Pro Wrestling Only

Winning streaks - good or bad?

flyonthewall2983

Also here's a good winning streak that ended well: The Shield's undefeated run in 6-man tags from 2012-13, that ended when Daniel Bryan tapped out Seth Rollins in the Bryan/Kane/Orton vs. The Shield match. That big win was the start of Bryan's main event push that culminated in him beating Cena at Summerslam.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, I was reminded of this.  I was watching the fan made documentary that chronicled Ric Flair’s journey from leaving WCW, to winning the WWF title at the Royal Rumble.

In the parts that discussed the lead up to the Survivor Series/This Tuesday In Texas Hogan-Taker title changes, Undertaker being undefeated is mentioned, and it was a thing often mentioned on television.  Then he got beat, I forget if it was at a house show or a TV taping, and it was never brought up again.

I think a lot it hinges on how the streak is treated following getting snapped.  Granted technically after turning face Taker was shifted from the Main Event title scene to Main Event Attraction slot, but him no longer being undefeated wasn’t a factor after facing Hogan for the title in two PPVs.

On 1/24/2021 at 1:35 AM, joeg said:

From the time he lost his feud with CM Punk in Spring/Summer of 2012 to the time he and Kane dropped the tag belts to The Sheild at Extreme Rules in May 2013, Bryan didn't lose on TV or PPV!

Where does this come from? Bryan lost a ton of matches in that timeframe on every show and was usually on the losing end of the one half of a team works singles matches in Team Hell No feuds, in addition to a handful of Team Hell No losses in non title matches.

Looking it up, from just singles matches following the Punk 2012 feud... and not including DQ/Countouts.

7/30/12 RAW: Loss to Sheamus (street fight)
8/6/12 RAW: Loss to Cena
8/17/12 SD: Loss to Orton
9/14/12 SD: Loss to Sheamus
9/21/12 SD: Loss to Cody Rhodes
10/12/12 SD: Loss to Alberto del Rio
10/15/12 RAW: Loss to Big Show
10/22/12 RAW: Loss to Dolph Ziggler
10/26/12 SD:  Loss to Damien Sandow
11/5/12 RAW: Loss to Cody Rhodes
11/26/12 RAW: Loss to Rey Mysterio
12/7/12 SD: Loss to Big Show
2/6/13 Main Event: Loss to Damien Sandow
2/11/13 RAW: Loss to Chris Jericho
2/18/13:RAW: Loss to Jack Swagger
3/11/13 RAW: Loss to Dolph Ziggler
3/23/13 Saturday Morning Slam: Loss to Mark Henry
4/1/13: RAW: Loss to Dolph Ziggler
4/8/13 RAW: Loss to Big E
4/30/13 RAW: Loss to Ryback
then the tag title loss in May.

3 hours ago, SteveJRogers said:

FWIW, I was reminded of this.  I was watching the fan made documentary that chronicled Ric Flair’s journey from leaving WCW, to winning the WWF title at the Royal Rumble.

In the parts that discussed the lead up to the Survivor Series/This Tuesday In Texas Hogan-Taker title changes, Undertaker being undefeated is mentioned, and it was a thing often mentioned on television.  Then he got beat, I forget if it was at a house show or a TV taping, and it was never brought up again.

I think a lot it hinges on how the streak is treated following getting snapped.  Granted technically after turning face Taker was shifted from the Main Event title scene to Main Event Attraction slot, but him no longer being undefeated wasn’t a factor after facing Hogan for the title in two PPVs.

Taker actually lost his first match at an international event in Spain against Tito Santana but I don't think that ever was mentioned on TV at the time.

4 hours ago, SteveJRogers said:

The Survivor Series build was already BS because he lost to Ultimate Warrior at house shows all over the country that summer. I believe the "undefeated streak" ended with Tuesday in Texas, since Hogan technically won that match.