Pro Wrestling Only

R.I.P. Jon Huber (Brodie Lee/Luke Harper)

C.S.

2 hours ago, rovert said:

Fans searching for answers picked up on in reflection how hard he was breathing in the last Being The Elite episode he shot (admittedly he was shouting and being generally active), also in that final episode he told Jon Silver he finally earned his respect it was like Brodie knew something and on his AEW Unrestricted podcast appearance on November 2nd he offhandedly remarked how difficult he found riding his Peloton bike suddenly was.

Again questions like this will be answered with time, patience and respect. Maybe it was a JUST a future storyline thread or a one scene BTE sight gag or Brodie knew something conscious or unconsciously? 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As eerie as it sounds, maybe that's it. The more I think about it, the more it brings me back to that last Ultimate Warrior promo the night after Wrestlemania when he was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame. Listening to that promo made me feel like he knew what was coming - maybe not as fast as the next day but still - and perhaps Brodie realized that too so he did all he could to make everyone around him happy....as if he wasn't already making people around him feel that way. That speaks even more volumes about how kind and generous he truly was.

3 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

As eerie as it sounds, maybe that's it. The more I think about it, the more it brings me back to that last Ultimate Warrior promo the night after Wrestlemania when he was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame. Listening to that promo made me feel like he knew what was coming - maybe not as fast as the next day but still - and perhaps Brodie realized that too so he did all he could to make everyone around him happy....as if he wasn't already making people around him feel that way. That speaks even more volumes about how kind and generous he truly was.

It is the whole unwritten book thing.

Without COVID he was going to debut in New Japan in 2020 apparently as a Bruiser Brody inspired type act - like how Jon Moxley played off of Terry Funk.

He really loved sports (baseball, football & hockey) and would phone into sports talk radio under his real name for years and years. Was friends with a lot of hosts. I've said in the past that post-WWE that I was expecting him to get into podcasting or traditional radio.

He had already dabbled in film. Someone his size and look that could do stunts could always get "a role" in "a film" and get a SAG card. Even as just "Bodyguard #3" or being cast in a Batista, Cena or Rock blockbuster. 

1 hour ago, rovert said:

He really loved sports (baseball, football & hockey) and would phone into sports talk radio under his real name for years and years. Was friends with a lot of hosts. I've said in the past that post-WWE that I was expecting him to get into podcasting or traditional radio.

I always thought that was another layer of stupid about Vince being mad he couldn't do a Southern accent. Dude had a great voice that seemed tailor made for practically any audio format imaginable.

I would have loved for him to be able to go full Bruiser Brody "intelligent monster" in WWE. It would have been a great way to differentiate him from the Wyatt Family and they wouldn't have really had to change his look at all. 

3 hours ago, rovert said:

I've never heard anyone publicly or privately bad mouth Stephanie. But Stephanie and Amanda largely just bounded over motherhood.

Even Heyman, whom Steph hated by all accounts, kind of sorts of puts her over in shoot interviews. Ofc Paul E is the ultimate carny and could have been looking after his future bottom line, but A) he did shit on Vince quite enough when he was on the outs with WWE; and B ) shitting on Steph never stopped Road Dogg from getting a job again in WWE

2 hours ago, rovert said:

It is the whole unwritten book thing.

Without COVID he was going to debut in New Japan in 2020 apparently as a Bruiser Brody inspired type act - like how Jon Moxley played off of Terry Funk.

He had already dabbled in film. Someone his size and look that could do stunts could always get "a role" in "a film" and get a SAG card. Even as just "Bodyguard #3" or being cast in a Batista, Cena or Rock blockbuster. 

I actually watched MOHAWK around Halloween time and I was blown away by Brodie's performance in it. He has very much a secondary role in the movie (although important in the plot and the movie in general) but he definitely was the shining star of that movie, in my opinion. In fact, I look at the picture Dark Sky Films used as a screenshot and that's right about the part of the movie where he really was astonishingly good. I can't highly recommend it enough.

As for the sports thing, the Toronto Maple Leafs (his favorite hockey team) have already acknowledged his passing and sent their condolences to his family. Doug Gilmour also spoke highly of him as they have met a couple of times.

Was absolutely stunned when I saw this on Saturday.  Thought it had been odd how quiet things had been about him being off TV, but there were zero hints that it was anything this serious.

