Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - January 20, NOT 29, 2021

MoS

Man, once they pull the trigger on Sammy Guevara's babyface turn, they can strap a rocket to him because he's gonna be over AF. I was rooting big time for Sammy/Hager tonight.

And I'm very intrigued by the AEW Women's World Title Eliminator. They seemingly are going with the US vs Japan thing for this one.

Jericho needs to stop doing any kind of athletic spots. He is either botching his own moves or being wildly out of position for others' moves. Be the worlds best Abby/Necro instead, he is good enough to extract great mileage from that. 

I thought this was a weak episode. Not bad at all, and there were some really great things here, like the Hangman/Dark Order shit and Jake and Kingston going at it. But I am very cold on this Omega/Callis/Elite implosion angle, and it had zero progression. Same with Darby/Sting v. Team Taz, although at least Taz cut a great promo, and unlike the former, I am invested in where this leads. The main event was great as a showcase for Sammy but I thought it had too much Hager. If you want Sammy to be the de facto face, don't pair him with fucking Hager! 

I guess people's opinion of the show will depend on what they think of the Omega/Callis thing. I haven't been impressed or invested in it so far, so this episode left me cold.

9 hours ago, Log said:

This might be the best I’ve ever seen Hager look. He rocked MJF with that punch!

I was thinking the same thing. The 1-2 punch of kicking Jericho straight in the face and the grin followed by the punch on MJF was both terrific as spots and great babyface work. I can totally see him and Sammy as a babyface tag-team now. I was quite afraid for Jericho on that Lionsault. Damn Chris, more Tenryuesque heavy chops and less flying around, don't Hayabusa yourself at 50 ! BTW, how do you like the Inter Circle, JR ?

Callis is just the best. I just waited 23 years to see him finally be the great one he was always supposed to be. Omega looks like the biggest douchebag star in these outfits, I'm glad the Cleaner came back. 

So, no one is talking about how good Nick Comoroto looked against Mox ? This guy has tons of potential and a total throwback look, I thought here would be the place where people would go gaga on him. Speaking about potential, Leila Hirsch is just that. She is also *just* that for now, like many other women in AEW, but it's a build to the futur. Pretty intrigued about this world tournament too and I hope we get nice surprise entrants in this.

Ok, Private Party turning heel thanks to Matt Hardy (who walks like the Iron Sheik now, which is both sad and oddly appealing for an old fan) is just what they needed because they'll learn so much and this is gonna do them a whole lot of good. Plus they really were gonna get outshadowed by those pesky Top Flight brothers as babyfaces anyway, so all of this is all good !

Hangman Page is the most fascinating character as a tragic and sad figure and he's such a great worker, only getting better. Great opening segment from A to Z. The Brodie kids sure will have some nice memories of this tragic period in the futur.

Taz is cutting his weekly great promo, Sting is collecting easy paychecks (I mean, his first appearance was totally awesome, but it's clearly been a case of diminishing returns with each passing week as he's been doing the same almost nothing.... him being a weekly character doesn't really work thus far and it's not like he can work anymore and he's 60 so why would anyone want to watch him work now ?).

Yeah, Cody & Shak is the mainstream feud I couldn't care less about. At least they had Cargill do what she does best this week, stand there, look awesome and don't say nothing. The Miro/Taylor bit was quite underwhelming too honestly, but the wedding should be fun, because nothing is more fun than a ruined wedding ceremony. IMPACT has done a masterful job with weddings in the last two years, but in the serious (Cage/Santos/Callihan) and absurd (Bravo/Rosemary) vein, so lets see how AEW does it.

23 hours ago, Log said:

Eh, Shaq still has some pull. His DJ sets draw huge crowds and he’s still active on NBA tv. They can cross promote on TNT’s NBA coverage and maybe get some folks to take a look. 
Is it enough to really make a huge impact? Probably not. But he’s not totally irrelevant. 

*Full disclosure, my wife works for one of the companies (yes, there are many) that Shaq endorses. She’s actually worked directly with him on a few things. 

I feel like the last time NBA fans got a look, it didn't go so well. Hopefully they learned from that whole debacle. 

Dunno if anyone remembers Sting beating up a twelve-year old (didn't air in my catchment area), but a synopsis reads: 

Sting serves him an ass whooping for the ages, slamming him to the ground, chucking him through an open bay door, and using his body to sweep a myriad of decorative objects off his parent's mantle. 

As an anti-Stinger, I reckon this is as good as I've seen him wrestle since 1992 ;)