Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
The Thread Killer

The Thread Killer Talks Too Much: The Recaps

Just catching up with this now, TTK and really enjoyed reading the first part of Eric Fires Back. I don't really know why, maybe because I always wanted WCW to win the war, but I have a soft spot for Eric and always want to believe he's a good guy.

My favourite part from that was Bret Hart saying "I have nothing good to say about him... He's a nice enough guy". I seem to remember Bret praising Bischoff in his book, calling him specifically 'a good man', or maybe it wasn't in his book but somewhere else. I didn't know they had such heat.

35 minutes ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

My favourite part from that was Bret Hart saying "I have nothing good to say about him... He's a nice enough guy".

Yeah, it sounded particularly absurd when Bret was saying that.  It was Sam Roberts who was interviewing Hart, and after Hart concludes his diatribe about how Eric Bischoff is a total and loser and a maggot...but a nice enough guy...Roberts actually bursts out laughing. It was so ridiculous.

I know I haven't posted any recaps in a while...so-called "real life" has been kicking my ass over the past couple of weeks. I hope to get back to the recaps soon.

However...

The next best thing to reading a Thread Killer recap is actually hearing The Thread Killer talk!

Well...not really.

PWO Good Brother @Mad Dog was kind enough to have me as a guest on his highly recommended 4Corners Podcast.  (I'm not just recommending it because he had me on as a guest, I have listened to other episodes and it's a lot of fun.  It's like listening to a really engaging roundtable discussion.)

Anyhow...if you'd like to hear ME talk (not that I can actually think of any reason you actually would) then please check this out.  And big thanks to Mad Dog, the whole process was a pleasure.

I just want to say that I miss the hell out of this thread. If @The Thread Killer got burned out doing recaps, I more than understand - it's obviously hard and time-consuming work - but I loved reading them.

Yeah, this was one of my favourite little threads to get lost in. I might not post much, nor doing so in this thread, but this was a  must-view every time something new dropped. 

On 4/18/2021 at 10:36 PM, C.S. said:

I just want to say that I miss the hell out of this thread. If @The Thread Killer got burned out doing recaps, I more than understand - it's obviously hard and time-consuming work - but I loved reading them.

5 hours ago, Rah said:

Yeah, this was one of my favourite little threads to get lost in. I might not post much, nor doing so in this thread, but this was a  must-view every time something new dropped. 

I am sorry I ended up kind of dropping this project. I am struggling with what to say here, and how much detail to give.  Suffice it to say, I have shared in a couple of threads here at PWO that I am having some serious health problems. Without coming across as needlessly melodramatic or attention seeking, I will simply say my condition has taken a significant turn for the worse. 

While all this has been going on  my laptop died, which had all my saved podcasts and recaps. I don’t know much about computers, but during this process I have learned two things. Firstly I don’t know what a motherboard is, but whatever it is, if it dies...you’re screwed. Secondly I really should have backed up everything on an external hard drive...which I did not.

So I found myself having lost all my shows and recaps, and I was really sick on top of that.  And then, just to add an extra kick in the teeth from life...my dog died just this week. I’ve had him for 12 years and during this illness he has been my constant companion 24/7.

The heart has pretty much gone out of me at this point.  I have managed to keep myself distracted during this whole process by farting around in the fantasy booking forum here at PWO. It has been a great distraction to keep me occupied as I have been bedridden and dealing with all this other crap.

But doing recaps is actually a bit of work and I just have not felt up to it. I actually let my subscription to Ad Free Shows lapse. Being in and out of the hospital and dealing with all this other stuff, I haven’t listened to any podcasts in quite a while.

I do appreciate the fact that people enjoyed the recaps I was doing, and who knows. Maybe at some point in the future I will pick it up again if I am able.

I feel really stupid even mentioning any of this here. Reading this back, it comes across as if I am looking for sympathy or attention, and neither is the case. I always hated when people used message board posts as a cry for attention.  As much as it sounds like that from me now, it really isn’t true.  

Let’s just say life is kicking my ass right now, and if it stops and I am capable of doing it, I will be more than happy to pick up this project again.

No, no, @The Thread Killer, you shouldn't feel stupid at all. Your message doesn't sound at all like "a cry for attention" or "looking for sympathy," so don't worry about anything like that. 

Your health has to come first, and I hope you reach a point in the very near future where life is no longer kicking your ass. 

Sending prayers and good wishes your way. 

As for the computer, even if the motherboard died, there may still be a way to extract the hard drive and either put it into another computer or turn it into an external drive - so you may not have actually lost anything - but all of that will require someone slightly more tech-savvy than me to walk you through. It should be possible though. 

That absolutely does not come off as looking for sympathy or attention at all. You seem like a good dude Thread Killer, and I'm sorry to hear that life is kicking your ass. If you ever do come back to this, this forum will be the better for it. Until then, I will continue to enjoy your fantasy booking and hope for the best for you Brother!

