Pro Wrestling Only

Pro Wrestling Love Is Now A PTBN Podcast Series

@soup23 Chad! Brutha, glad you are taking the time to listen! Carolina Dreamin' was a big reason, I got hyped for this project!

@JKWebb& I have reached our Top 50 Greatest WCW and Jim Crockett Promotion Matches of All Time on the Place To Be Network, the only Place To Be in your Pop Culture World! This is the front half of the Top 50 so #50-26, so buckle up because this is when the motors start to redline and your heart beats just a little bit faster. Enjoy!

https://www.podbean.com/eu/pb-38saw-f74b66

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GOOD GAWD! It is the Pro Wrestling Love Show! @JKWebb & myself are breaking through into the TOP 25 WCW/JCP MATCHES OF ALL TIME! I absolutely love how Justin broke down the Piper vs Valentine July 1983, check that out on WWE Hidden Gems. I hope we dont lose that and some of the amazing stuff that cropped up to the Peacock merger. In the meantime, click, download and let us know what you think!

https://www.podbean.com/eu/pb-zjifv-f77834

Hey sorry @BigBadMick didn’t mean to leave you hanging. Let me ask around. Did you get it to work? I have a lot of co-workers in Ireland and they’re telling me how rough it is. We have a manufacturing trial in Ireland this week and I’m supervising it remotely. I hope you & other Irish don’t mind me using “Craic” love the term!

It is a Double Whammy! It’s Royal Rumble Sunday & My Mom’s Birthday! She was wearing the Becky Lynch Holiday sweater I got her that is emblazoned with “The Mom” on it! Popped me huge this morning. I think she’s more excited for the Royal Rumble than I am. Lol. We are rooting for the return of “The Man” Becky Lynch and a victory for Daniel Bryan. As you can see Pro Wrestling Love is a family affair and the latest episode of Pro Wrestling Love has dropped. This one sells itself...it is the Top Ten WCW Matches of All Time! What is the best of the best and Elite of the Elite? What is Number One? Click, Download, Enjoy and Spread the Pro Wrestling Love. Now that this series is over, it is time for the arguing to begin. What are too high on? Too low? What did we miss? Let us know!!

https://www.podbean.com/eu/pb-gehkb-f778bb

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you got it to work, @BigBadMick ! How did you like it?

We have put TNA & WCW to bed, so that means Pro Wrestling Love Volume #11 bring on a new guest @Cap aka Matt who is also an administrator for the Greatest Match Ever Project at gweproject.freeforums.net. We all submit ballots of our 100 Greatest Matches of All Time once a year, this year the voting will be at Summerslam 2021. We have voted in 2019 and 2020 so you can see the final lists at the website above. All are welcome to join the forum which promotes exploration, sharing and discussion around pro wrestling from anytime, any place and any genre. So please come and contribute if you are interested. Matt & I started our five-part journey on the Top 25 Matches in Japanese Shoot-Style History. Enjoy and let us know what you think! :)

https://www.podbean.com/eu/pb-6tt2u-f9d8e0 

That was one hell of a intro to shoot style, boys. I'm in the 'watched Vader-Takada, then backed off' category. Looking forward to giving it a shot - the last man standing matches comparison sounds intriguing.

Also, Marty - this entire series is amazing. You've noted you prefer writing but believe me you're getting your point across in these podcasts - articulate, thoughtful, interesting. Love to hear you team up with Chad sometime....

@BigBadMick thanks for listening and the kind words. I am glad you enjoy it. I hope you take a chance on Shoot-Style, it can be very satisfying. So @soup23 what do you think should we hook it up Bill Watts-style sometime? 

Pro Wrestling Love is back & kicking ass for a shoot on this second installment of counting down the Top 25 Japanese Shoot-Style Matches according to me & @Cap. The Tom & Jerry of pro wrestling: Yuki Ishikawa & Daisuke Ikeda make their first appearance and so does the "Soviet Maestro" Volk Han and the badass Masakatsu Funaki. Click it, download and listen and let us know what you think!

https://www.podbean.com/eu/pb-rqedx-f9d8e1

Alright, brutha @soup23, but dont think Im bumping for you. I am a walking tall babyface :p

What's going on, PWOites? It is @Cap  & Marty Sleeze comin' at you live with Pro Wrestling Love on the dial. We bust out the Boss, our Hero, Yoshiaki Fujiwara as we heap loads of praise on him. We tackle two of the most polarizing shoot-style matches of all time, click the link to find out what they are...Chad has already gone on record for shaming me for not liking one of them. I am standing tall, baby! We even have a Bob Backlund sighting and it is not me who is gushing over Bob for a change! It is Pro Wrestling Love, give it a spin, let us know what you think.

https://www.podbean.com/eu/pb-3guva-f9d8e4

I had a blast chatting with Mr. Sleeze about shoot style. That third episode was a roller-coaster of emotion... singing the praises of Fujiwara, waxing philosophical about the greatness of Backlund, and fighting off invisible monsters who hate our take on a certain beloved match.

