Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - December 23, 2020

MoS

Ratings came crashing back last week and they are pre-empted from their usual time slot tonight - although the NBA means they will get a big lead-in. I hope this means they do some course correction cuz I have not been a fan of the last couple of episodes

They have booked Shida so badly. She deserved so much more.

Also, where is Britt? Literally the only star in the women's division, why is she not on TV every week? Please don't say she is on Dark every week; it's like putting Austin only on Shotgun and not Raw every week, except worse.

I'm surprised it took them only a year plus to start a "management sucks" worked shoot. At least it's with Spears who sucks and I can FFWd on the dvr. I'm begging AEW to go a week without dropping the S bomb.

I still don't care for the Acclaimed gimmick and Cator in particular but they did a decent job vs the Bucks. They should probably go back to Dark to work out the kinks but they have potential if they drop the rapping gimmick.  It's amazing how much better Top Flight is than them and Private Party.

17 minutes ago, Tim Evans said:

I'm surprised it took them only a year plus to start a "management sucks" worked shoot. At least it's with Spears who sucks and I can FFWd on the dvr. I'm begging AEW to go a week without dropping the S bomb.

Agreed. I remember the first time someone said shit on AEW Dynamite: it was Jericho, on the 2nd Dynamite ever, when he told Cody he was "going to beat the shit out of you." It felt visceral and impactful. Now it's like a Russo-esque crutch, with zero meaning or emotion. Like, fine. You say shit. Get over yourself. Even Jade said it in her promo (and btw, why would you make someone with her presence and look ever cut a promo? If anyone ever needed a manager, it is Jade, and most definitely not Nia, who is a perfectly fine promo by herself.)

I am really not a fan of the YB switching from face to heel with zero explanation or proper context every fucking week. It is too fucking schizophrenic. And the rap gimmick Acclaim is doing can go die in the water. It's terrible. Also insulting to the genre of rap, which has often been used to point out systematic, structural inequities, and not stupid insults, although yeah there has been plenty of the latter too. 

That said though, the main event was really good. When the Bucks are not booking their programs and are left to simply structure their matches, they are excellent. Therefore, like most top acts in wrestling history, they should not be allowed to have "creative control" over their storylines and should only be asked to wrestle. They are brilliant at wrestling and structuring, and terrible at booking and long-term storytelling. 

This Dynamite episode was better than the last couple, but I personally am still cold and underwhelmed by what I have seen the last few weeks. I am EAGERLY waiting for Mox's return next week. Mox is a fucking stud, an absolute superstar, and I had not realized how much this show needs him until the last couple weeks when he was not there to cut his usual excellent promo or have his usual great match.

1 hour ago, Tim Evans said:

I still don't care for the Acclaimed gimmick and Cator in particular but they did a decent job vs the Bucks. They should probably go back to Dark to work out the kinks but they have potential if they drop the rapping gimmick.  It's amazing how much better Top Flight is than them and Private Party.

Glad to not be the only one seeing that Top Flight has the better upside of those 3 teams. They had a pretty solid outing vs Jericho & MJF.

This was a better show than previous weeks, partly because we got the likes of MJF, Dustin, Evil Uno and Pac working in-ring. I get that the Bucks want to work with the younger teams and put them over in defeat but Bucks/Natural Nightmares feels like it would be a far stronger TV main event than the Bucks working another green team. Bowens and Castor have a great look but yeah, the rap gimmick is death and the video/song they showed early on was terrible.

Kind of amazed that the Good Brothers didn’t show but I’m assuming that’s being kept for a live show. I loved MJF using Santana’s grief to win them over to his side, what a fantastic heel move to advance that program. I assume that Shida slaying Abbadon will invalidate her looking weak with her every week but I’d heat up the Thunder Rosa/Britt Baker program fairly quickly and shift the belt into that feud in the new year. Still, a really easy watch, even if they are beginning to lose me with the direction they're going with certain programs and acts but that’s really just my own personal preferences, rather than any errors on their part

12 hours ago, SirEdger said:

Glad to not be the only one seeing that Top Flight has the better upside of those 3 teams. They had a pretty solid outing vs Jericho & MJF.

They are really confident on the mic for being 19 and 21 & not going through WWE developmental, running their mouth in front of (pre-COVID) live crowds 2-3 times a week for several years like MJF or Starks or anything like that. 

33 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Apparently Jericho was trending on Twitter due to NBA fans who stuck around to watch AEW dunking on him for being chubby. 

NBA Twitter sounds just as shitty as Wrestling Twitter, and I am sure a bunch of dorks tweeting about Jericho is not representative of the larger NBA fanbase

Just now, Flyin' Brian said:

Jericho looks exactly like an aging rock star, which is pretty much his current gimmick so I think it’s a great look. The beer gut just kind of enhances it. 

Jericho is definitely doing the “real self turned up to 11” very well. 

To be fair to the NBA fans, if you hadn’t seen Jericho in years, his new look would be pretty shocking. 

1 hour ago, Flyin' Brian said:

Jericho looks exactly like an aging rock star, which is pretty much his current gimmick so I think it’s a great look. The beer gut just kind of enhances it. 

Or he's a problem drinker and has aged greatly over the last year. On his recent appearance on a Shot of Brandi on Youtube, Chris said his wife recently banned him from drinking Vodka straight (his signature drink "Yeah Boy!" - Grey Goose on the rocks).