Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - December 30, 2020

MoS

I was teary-eyed pretty much the whole show tonight, even in the moments that I laughed (the paper toss + Brodie Jr hitting MJF with the kendo stick) but two particular moments broke me: Erick Redbeard with his sign while consoling John Silver and the moment where Brodie Jr came out with his mom to Brodie Lee's music. That was it and I was crying like a baby. I don't even recall being that emotional for Eddie Guerrero's tribute RAW.

Just chiming in to say that if you're not done feeling some feels, I implore you to listen to the full Tom Waits album Closing Time (the song used in the Brodie Lee tribute, "Ol' 55" is from there). A stunningly beautiful, sad, and uplifting album that got me through a rough patch in 2004/2005 when I was given a burned copy of it by a friend. 

I know it is really stupid and petty but I almost feel bad for the WWE people who have to create a tribute video. They obviously have more footage, more pictures, and all, but as far as soundtracks go, AEW nailed it so hard that there is no nailing left to be done. A timeless, classic song from a legendary idiosyncratic musical artist befitting an unforgettable, multi-talented wrestler and, by all accounts, person. 

Having their video soundtracked by a nu-metal band's version of a "ballad" will almost be insulting in comparison. (For example, Eddie's tribute video was soundtracked by 3 Doors Down because I'm guessing they couldn't find the right Puddle of Mudd or Hoobastank song. Yuck.)

What got me was the back to back of Brodie Jr. being involved in a nice silly little angle (with an over the top heel acting so scummy I could only laugh) with Silver, moments later, in a heap in the ring, presumably sobbing.

I, too, am wary of involving the family so much, but I think it's one of those things where there's no right answer or approach. For as weird and carny as the wrestling business can be, I thought things were pretty above board and hopefully helped prove cathartic for those involved.

After seeing so many WWF/E  produced tributes it was almost odd to me to see so much of his past acknowledged. From his indy stuff to pics from his WWE days (that were clearly given to them by people in WWE since most of them posted it on their Twitter pages), it was refreshing to see a tribute from a company with no weird hangups.

Wonderful tribute show. The John Silver part was the hardest to watch to me, poor guy was obviously crying his eyes out on the mat after the pinfall. The video piece at the end was perfect, great choice of music, great montage of John Huber's actual entire career. This is how it should be done.

On 12/31/2020 at 8:18 AM, DMJ said:

Just chiming in to say that if you're not done feeling some feels, I implore you to listen to the full Tom Waits album Closing Time (the song used in the Brodie Lee tribute, "Ol' 55" is from there). A stunningly beautiful, sad, and uplifting album that got me through a rough patch in 2004/2005 when I was given a burned copy of it by a friend. 

Didn't expect to see this here! Tom Waits is my all-time favorite musical artist & I also got into him around 2004ish when I was turned on to him via a burned album, that my manager was listening to when I was working at a local pizzeria. Although for me, it was Small Change that I initially heard. Nighthawks at the Diner is also very special to my girlfriend & I & my personal favorite album of his is Mule Variations. Tom Waits' music is also responsible for getting me back into buying vinyl records.