I hope you get feeling better. It was awesome getting to bullshit with you and do a podcast. We need to do another one when you're feeling better so we can bitch more about e-fedding. 

You can probably pull your drive even if the laptop is dead. I had that happen once and just got an external drive case for it. It's actually fairly easy to do. If you get a new computer shoot me a message and I'll help you through it. 

Like others said, that post was in no way looking for sympathy. I also agree that your hard drive/data is still salvageable so all is most certainly not lost.

When (if) you're ready, I'm sure all of us look forward to your next recaps. It's a goddam treasure.

22 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

While all this has been going on  my laptop died, which had all my saved podcasts and recaps. I don’t know much about computers, but during this process I have learned two things. Firstly I don’t know what a motherboard is, but whatever it is, if it dies...you’re screwed. Secondly I really should have backed up everything on an external hard drive...which I did not.

Fingers crossed for your health sir. Have enjoyed reading the thread. 

As for the hard drive, you should be able to take it out of laptop and mount it in an external hard drive caddy, probably the easiest way. The hard drive is likely salvageable even if your cpu is fried. Happy to help if you want any advice

Allow me to join in wishing you the best. And don't feel like you owe us an explanation. Like we said in the very beginning, you should walk away as soon as recapping starts to feel like a job or an obligation. Even more so if real life is getting in the way.

I wanted to say thanks to everybody for their well wishes.  It really means a lot, you have no idea.

As far as my laptop goes...one night about a month ago before I went to bed, a message popped up saying I needed to install the latest round of Windows Updates, and the message also said that it was going to uninstall Adobe Flash because that program is no longer supported.  I pressed the install button and went to bed.  When I got up in the morning, my computer was frozen and I couldn't get it to boot.  I tried a few different things, and eventually gave up and took it to a repair guy.  He told me this was actually not an uncommon problem and the same thing had happened to several other people when they uninstalled Flash. Apparently the problem was that if you installed Flash yourself manually, Windows couldn't do the uninstall and it would screw up your operating system.  The guy tried a factory reset and reinstalling the operating system, but it still wouldn't work. The guy figured that in the process of removing Flash, the Windows update had fried my Video Card, and which had in turn fried my motherboard. The guy told me that repair could cost as much as $350.00 and my laptop honestly wasn't worth a repair of that much.   I asked him to rescue as much of my data as he could.  I bought a used, reconditioned portable hard drive and the repair guy moved as much of my data as he could onto the portable hard drive.  I learned my lesson, and I'm never letting that happen again.  From now on, I'm backing everything up onto my new (used) portable hard drive.

Here's the problem...

I have saved all my podcasts and all my recaps in a folder directly on my desktop.  It wasn't a shortcut it was actually a folder on my desktop.  The dude I hired was able to salvage all my data that was saved in the file libraries of my fried laptop, and he transferred them onto my new (used) portable hard drive...but for whatever reason, all the stuff I had saved directly on my desktop was lost.  That includes the recaps I had already written.  I was well into recapping the episode of "Conversations with Conrad" featuring Jim Crockett Jr., and both the interview and the recaps were lost.  Plus I had let my membership to Ad Free Shows lapse, so I had no way of getting the interview back...besides the idea of starting that recap all over again did not exactly fill me with happiness.

I was actually leasing the laptop from one of those "Rent To Own" places, so when the repair guy I hired couldn't fix it, I just sent it back.  The Rent To Own place had their repair guy look at it, and he told me the exact same thing the guy I hired told me.  Trust me, if they could have fixed it they would have...because as it turns out, as a condition of my lease...if the laptop breaks while I am renting it, and it isn't my fault...then they have to replace it with no cost to me.  So they begrudgingly gave me a brand new laptop, which is actually significantly better than the one that died.  So when it comes to getting a new laptop, I'm in okay shape.  The lease on this new one runs until November and then I own it...but as I said, this is actually a decent laptop compared to my old one.  And I have a lot of my old files and stuff (music, movies, pictures, etc.) on my new portable hard drive...but the two main casualties were a folder with my work files, and my recaps.  I have since discovered after doing some research that you should never save files directly on your desktop, because file backup and file recovery programs will not save files from your desktop.  Who knew?

I was in the process of trying to figure out what I wanted to do about that, when my condition took a turn for the worse and I ended up in and out of the hospital a couple of times.  I have been off work for a couple of years dealing with this ongoing illness, and during that whole time my only real companion has been my dog. It wasn't unusual for me to have a day where I didn't interact with another person, or even talk to anybody...especially since the pandemic hit.  But he was always with me, all the time like a family member. (Hell, I'd have taken him over a few members of my actual family.) As I posted here at PWO or listened to podcast and typed up recaps, he'd be laying across my feet.  If I watched TV he'd sleeping across my lap.  And no sooner did my laptop croak and I end up in and out of the hospital...and then he got very sick and passed away.  By that point, I pretty much threw in the towel.  I lost my enthusiasm for pretty much everything.

