Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 11/02 - 11/08 Descanse em paz, Louro Jose

KawadaSmile

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, El-P said:

I'm French, I never got those "Canadians are polite" jokes. :(  Humour really is cultural, sometimes...

Meanwhile, Trump is going full Florida Recount/Montreal Screwjob. Recycling angles from 20 years ago. Yeah, he's booked by Vince.

Well, as a French Canadian, I can absolutely confirm that we are more polite. Doesn't mean there aren't a few dumbasses among us but every country has its share.

5 hours ago, El-P said:

I have for a long time renounced to expect anything intelligent from pro-wrestlers. And I mean, why should I ?

You shouldn't.

Rasslers, by and large, are the most ignorant, backward, gullible, useless hillbillies on the planet. Even the supposed "smart" ones - like Kane - are dumb as fuck.

Dutch Mantell's FB page, where he plays the curious old coot uncle act and asks questions based on obviously false information, is particularly unbearable because of its pretend "aw shucks" naivety. 

At least alcoholic Jericho and "mah freedoms > your life" Kane no longer try to hide who they really are.

I said this to a couple of friends today: Jericho and Jim Ross started off as AEW's biggest asssets. Now they're AEW's biggest liabilities.

Yeah, whether we like it or not, Jericho is a person who people like and tune in to watch. It is disingenuous to say that he's doing more harm than good to the company.

As for JR, he's a non-factor. He is a bad pbp guy but calling him a liability is going too far. He ain't Cornette.

Truth be told, the world's smartest wrestler is The Rock. He never made political statements, never talked about controversial or sensitive issues, and he is always positioning himself in a way that would promote one of his many, many business ventures. The one time he openly declared supporto to a president, people started saying he was dead all along, and ate babies.

54 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Truth be told, the world's smartest wrestler is The Rock. He never made political statements, never talked about controversial or sensitive issues, and he is always positioning himself in a way that would promote one of his many, many business ventures. The one time he openly declared supporto to a president, people started saying he was dead all along, and ate babies.

The same Rock who appeared at the Republican National Convention for George W. Bush?

He has shied away from politics between then and now, but this ain't his first rodeo.

54 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Yeah, whether we like it or not, Jericho is a person who people like and tune in to watch. It is disingenuous to say that he's doing more harm than good to the company.

As for JR, he's a non-factor. He is a bad pbp guy but calling him a liability is going too far. He ain't Cornette. 

Maybe you're right. Rasslin' fans are the most simpleminded and sycophantic audience ever, so they'll forgive a lot. Even Cornette had apologists on this board for a lot longer than anyone else would have outside the rasslin' bubble.

But Jericho has done a fine job eroding his rep this past year. Eventually, enough will be enough.

I like J.R. as a commentator and I am actively rooting for him, but his obvious disdain and/or apathy for parts of the product will eventually do more harm than good. At least he has been smart about not discussing politics (that I know of). I can make assumptions, but that's all they'd be.

In a few years though, I can see Tony Khan replacing J.R. with a young, energized, revitalized Mauro Ranallo. Mamma Mia!

Yes, that same dude. Listening to him in that video just confirms my point: dude is slippery. He never fully endorses George Dubya, or even the GOP for that matter. He is quick to point out that he wants people to exercise their right to vote, be it for the Dems or the Reps.

Sure, he isn't on neutral ground by any means, but nothing he said is explicit endorsement. He carefully chooses the words he is going to use so as to be as neutral as possible. The fact that he flat out said he was going to vote for Biden was kinda big, tbh.

10 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Yes, that same dude. Listening to him in that video just confirms my point: dude is slippery. He never fully endorses George Dubya, or even the GOP for that matter. He is quick to point out that he wants people to exercise their right to vote, be it for the Dems or the Reps.

Sure, he isn't on neutral ground by any means, but nothing he said is explicit endorsement. He carefully chooses the words he is going to use so as to be as neutral as possible. The fact that he flat out said he was going to vote for Biden was kinda big, tbh.

All great points, Bubba. I can't argue against any of them. Mamma Mia!

(Would it be an obnoxious board gimmick if I started ending every post with "Mamma Mia!"? Don't worry, I won't really do that - beyond this post, anyway.)

That's fair, bubba. I mean, The Rock IS one of the greatest talkers of our time. Part of the reason he's so successful is that he is great at staying out of anything controversial. Basically the polar opposite of the other People's Champ, Muhammad Ali.

