Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 12/14 - 12/20 *vacated space*

KawadaSmile

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So of course AJ (who I like) and Seamus (who I don't dislike) get twenty minutes, but Taue/Akiyama is jip and clipped down to six minutes....

Has the average age of the WWE roster ever been higher? I don't expect anyone to quantify that, and I'm not even including Undi, Goldie, Big Show and part-timers, but here's MVP, Lashley and Shelton, following AJ and Seamus to further the impression.
*And here comes Jeff Hardy! Old-Timer's Appreciation Night!

53 minutes ago, Dav'oh said:

Has the average age of the WWE roster ever been higher? I don't expect anyone to quantify that, and I'm not even including Undi, Goldie, Big Show and part-timers, but here's MVP, Lashley and Shelton, following AJ and Seamus to further the impression.
*And here comes Jeff Hardy! Old-Timer's Appreciation Night!

It could be just my recollection of the time, but it seems like the early/mid 80s had jobbers/midcarders who had been around forever by that point. Of course they weren't being featured either. 

1 hour ago, cm funk said:

Meanwhile when talking NJPW they're putting over the rise of people like Okada, Naito, Ishii etc at the time......all of whom remain relevant seven years later.  And Devitt and Nakamura.....not so much :(

Look at the Lucha Underground people in AEW : Lucha Brothers, Brian Cage, Thunder Rosa, Luchasaurus, (hell, Jake Hager). And now look at two guys who were main eventers in LU from the very first show : Johnny Mundo & Ricochet... Some guys signed the wrong contracts (I know, there was no AEW when Ricochet signed).

34 minutes ago, FMKK said:

Sounds like an all time bad show. Pretty sure Bray Wyatt and Drew are the only pushed acts on Raw under 40 and both are like 35. 

The boss is 75 years old. The average viewer in 50. From that point of view, they push "young talent".

Meanwhile, 50 years old Jericho is hot with the younger demo. Hell, Orange Cassidy is 37 or something. So, age is relative in a sense. But yes, of course, WWE is the retirement home of pro-wrestling.

Orange Cassidy is older than you think but he’s not overexposed on US television whereas Miz has been on every show doing the same gimmick for over ten years and has never been overly good at it. Age is relative and ideally you’d want a good mixture. AEW has some old guys, some guys in their mid-30s and lots of guys under 30. WWE has everyone between 35-45 and most have been constantly on TV doing the same act forever.

1 hour ago, El-P said:

Look at the Lucha Underground people in AEW : Lucha Brothers, Brian Cage, Thunder Rosa, Luchasaurus, (hell, Jake Hager). And now look at two guys who were main eventers in LU from the very first show : Johnny Mundo & Ricochet... Some guys signed the wrong contracts (I know, there was no AEW when Ricochet signed).

The boss is 75 years old. The average viewer in 50. From that point of view, they push "young talent".

Meanwhile, 50 years old Jericho is hot with the younger demo. Hell, Orange Cassidy is 37 or something. So, age is relative in a sense. But yes, of course, WWE is the retirement home of pro-wrestling.

Yeah.  It's been interesting looking back at 2013 and comparing where people were then to where they are now. 

Orton, Rey, Miz, Ziggler, Sheamus, Kofi, Big E, Cesaro, Usos and a handful of others in essentially the same spots give or take.  Reigns, Rollins and Wyatt were getting their first pushes.  Bryan was getting his push to the top.  McIntyre was a geek.  Swagger was doing the WE THE PEOPLE stuff with Zeb

Alberto Del Rio was a top guy

Punk was feuding with Heyman, Brock, Curtis Axel and Ryback.  I'd honestly forgotten about the Curtis Axel push, where he "beat" HHH due to HHH having a concussion or something in a pretty tasteless angle when at the same time Ziggler and Bryan were dealing with real concussion issues

Cody had a mustache, was a tag team with Sandow (Rhodes Scholars who I'd totally forgotten about).  They break up and feud over Sandow's MITB case.  Then Rhodes gets "fired" and it leads to the angle with Dusty and teaming with Goldust to beat The Shield for the titles.  Which leads to Stardust....which leads eventually to AEW of all things amazingly

Moxley and Jericho were in upper card spots and are obviously now top guys in AEW who've both reinvented themselves

NXT was in it's very early stages....talking about Ashley Flair and Paige as potential future stars etc. etc.

The rest of the wrestling landscape has evolved significantly around WWE.  While other than a vast improvement in women's wrestling (they were pushing everyone involved in the first season of Total Divas at the time, as well as Kaitlyn, AJ, Layla and a few others) WWE remains essentially unchanged except for people like Cena, Kane, Mark Henry and Big Show who were all heavily pushed at the time time no longer being there

And the wildest thing is Dave and Bryan talking about the audience being in it's 40's and slowly eroding.  In seven years it's only gotten older and smaller with no end to the trend in sight.....