As I said...I really do greatly appreciate everybody's kind words either in this thread, or by PM.  It really does mean a great deal.  I also appreciate the advice regarding the computer problems, and the very generous offers to assist me in getting a new one.  But I am okay, in that department.  I know from experience that after a while, (if my health allows) my interest in listening to podcasts will probably return, and I am sure my compulsive need to write needlessly long posts here at PWO will reassert itself, and it won't be long before I start posting recaps again.

I am actually quite intrigued by the new podcast Jeff Jarrett is going to be doing with Conrad Thompson, and I am seriously considering resubscribing to Ad Free Shows in order to check that out.  And if I do, then I will get access back to all the content that I lost in the great laptop disaster of 2021.  Even the interminably long interview with cranky old Jim Crockett, during which he uttered the phrase "I don't remember" approximately 527,000 times.

But in the meantime, I really did want to thank everybody for their kindness.

This is good news! Thanks for sharing and providing an update. I hope things move in a positive direction for you!

The JJ podcast would be interesting if he was going to be honest. 2004 JJ podcast would have been interesting, 2021 WWE HOF JJ though? How much is he willing to say. JJ doesn't come off as bitter about anything and had mended a lot of bridges over the year, to various degrees, so hearing a level headed JJ talk about CWA and CWF should be fun. I would like to hear more of that, but I know that's just me. Now that I think about it, I don't think we ever got JJ's taken on Bash At The Beach 2000, The Hardy Final Deletion/Broken Matt Hardy lawsuit, or the whole Billy Corgan fiasco. I'll give the first few episodes a listen, but it it goes the same direction as the Bischoff podcast, I will be checked out before episode 5.

I know a lot of people were less than enthused about the idea of a Jeff Jarrett podcast, and to a degree I get that.  But a lot of people just have the automatic reaction of "Jeff Jarrett LOLTNA" and I think that might be a mistake.  Like you said, there are things in his background which could be quite interesting.  If you look at it...

• Jeff Jarrett literally grew up in the Pro Wrestling business.  His Grandmother and then Father ran one of the most notorious territories in the entire territory system.  Think of the things he probably saw just growing up.
  • He actually worked in the dying days of the territories (I remember first seeing him in one of the Apter mags when I was around 15 years old)
  • He has a run in the WWF at the tail end of their boom period
  • He walks out on them after a contract dispute in 1996
  • He goes to WCW and becomes a member of the Four Horsemen
  • He goes back to the WWF during the height of the Attitude Era
  • He gets involved in a backstage conflict with the WWF's #1 star including that infamous "shoot" promo where he accuses Austin of being blasphemous so Austin refuses to work with him
  • He walks out on Vince and actually holds him up for the money he is owed before he agrees to drop the IC title to Chyna
  • He walks back into WCW into a Main Event spot due to his friendship with Vince Russo
  • He's present for the death of WCW
  • He gets told on live television that he's fired by Vince McMahon
  • He starts TNA...including all the drama that involved in the early days due to the financial problems and conflict between his Father and Vince Russo
  • He has a falling out with his Father and doesn't talk to him for years
  • He gets involved with Panda Energy...there's probably a year's worth of podcasts right there
  • He has a falling out with Vince Russo
  • He gets run out of his own company for having an affair with the wife of one of TNA's top stars...right after his own wife dies of Cancer
  • He starts Global Force
  • He makes up with TNA
  • He develops major league substance abuse problems and gets into all sorts of drama at independent shows and in Mexico
  • He gets fired from TNA (again)
  • He sues Impact Wrestling
  • Then out of nowhere...he makes up with the WWF and gets inducted into the Hall of Fame and gets a producing job out of the deal

There is a hell of a lot of potential material there...and it could be fascinating stuff.  The only things standing in the way are, how forthcoming will Jarrett be with information,(especially since he works for Vince again) how good of a storyteller is he, and most importantly...is Conrad Thompson willing to actually delve into the interesting topics on that bullet point list, or is he going to make us relive the damn Attitude Era again, like he has with Prichard, Bischoff, JR and now Kurt Angle?  I swear, I think Conrad has covered the final episode of Nitro with literally all of his co-hosts.  I don't want to hear about that again.

But if Jarrett is given the right topics, if he is willing to get into details, and is even remotely interesting...I think this could be one hell of a podcast.  Apparently the topic for the debut episode is going to be the night he walked out on the WWF and held up Vince before he did the job for Chyna...so we'll see.  I may take a crack at that, if I can get my hands on it.