Ciampa's gimmick has all the markings of those Blue Lives Matter, QAnon type fellas. It's in his damn logo ffs

6 hours ago, C.S. said:

I like J.R. as a commentator and I am actively rooting for him, but his obvious disdain and/or apathy for parts of the product will eventually do more harm than good. At least he has been smart about not discussing politics (that I know of). I can make assumptions, but that's all they'd be.

In a few years though, I can see Tony Khan replacing J.R. with a young, energized, revitalized Mauro Ranallo. Mamma Mia!

That's the main issue with JR. He knows how to put over some part of the product, but has no idea how to do it whenever it doesn't subscribe to his old-school mentality (lastest instance last week, his insistance on saying Wardlow doing acrobatics from the top rope is basically stupid, Schiavone had to run in and defend Wardlow's spot).

Please no, Tony Khan, never do that. I love AEW, and this could legit turn me away. 50+ years (yeah, young and revitalized) old excitable Mauro never shutting the fuck up and burying Schiavone and Excalibur in the mix is exactly the last thing AEW does.

I still like Jericho.  And because I've listened to him a lot, and read his books, I really don't expect him to be well informed on politics and world events that might not directly affect him.  He's always seemed kind of libertarian to me.  He got along great with Vince and he loves making money, what do you expect?  He's not socially conservative, but he is in some right wing ways, and I don't think he pays attention to Trump raping the environment for profit and all the other horrible shit he's done, though I wish he would.  You'd think he son "Ash the Fish Expert" would let him know what dorks Donald Trump & his cabal are

I can't defend him doing Sturgis or having Trump Jr on his show (didn't listen), and I'm not on twitter but I don't enjoy some of his idiotic takes.  But remember this is a 50 yr old guy who has lived and partied like a rock star for a long time, with a massive ego, who likes to play heel and be contrarian, what do people expect?

And honestly, I think part of this could be Jericho "living the gimmick" of the rock star who breaks the rules and doesn't give a fuck because his entire life is a blend of fantasy and reality.  And also because he lives in a bubble and is getting constantly tested, and wrongly assumes most people can get tested for free whenever they want (not the case in most of the country).  I think most of the people in denial about covid, the strain it's putting on the health care system and the economy etc. are living in a fantasy world where they're the pro-freedom rebels for not taking it seriously, because they either can't handle taking it seriously or their lives are so boring and soulless that shit like this and dressing up for Trump gives them purpose

On 11/5/2020 at 1:17 AM, C.S. said:

Dutch Mantell's FB page, where he plays the curious old coot uncle act and asks questions based on obviously false information, is particularly unbearable because of its pretend "aw shucks" naivety. 

He's the worst and really cruel.

A massacre can happen and then he decides to log into Twitter with a "so what are we outraged about today" type message. If he gets too much kick back he plays the "aw shucks" card as you've said. 

27 minutes ago, sek69 said:

So Miro is claiming WWE let him go because he was trying to unionize the locker room and was demanding better COVID protection.

What would the ramifications be if this is proven true?

I know there's the general sweeping under the rug because LOLwrasslin' in the States, but that would be tantamount to company suicide here.

I mean, it's legal for any worker to discuss unionization and in theory employers could (and should!) get in serious trouble for punishing them for it. However in practice it's never enforced and companies seldom face any actual fallout for it. Even if they get a slap on the wrist, the damage is done and it's considered the cost of doing business for the company.

It's interesting though that  even if it wasn't why he was fired, him basically admitting he was talking about it (and him assuming it's why he was fired means he believes the company knew he was doing it) is kind of remarkable. I don't recall hearing about anyone actively involved in the business talking positively about a union since probably Jesse Ventura in the 80s. I wonder if any seeds were planted in people's minds, and having the company blatantly grab at talent's Twitch money right after potentially hearing talk about unions could be an interesting situation.

3 hours ago, Rocco said:

No idea how it works with "independent contractors" but if he was lets say talking about a union while in the dressing room at a show then he kinda screwed himself.  

He kinda freed himself, really. 

Is that why WWE has been booking Lana to go through a table every week now ?

Are some idiots already calling him an east-european commie or something ?

What's remarkable is him saying something like that today while employed by AEW, when you know Cody (and many others I'm sure) stance on unions in pro-wrestling.