Such a shame.  He sounded like a great guy from all accounts, family man, really smart and funny on any podcast I heard him on, including a recent Talk is Jericho where he sounded really happy and optimistic about his career going forward with AEW.

I'm glad he got a chance to show and prove in AEW after being sidelined so long with WWE.  The Dark Order was really taking shape after being DOA and he was great in the role.  He was really entertaining doing the BTE stuff with Dark Order.  I'm going to miss him throwing rolled up papers at Jon Silver :(

RIP

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJVQkRCA0WT/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Not sure if that'll come through. If not, Randy Orton's thoughts:

I knew Luke from work. I always called him Luke. Some of us call each other by our ring names, some real names. It gets confusing, but I always called him Luke. I’ve been in a wwe lockeroom more than half of my existence, and there is an unwritten code. Respect is at the top. You all have heard about how much we all respected Luke, about how much we all enjoyed his presence. It is a fact. I’m telling ya, on the back of a bus, traveling and away from family for weeks in a row, he was one of the ones I’d make sure to secure a seat on that bus next to. I’m not perfect, never thought I was. Neither was he. But talking to him, and conversing about our families, as most husbands/fathers do on these trips at some point, I learned that he was near perfect when it came to how he loved his sons and his wife Amanda. His wife was close to my wife, and she considers Amanda one of her dear friends when it comes to the word ‘friend’ in this biz. You see, many times there are acquaintances, or co workers, or fellow talent, but with Kim and Amanda, I felt as if they had that female intuition thing going on and were meant to be friends. Amanda’s attitude about the business her husband was in was a very positive one. It had given them everything, as it has me and my family. But often, as in most professions there are times when you get down on your current status. Luke and I often talked about the biz, and how it affected our lives, our families, and us as men. I remember him saying that he wanted to do more, and knew that he was capable of doing more. He was. Seeing him have the balls to take that leap of faith and seeing him make the decision was an inspiration to me. I was always very proud of him and out of my peripheral vision I watched him as a fellow 20 year vet and saw many things that impressed me. Not just his work inside the ring, but how he treated others in the back. I’m telling you guys reading this, that this mans character IS unmatched. I have many stories involving Luke and I, and I will always cherish them. Know that he was a great human being. I will be in that same lockeroom tomorrow and look forward to sharing stories about my friend, Luke. #RIPLukeHarper.

A bright spot in all this was reading how his wife would stay at the tapings even though she was exhausted and needed sleep because of how much Brodie Jr loved being there. 

I love too how even people who only knew/worked with Brodie for a brief time felt like they knew him forever. It's a sign of how great he was a s a person to make everyone around him feel like they've been friends their own lives.

Steph tweeted commiserations while acknowledging his indie (and AEW) name. I think Brodie was one of the few wrestlers who was so beloved, petty things like inter-promotional rivalry get completely transcended and overwhelmed in the wake of such tragedy. I don't remember such outpouring of love, sadness and solidarity for a wrestler literally ever. Eddy and Owen could have had this but of course A) social media wasn't around then to amplify such voices; and B) circumstances surrounding their deaths were far more controversial than they are here

12 minutes ago, MoS said:

Steph tweeted commiserations while acknowledging his indie (and AEW) name. I think Brodie was one of the few wrestlers who was so beloved, petty things like inter-promotional rivalry gets completely transcended and overwhelmed in the wake of such tragedy. I don't remember such outpouring of love, sadness and solidarity for a wrestler literally ever. Eddy and Owen could have had this but of course A) social media wasn't around then to amplify such voices; and B) circumstances surrounding their deaths were far more controversial than they are here

Steph may have all the social awareness of someone who grew up with Vince as a parent, but she's hardly the evil she-beast some corners of the internet try to portray her as. She's a mom of three kids who aren't too far off in age from Brodie's kids so she fully understands how tragic this is. 

Let's talk about how Brodie Lee Jr is putting some mustard on that Discus Lariat. That kid's got "it".

In all seriousness, this is heartwarming to watch wrestlers from not only AEW but WWE making sure that Brodie Jr can take his mind off things in a very difficult time and just can be a kid again. And watching those clips made me realize how much this kid is a natural at this; probably because just like kids in general when they play around, he doesn't overthink things; he just let things flow and just do it.

• GSR unpinned this topic