Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 01/11 - 01/17 Ben shat the bed, good. Mayfield having a good playoff game? Hmm

KawadaSmile

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I read on various news sites, WWE expected things to be much worse as they expected more cases after the holidays. There's apparently an unnamed Smackdown roster member who tested positive last week as well. It's seemingly implied that with all major promotions being affected by this outbreak, talents who'll test positive probably attended the same gatherings.

Is WWE too big to die? In my life time I have seen a lot of pro wrestling companies come & go. The one constant has always been WWE. Now they're publicly traded & seemingly bigger than ever. But Vince McMahon is going to die during my lifetime - more than likely - and I have no idea what that will mean for the future of the company going forward. They've removed house shows entirely & currently have no paid attendance. So I imagine that has also tanked merch sales. You can pretty much get WWE Network for free, so they're not even really getting PPV money anymore. It feels like all of their eggs currently exist in the TV contracts basket & 1. TV is a dying medium & 2. they're definitely not going to get those huge contracts again with the way the ratings have been going & how bad the advertising money for wrestling shows is. And I believe the Saudi deal is over as well so that money also is seemingly gone?

So... what's the business strategy going forward, as the wrestling company does everything it can do to not be a wrestling company? Triple H going to take it over with Steph & try to convince shareholders that it'll still be the same well-oiled, money-making machine? I feel like they need to do something big & drastic with the WWE network soon. Might we see WWE become solely a WWE Network product without anymore USA or FOX involvement in the future?

19 minutes ago, sek69 said:

It's interesting to me that WWE announced this, seeing as though prior they would be very upset at anyone announcing their status.

He's the world champion who just shot a major angle with Goldberg. They can't just put him on ice and pretend he doesn't exist like they could with most of the roster.

13 minutes ago, Coffey said:

They've removed house shows entirely & currently have no paid attendance. So I imagine that has also tanked merch sales.

Actually, the Observer reported a while back that merch sales are virtually identical to what they were pre-COVID due to sales on WWE Shop skyrocketing. Whether the talent is receiving a similar amount of merch revenue as before is another story.

1 hour ago, NintendoLogic said:

Actually, the Observer reported a while back that merch sales are virtually identical to what they were pre-COVID due to sales on WWE Shop skyrocketing. Whether the talent is receiving a similar amount of merch revenue as before is another story.

That's actually really shocking to me. I guess I just assumed with less people watching & attending, less people would be spending. So are the remaining fans just buying more to make-up for the less people or, how does this work? That's crazy.

18 minutes ago, Alucard said:

Rumors of doing Triple H vs Orton tonight in place of the previously announced Orton/McIntyre match. 

I mean, considering that the endgame probably is supposed to remain the same - being The Fiend's "resurrection" -,  they can feel like Triple H vs Orton is as good a replacement they can put agains the CFP title game than the original Drew vs Orton plans. I'm just curious as to how they'll set up that match tonight

8 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Thank goodness... What a fresh, exciting, new match!

If we're lucky, maybe they can bring back THE ANIMAL BATISTA and Evolution can ride again! But then, oh no, here comes The New Age Outlaws & X-Pac with HBK The Heartbreak Kid, Mr. Wrestlemania, Shawn Michaels! Now The Game, the Cerebral Assassin, the King of Kings... has to choose where his loyalties are! Does he choose Evolution or DGeneration-X!? What's that? *glass shatters* My God! It's Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Texas Rattlesnake! The Bionic Redneck is asking Hunter if he wants to bring back the 2-Man Power Trip! OH MYYYYY what is HHH going to do?? We'll be back, as WWE Monday Night RAW rolls onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

8 minutes ago, Coffey said:

If we're lucky, maybe they can bring back THE ANIMAL BATISTA and Evolution can ride again! But then, oh no, here comes The New Age Outlaws & X-Pac with HBK The Heartbreak Kid, Mr. Wrestlemania, Shawn Michaels! Now The Game, the Cerebral Assassin, the King of Kings... has to choose where his loyalties are! Does he choose Evolution or DGeneration-X!? What's that? *glass shatters* My God! It's Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Texas Rattlesnake! The Bionic Redneck is asking Hunter if he wants to bring back the 2-Man Power Trip! OH MYYYYY what is HHH going to do?? We'll be back, as WWE Monday Night RAW rolls onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Sadly, all of this would be 100x more compelling than whatever we do get.

2 minutes ago, Tenese Sarwieh said:

Man I feel bad for Drew, they give him the opportunity then covid hits with no fans and now he gets a case of the rona. Only saving grace I can think about all of this is their a hold put on the Goldberg match.

That would imply he won't have a speedy recovery, wouldn't it?