Also, if you want my feedback, that Matt guy sounds weird on a recording.

Have binged the first three weeks of the Shoot Style top 25 and am currently listening to the most recent episode.  Highly enjoyable.  

I wouldn't do this right after you're done with the Shoot Style list so you don't burn out, but I think you can get a lot of extra context watching how UWF style transitioned into MMA.

My recommendations would be:

* Rumina Sato (watch all of his fights from 1994-2000 in chronological order and then also watch his 11/15/02 and 03/11/05 fights.

* Kazushi Sakuraba (watch all of this fights in chronological order through the end of 2003)

* Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira: his RINGS shoots in order and then his PRIDE fights in order through December 2004.  And then watch the two Josh Barnett classics from 2006.

* Kiyoshi Tamura non-worked RINGS fights: 04/22/97 vs Kohsaka, 4/23/99 vs. Frank Shamrock, 4/20/00 vs. Gilbert Yvel

* Tsuyoshi Kohsaka: 9/26/97 vs. Frank Shamrock; 9/7/02 vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (DEEP)

Let me know if I can help out in any way as I have almost all of these matches digitally.

Matt dont sell yourself kid, I think you have a velvety voice. I love listening to you talk, brutha. 

@Tim Cooke thanks for listening and thanks for the recommendations I would love to see how UWF influenced MMA. RINGS was doing shoots as early as 1997?!? How sure are we that '97 fight with Kohsaka is not worked.

Ugh, sorry I got slammed with work, it was my manufacturing trial week and forgot to make a post. This is the penultimate episode of the Best of Shoot-Style with Markout Mountain Matt. We break into Top 10! Matt loves PWFG, I love Shamrock's mullet! Matt gets freaky deaky with a BatBat-Death Match hybrid pick. Fujiwara vs Super Tiger makes its debut as I continue to freeze out Volk Han vs Tamura. The final episode which is out Top 5 drops tomorrow, Noon Eastern! Check both these episodes out! 

https://www.podbean.com/eu/pb-yka82-f9d8e9 

99.99% sure that the 4/22/97 Tamura vs. Kohsaka is a shoot.

It doesn't have the holes that you can see in the 6/27/98 match, as good as that match is to try to be as realistic as possible.

RINGS was doing undercard shoots since 1992 (mixed with some kickboxing, etc.).  No more than 1 match per show until 1998.

@Tim Cooke I really liked Tamura vs Koshaka the worked version of 1998; I will definitely check out their shoot! Sounds interesting thanks for the trip!

It is here another Season Finale on the Pro Wrestling Love Show! This is the final episode of the Best Japanese Shoot-Style Matches of All Time! It was a pleasure having @Cap aboard and I am sure we will hook it up again down the road. It is our Top 5 Shoot Style Matches of All Times. This is the easiest show to sell. The obvious hook is who finishes number 1! It is nothing but stone cold classics Volk Han vs Kiyoshi Tamura the Trilogy! Fujiwara vs Super Tiger! Takada vs Fujiwara! Tamura vs Kohsaka! What did you agree with? What did we have too high? What did we have too low? What did we miss? Tell us! 

https://www.podbean.com/eu/pb-zpxbg-f9d8f1 

@BigBadMick your energy is keeping me going! Im glad you still found it enjoying even if you dont know much about Shoot-Style. 

