted year for her unfortunately.

Also this. It's been sort of mind boggling to me how little it gets mentioned how Rhea was the top star on the brand and it was flushed down the tubes to give Charlotte another Mania Moment that didn't even end up being all that great because it ended up in the PC instead of a stadium. 

I suppose there's probably folks in the company who don't think she can handle being a big star due to the issues rovert mentioned, but god damn that was some promotional malpractice. 

22 minutes ago, sek69 said:

To be fair, Lumis was already doing basically the same gimmick in TNA/Impact under his real name. WWE just tweaked it to be less "possible sex predator" and more "possible serial killer".

He's one of the rare few people that WWE probably is the best place for him to be. He's really good at his character, and unlike Bray it doesn't hold him back in the ring.  Hell, if anything it was Cameron Grimes's overacting that was hurting the match for me. Instead of being a character in a horror film trying to escape the monster, he was hamming it up to the point William Shatner would probably tell him to reign it in a little. 

the Grimes overacting was terrible and I FFd a lot of it.

The bottom line is if I was booking a wrestling promotion to my tastes I'd have Lumis as a guy in a heel stable who usually tags with someone, but when he gets into a blood feud it pays off with an FMW style chainsaw match with bombs and electric eel pits surrounding the ring