Pro Wrestling Only

NXT Halloween Havoc: Spin the Wheel, Make the Deal, Put on the Coal Miner's Glove

C.S.

12 hours ago, C.S. said:

*and a win for WWE in the Great Copyright Wars of 2020 between Jerry McDevitt and Cody Rhodes

Honestly, it's bullshit that either WWE or Cody can claim ownership of Dusty's ideas. There's no good reason for them not to have entered the public domain after his death.

Speaking of trademark shenanigans, Brendan Vink got his NXT name this week.

Tony Modra was a star player for the Adelaide Crows Australian rules football club during the 90s. Vink is from Adelaide, so it's like if a wrestler from Dallas were given the name Troy Aikman. More importantly, you can't trademark someone's name without their written consent. Needless to say, the real Modra was none too pleased when he found out about it.

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-icon-tony-modra-lashes-out-over-aussie-wwe-wrestlers-disrespectful-act-c-1472889

I hope he knows some good lawyers.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

Honestly, it's bullshit that either WWE or Cody can claim ownership of Dusty's ideas. There's no good reason for them not to have entered the public domain after his death.

You're not wrong, but what would happen then?

Would both companies use Halloween Havoc, Starrcade, etc.? 

And we're not even getting into the NWA, indies, etc. 

13 minutes ago, sek69 said:

WWE can't possibly own Dusty's name can they? He used it before ever going to WWE or any company WWE purchased.

It depends I think. I know New Jack talked about how when he was asked if he wanted to come back for the WWE version of ECW, one of the conditions was that you had to sign the rights away for your name. That’s why after the whole ECW experiment ended a lot of those guys couldn’t use their names anymore on the Indies.

I think it’s possible that a lot of talent signed agreements with WWE allowing use of their names in perpetuity in exchange for WWE selling merchandise with their name on it.

Of course, you would think that the death of the person would end that agreement, but maybe not. We don’t know what Dusty signed in order to work with Vince. Jim Cornette says Dusty used to say all the time that Vince was lucky Dusty never saved his money...implying that Dusty took the job for the money so who knows what he signed.

I seem to recall CM Punk saying when he was in WWE his contract gave the company rights to his name in terms of exclusive rights to merchandising and whatnot, but that he still had ownership of the name itself.I can't imagine WWE would give special dispensation to someone as....shall we say.....prickly as Punk,  so if they really had Dusty over a barrel like that it makes it even more sad (and kind of explains why Cody is so hellbent on getting his IP back).

Doesn't Samoa Joe own the rights to his name as well?

Might be that it became a more widespread thing after Dusty's passing? No idea. Still it fucking sucks that they got such a chokehold over a person's goddamn name.

In other news, people turned in to see NXT yesterday. Who knew that writing a fun and fresh show with nice ideas could lead to good things?

ALSO: Shotzi Blackheart

Strictly only decent. Less than it should have done frankly.

It was also basically a PPV-themed show against a throwaway transitory Dynamite episode. But it was actually great, unlike most WWE PPVs where you have to pick and choose what to watch. Reminded me of old NXT Takeovers. 

The losing the money demo to AEW is a problem bigger than NXT. There have been times when Dynamite has done better numbers in a subset of the target demo (in 18-34) than Raw, which should absolutely not happen. WWE certainly has an older people problem. People rail on NBA for reclining ratings, but it is an institution that has actually managed to do a good job finding younger fans. WWE has not been able to do that.

2 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

On 10/29/2020 at 11:31 PM, NintendoLogic said:

Brendan Vink got his NXT name this week

So Vince dropped the Antonio from Cesaro's name because he didn't want people calling him Tony, and I'm 10,379 miles from Vince and I know that, yet the people working for Vince still give Vink the name Tony?

Also, (the real) Tony Modra was, literally, a spectacular high-flyer, which I don't believe Vink is.

The act of jumping on another player's back to make a catch (mark) is known as a spectacular mark (speckie for short). In fact, the AFL has its own MOTY: Mark of the Year. Note that I didn't know any of this until a week ago.

As for the counterfeit Modra, he looks like his head was photoshopped onto someone else's body in his Twitter profile pic.

JQdMNtZh_400x400.jpg

I'm glad you guys are enjoying Aussie Rules. You are indeed free to whack your knee into the back of someone's neck to catch the ball to your heart's desire.

All this footy stuff reminds me that I'm so glad I don't watch NXT any more, because from the day Daniel Vidot debuts on TV and they call him a "rugby player" I would be twitching uncontrollably on a weekly basis. 

(Vidot played rugby league, which is a different sport to rugby union and isn't shortened to "rugby" in the same way.)