As Mick mentioned the Shoot-Style series has come & gone, but Pro Wrestling Love is staying in the Land of the Rising Sun as we are counting down the Top 25 Best Pro Wrestling Matches to take place in Japan between 2000-2009 with first-time podcaster, long-time PWO contributor @dawho5 aka Mike. Mike & I were common voices in the discussion threads for the Best of Japan 2000s matches. The Best of Japan 2000s (2000-2009) was a projected headed up by Ditch. About 300 Puroresu matches from 2000-2009 were nominated and the intention was to have people watch them and then rank them up. The voting process did not take place however Mike & I learned helluva lot about Puroresu at this time and watched some great badass matches. This is the first of five installments (#25-#21) as we count down our Top 25 Best of Japan matches 2000-2009. 

https://www.podbean.com/eu/pb-68d57-fd5d59

Pro Wrestling Love is coming back at you with @dawho5 as we continue our countdown on the Top 25 Best Japanese matches to take place between 2000-2009. This was born out of Ditch's project in the early 2010s and we are here in 2021 to report back our findings. This is Part 2/5 and we are in the #20-#16 portion of the list. This is Mike's first podcast venture. He has been a valuable contributor on here for close to a decade. I am glad he was on and he could share his interesting insight. Plenty of great puroresu discussed and come listen to Mike pontificate. 

https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-e7xtm-fd5d60

• 2 weeks later...

A big dose of Pro Wrestling Love coming directly into your ears. Shoutout to @dawho5 for joining me for the third consecutive episode to discuss the middle of our pack, #15-#11 of the Top 25 Best Pro Wrestling Matches to take place in Japan between 2000-2009. The boys use Kensuke Sasaki vs Toshiaki Kawada, New Japan vs All Japan dream match as a case study in pro wrestling pride, Kawada as a chameleon, the difference between “how” vs “why” in wrestling and the very famous Kobashi vs Sasaki Dome match that didn’t make either of our lists, but was worthy of discussion. Wikipedia says Hiro Saito invented the Senton, but this seems off to Mike & Marty. So Pro Wrestling Lovers who invented the Senton? Let us know! FUJITA JR HAYATO Makes his Pro Wrestling Love debut in all his reigning glory! Marty tells his story or how he met Stan Hansen. Pro Wrestling Love ends on a high note of the raucous mayhem of Nagata vs Murakami! If you have not seen this match, drop what you are doing and watch it now! Click think, download and enjoy…let us know what you think! We love to hear!

https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-s62dm-fd5d67

The penultimate episode of the Top 25 Best of Japan 2000s with @dawho5 we break into Top Ten, #10-#6 of our lists on the Pro Wrestling Love! Lots of variety here, NOAH, New Japan, BattlArt and even MUGA! We start getting into the matches I think are ***** classics! I am really happy how my break down of the Tanahashi formula came out so take a listen. I really have grown to love Tanahashi and I came to play here. Mike gives plenty of love for early 2000s New Japan including an Inokiism classic, Hashimoto & Iizuka vs Ogawa & Murakami in an all-out fracas at the Dome.  Plus lots of love for Kenta Kobashi! Check it out here and let us know what you think!

https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-h5t24-fd5d6c

• 2 weeks later...

Running a little behind schedule...work was a bear last week and totally blanked on hyping my show...last week's Pro Wrestling Love was the Season Finale with @dawho5 thanks Mike for joining me! We are count down our Top 5 Best matches to take place in Japan between 2000-2009. Mike & I agree on the best match! Do you? Let us know! What did we miss? What did we have too high? Too low? Let us know!

https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-jh2h7-fd5d70

It is time for the FIFTH Season of Pro Wrestling Love and as always I think my guests are the biggest hook to listen as this time I have none other than @PeteF3 of right here on the PWO! Pete kicks ass in the Yearbook threads and throughout this board and I was so happy to talk to him for hours and hours about the Best Matches from the WWF between 1988-1997. The first episode looks at our #25-#21, but there is so much more! We are proof positive that there is hope that we can all get along as Pete is a Buckeye (Booooooo!) and I am a Wolverine (Lets Go Blue!) and we never came to blows! :)

https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-tzv3j-100c956

None other than @PeteF3 is back for more on the Pro Wrestling Love! As we continue our continue down of the Best WWF Matches from 1993-1997. We have bust up laughing about the weirdest tangent on Bret Hart. We have a good time talking about Hulk Hogan vs Sgt. Slaughter and Bret Hart vs Bob Backlund. The Jumping Bomb Angels make my list and that leads to interesting tangents about St. Louis Wrestling and Powerbombs in America. This one is chock full of goodness so dont miss out! Click the link, download & enjoy! Let us know any feedback! :)

https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-bx682-100c965

Enjoying the pairing, even if Pete isn't on board with Demos and there's maybe a bit too much Rockers love. Even if the Rockers were absolutely my favorite team as a kid.

Marty at least, I need you to watch the Bret vs Backlund match here and compare it against the other two:

e Bret