Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 11/02 - 11/08 Descanse em paz, Louro Jose

KawadaSmile

Of course, seemingly every retired wrestler talks about how great a union would be, particularly ones with backgrounds in other sports. At the end of his life, Wahoo McDaniel was living off his NFL pension. As for Ventura, the story goes that he promised Vince that he would no longer try to organize the boys after he got his SAG card. He figured it wasn't worth sticking his neck out if the wrestlers were too stupid to fight for their rights.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So a Vince McMahon employed guy is making fun of Jericho for being a Trump supporter. Ok. Whatever. I mean, calling out Jericho for being an idiot is one thing, but when you're getting your paycheck from the N°1 supporters of Trump themselves (and whose money also comes from that great humanitarian MBS), you should probably just shut the fuck up, really. Because it makes you a weeeee bit of a hypocrite.

I mean, he debuted 30 years ago at Survivor Series. That would be a fitting end. They can dress up Brucie as Brother Love one last time too... He clearly is a guy who have overstayed its welcome by a number of appearance now, teasing a Final Farewell and having him show up yet again would be really ridiculous, but then again, pro-wresting retirements... He's not gonna get anything nearly as good as the AJ Styles "match" this year, so he could leave on a good (actually great) note. Sounds about right to me.

1 hour ago, KawadaSmile said:

jericho being dunked on by so many people is unexpected

Bronson Reed has become a surprisingly good follow, and an active voice against not only bullshit like Jericho's drunken rambling but also bullshit within his own company.

1 hour ago, El-P said:

So a Vince McMahon employed guy is making fun of Jericho for being a Trump supporter. Ok. Whatever. I mean, calling out Jericho for being an idiot is one thing, but when you're getting your paycheck from the N°1 supporters of Trump themselves (and whose money also comes from that great humanitarian MBS), you should probably just shut the fuck up, really. Because it makes you a weeeee bit of a hypocrite.

Sami Zayn had a pretty good counter-argument for what you're saying, and I think he raises some good points.

https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2020/10/1/21497928/sami-zayn-banned-saudi-arabia-whataboutism-purity-tests

It's not about "whataboustism" (which honestly is a rethorical trick that is totally overused to DQ any kind of criticism during an argument). It's about being kind of a hypocrite on the subject matter. When you *work* for Vince McMahon, you probably don't need to make fun of someone for being a Trump supporter.

Zayn does raise some good points about dissonance (gotta love the line "I live in the United States, you know what I mean ?"), but also I don't remember Sami Zayn acting houlier than thou on social media and/or pointing fingers. The guy is probably smarter than most guys there.

11 hours ago, sek69 said:

I mean, it's legal for any worker to discuss unionization and in theory employers could (and should!) get in serious trouble for punishing them for it. However in practice it's never enforced and companies seldom face any actual fallout for it. Even if they get a slap on the wrist, the damage is done and it's considered the cost of doing business for the company.

It's interesting though that  even if it wasn't why he was fired, him basically admitting he was talking about it (and him assuming it's why he was fired means he believes the company knew he was doing it) is kind of remarkable. I don't recall hearing about anyone actively involved in the business talking positively about a union since probably Jesse Ventura in the 80s. I wonder if any seeds were planted in people's minds, and having the company blatantly grab at talent's Twitch money right after potentially hearing talk about unions could be an interesting situation.

Yes it's legal but not if your doing it on company time.  But like I said I'm not sure how that works with independent contractors.  

9 hours ago, El-P said:

He kinda freed himself, really. 

Is that why WWE has been booking Lana to go through a table every week now ?

Are some idiots already calling him an east-european commie or something ?

What's remarkable is him saying something like that today while employed by AEW, when you know Cody (and many others I'm sure) stance on unions in pro-wrestling.

He could have ''freed'' himself by quiting if he it was really that bad.  Most of these guys are full of shit.  

3 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Carmella does have personality, the stuff with Truth was good (but then he's the best ever at making bad shit work), but wrestling wise....yeesh.

It's fine as a starter feud for new champion though. Mella has past credibility as a former champ and MitB winner. Sasha will beat her cleanly and probably quickly, and that will be that. 

15 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Carmella does have personality, the stuff with Truth was good (but then he's the best ever at making bad shit work), but wrestling wise....yeesh.

Sasha probably needs a one month feud with a character heel as a palette cleanse. But yeah all of the above. 

8 hours ago, MoS said:

I know Carmella has fans here for some reason, but best of luck to Sasha Banks for having to carry a championship feud with her for a PPV. 

She's not greaaaat, but she clearly puts in effort into anything she does and is capable of having good matches. In fact, I think she can carry a feud quite well outside the ring, that's not even an issue. She can talk and has personality.

I know I saw her carry Charlotte through a decent one despite Flair's attempts at sandbagging her.

Carmella is a case of someone maximizing their potential. She's very good at the character work and can have solid matches. I thought she was the best worker in the triple threat match with Becky and Charlotte at Summer Slam 2018. No one will mistake her for a 5-star technician, but she knows how to get the most out of herself. Not sold on this new character yet, but I'll wait and see.

My goodness, the shade from saying "I know Carmella has fans here for some reason" made me crack up. :lol:

Carmella isn't a good wrestler, I think we can all agree there. But just like Enzo Amore in WWE, you could still bring something to the table without having to actually wrestle. Enzo would have been a good chickenshit heel manager that you want to see the babyface get his hands on finally & Carmella would probably be a good snobby, heel valet. But for whatever reason, WWE doesn't seem to do that stuff anymore. So instead you get in-ring mediocrity & exposing flaws instead of trying to hide flaws & accentuate strengths. 

4 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Carmella is a case of someone maximizing their potential. She's very good at the character work and can have solid matches. I thought she was the best worker in the triple threat match with Becky and Charlotte at Summer Slam 2018. No one will mistake her for a 5-star technician, but she knows how to get the most out of herself. Not sold on this new character yet, but I'll wait and see.

You don't need for everybody to be a technical wizard in the ring; you need people that can do character work better than others. Alexa Bliss understood that very quickly and it's no wonder why she's been featured so prominently since 2016. If they start focusing on that aspect for Carmella too, she can have her niche on Smackdown and be great in that spot. Like Coffey said, put the spotlight on her strengths so that they easily camouflage her weaknesses.